Christmas Shopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Shopping

So, it is that time of year again where we'll attempt to figure out what it is that our family & friends may want/need/find entertaining or fun, and buy it for them. There are many people that revel in this kind of consumer behavior. These people often have a knack for it; they can pick out something and, without fail, the recipient will be thrilled to have gotten it. Some of us here at Tactical Gamer may even have this (dare I say) gift...

...but hopefully none of you were THOSE people, pitching a tent and un-furling the sleeping bags, in front of the local Best Buy's on November 24th so they can be first to trample the poor employee who had to unlock the door and start the Black Friday Madness-o-Mania.

Then there are those people out there that stand in front of a wall of toys, a stack of blankets, or a rack of Blu-Ray players, a few days before the 25th, and you go completely blank. Then the doubt starts to creep in: "Does this person really need and/or want this? Should I just get a gift card; would that be rude? What is the latest and greatest kid toys (not the toys that the news does a piece on every years, like the ones I saw as a kid that were lame...)" and so on, and so on.

That is me in a nutshell around this time of year.

So, in this thread, lets talk about some of you previous holiday shopping mishaps, some great ideas for gifts, what you've gotten particularly picky people as gifts that they enjoyed, and other such stories. I've got some good ones that I'll write up in a bit.

I'm going out right now to go and shop at our mall right now, and thought this might make for a good thread. When I get back I'll write up a cool story, bro. :icon14:

:row__587:

Happy Holidays to everyone here at Tactical Gamer, as well as to their families and dear friends.
    I hope everyone has an awesome--and safe--holiday season and a happy New Year.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Christmas Shopping

One time I was at a toy store, it was one of them big chains, and that year an Elmo toy was really big.

I turned a corner into THE aisle, and one entire side was completely stocked with this new Elmo. I wasn't sure--at all--what all the the fuss was about with it, but it was HUGE that year (all over the news, internet ads, commercials, etc). "Are they like the 'Tickle Me Elmo's'", I thought as I walked through them, their bulbous, white eyes each containing a manic dilated pupil.

I hate Elmo.

I notice that these Elmo's are all free-standing, holding their hands in a "raise the roof gesture", and I stop in the middle of the aisle to study one. A bright red-and-yellow sticker proclaims "Try Me!" on one of his up-raised hands.

I press it, and the damnedest thing happened.

The one that I had activated started hopping up and down, real fast, but it had NO ROOM to jump between the shelves. It was like playing Pong with both paddles right next to each other. Elmo start vibrating between the shelves into the next one and knocked it to the ground. As soon as Elmo No. 2 hit the ground it started having a Sesame seizure as its legs began kicking and its hands thrusting out in a horizontal-hop. Meanwhile, back on the shelf, Elmo No. 1 has somehow activated two of his buddies that where one row back--by ricocheting into them, or something--and the whole sheet-metal shelf is now starting to vibrate.

A domino affect has started. Elmo after Elmo starts getting froggy, or falling over, or going off the shelf to have a seizure on the linoleum. And I am useless. I am standing there, and there is nothing I can do but wait for the cycles to end on the toys because there is no "OFF" button.

I checked.

I immediately sped out of there with my cart and mad several quick turns down random aisles before I realized I was being stupid and went to tell a worker vaguely what happened. I then went back to the aisle and joked about it as we picked up about 8 from the ground, and uprighted another 10 on the shelf.

It was most entertaining Elmo has EVER been.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I'll never forget how pleased I was with myself for getting my girlfriend a cashmere sweater for our first Christmas. She was very appreciative, but never wore it because it was too hot. We're married now, but I never buy her clothing unless told specifically what she wants.
      |TG|Melee
      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

That's the only way to go [MENTION=7529]Melee[/MENTION]. I'd rather spoil the surprise than guess when it come ma to her gift. The right choice can keep you out of the dog house thru March
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
          ...We're married now, but I never buy her clothing unless told specifically what she wants.
          Straight up.

Your special lady friend will basically, if not outright, tell you what she wants. It is usually done with not so subtle hints, but I've seen it shoot over the heads of many friends. Hell, it probably happens all the time with me.

On another note, has anyone bought any drones, either for personal use or as a gift? If so, how much were they and how fun was it? I've been looking at maybe getting a cheap one for my nephew, but I know I'll get what I pay for.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X