Did you know....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know....

That for certain large values of M and N where M and N correspond to the two relations you intend to join (generally if both relations are larger than main memory and are of similar size, a few other constraints apply but are longer than I wish to get into), it can be cheaper to construct a hash index on the fly than to do a block nested loops join? Neither did I. Not good.

I really hate finals. :(

--Dep

Thanks Dep. That clears that right up.

:P
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

WOW That has been bugging me for years. Thanks me

I love useless info LOL :D
      WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Comment

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.

5 is a sufficiently-close approximation of pi.
        "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Goedel's incompleteness theroem:

The proof of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem is so simple, and so sneaky, that it is almost embarassing to relate. His basic procedure is as follows:

[code:1]

1.Someone introduces Gödel to a UTM, a machine that is supposed to be a Universal Truth Machine, capable of correctly answering any question at all.

2.Gödel asks for the program and the circuit design of the UTM. The program may be complicated, but it can only be finitely long. Call the program P(UTM) for Program of the Universal Truth Machine.

3.Smiling a little, Gödel writes out the following sentence: "The machine constructed on the basis of the program P(UTM) will never say that this sentence is true." Call this sentence G for Gödel. Note that G is equivalent to: "UTM will never say G is true."

4.Now Gödel laughs his high laugh and asks UTM whether G is true or not.

5.If UTM says G is true, then "UTM will never say G is true" is false. If "UTM will never say G is true" is false, then G is false (since G = "UTM will never say G is true"). So if UTM says G is true, then G is in fact false, and UTM has made a false statement. So UTM will never say that G is true, since UTM makes only true statements.

6.We have established that UTM will never say G is true. So "UTM will never say G is true" is in fact a true statement. So G is true (since G = "UTM will never say G is true").

7."I know a truth that UTM can never utter," Gödel says. "I know that G is true. UTM is not truly universal."
          [/code:1]

rational thought can never penetrate to the final ultimate truth. Attribution
          ;)
          bah.. finals :twisted:

Comment

And the worst part is that the databases final was sadistically easy.

But you say "thats good, right?" I guess it can be, but easy means that the curve will be insanely strict, and I wasted about 2 days of my life studying for it. ARGH.

I want to bite something.

Comment

Originally posted by Deprecated
              I'm thinking a TSA Marine might be tasty.... :)
              I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by fr1j0l3
                rational thought can never penetrate to the final ultimate truth.
                If you can manage to remove yourself from the system for which you're defining the "ulltimate truth" for, then you can find said truth. Thus, if you want to explain everything in our universe with a finite set of truths, you need to basically become a god :)

A wonderful piece of fiction based on the same principle of "stepping out of the system": Flatland.
                "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by HSantal
                  Originally posted by Deprecated
                  I'm thinking a TSA Marine might be tasty.... :)
                  Or a lime....

:twisted:
                  I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X