Vive Owners club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vive Owners club

OK who else besides me bought a vive this morning?

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Re: Vive Owners club

Not me, i am trying to wait until the tech matures. I have used an Oculus and it was very cool, so why the vive over it?

Comment

IMO I think the tracking method makes more sense and will be more robust for not losing tracking. The fact it is steam direct means that I feel a lot more games will be made vive compatible. Controllers are already included and not something you'll need to buy later on(though the occulus controllers do look more comfortable)

Comment

This is out?? I might have to book my vacation based on delivery date!!

That is after a new PC and graphic cards. I'm still excited and can't wait to get one. How is the vertigo while flying?
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Not out, pre-order opened today arrival in early april. DCS is why I bought it, I will let you know as soon as I get it! ArmA is also listed as Vive compatbile which will be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
            Not out, pre-order opened today arrival in early april. DCS is why I bought it, I will let you know as soon as I get it! ArmA is also listed as Vive compatbile which will be interesting to see
            The occulus is ArmA compatible too. The trouble you run in to is what display resolution does it use? You might have to suffer lower resolution for the VR stuff. I have the occulus and it works amazing. So glad to see this tech finally hitting the market!

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
              The occulus is ArmA compatible too. The trouble you run in to is what display resolution does it use? You might have to suffer lower resolution for the VR stuff. I have the occulus and it works amazing. So glad to see this tech finally hitting the market!
              Both rift cv1 and Vive are 2160 x 1200, DK2 is 1920 x 1080

Resolution will still be an issue but I think given the increased immersion and increased situational awareness it will make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                Not me, i am trying to wait until the tech matures. I have used an Oculus and it was very cool, so why the vive over it?
                It has 'room scale' tracking instead of tracking just a seated position so you can get up and move around. Peek around corners, look under a desk, etc.

It comes with hand tracking. The rift will have it eventually, but it means anything developed for the vive will be able to rely on it. Rift stuff will have to assume that you might only have a gamepad.

No facebook connection

Its store solution is a much more open platform. OVR store is looking kinda closed garden right now.

I sort of want to order one, but I already ordered a Rift and $800 is a lot of money. There is so much uncertainity right now how all this stuff is going to shake out over the next couple of years. Plus there is the promise that gen 2 will come soon and make gen 1 look like a kids toy.

Comment

Vive hype!

In regards to OR vs Vive, for the first generation or two I think the Vive approach (lasers and controllers) will beat out IR and cameras based on my experiences with trying to get TrackIR to work. As the camera hardware and software matures it will easily beat the laser/peripheral setup for room scale primarily because it will be able to better integrate existing furniture or other players.

On the other hand, I do think it's interesting that Facebook wants to put potentially room mapping cameras in everybody's houses that they have a good excuse to leave in "standby mode" all the time. Palmer is kind of being an ***hat in trying to build a closed garden VR approach, but I can also sympathize with not wanting to just disappear into Valve's sphere of influence.

Also, ArmA in VR is wishful thinking right now. You must drive 90fps (45 for each eye) or better at all times to minimize the risk of nausea that comes from mismatched movements and visuals. Maybe guys like Dyslecxi who have spent years squeezing every last frame out of the best hardware other people's patreon and youtube money can buy, but the majority of ArmA players struggle to push 60 when the going gets hot, and going down to 30 is common on big (or poorly scripted) missions.

Comment

Yeah that's a good point with fps I think it will be restricted to simple single player missions for now.

Comment

All good info. Im getting only 30fps as it is in Arma so looks like its time for a rig and wait for the next version.

Pretty exciting tech though. Hadnt heard of this facebook camera stuffs.
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer
                      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                      189th Infantry Brigade Member
                      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I'm a college student. I was so sad to see the price and how it would be un-wise for me to order them :( On the other hand, having to do with immersion and how it can even improve your Vive experience: 3d spatial audio :) Ossic X my friends.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-calibrated-t

Watched their podcast with Maximum PC and some of there other info, is very legit. Backed these babies because in a year, my headset will prolly be ready to be replaced. The science behind these matched with the amount of awesome technology just made me try to throw my wallet at them.
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I don't know if that will be much improved from normal spatial audio. Have you tried spatial audio with your current headset?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
                            I don't know if that will be much improved from normal spatial audio. Have you tried spatial audio with your current headset?
                            Tracking the head will help a lot. If you move your head around it should help to localize audio quite a bit.

Comment

I guess that makes sense, just not sure it'd add enough difference to tell I guess time will tell

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X