Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: Bridge Crew

For those of you with the cash and a VR headset:

I'm just hoping this isn't strictly for VR interface only.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Cool!!!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

That does look cool!

Unfortunately, all the companies making VR gear (that I am aware of) are choosing to be greedy and short sighted and build their business models around the proprietary lock in / silo / walled garden model where certain games will only be released on certain platforms. So it will be like console wars all over again. So forgive me if I can't get excited about the nascent VR industry.

But I suppose that's par for the course in gaming in general. Same reason we get buggy releases, nickel and dimed for DLC, games not living up to expectations / what was shown off at the convention and all the other nonsense. We have had this discussion before, but I think it boils down to the fact that there is forever a new crop of young gamers coming up who don't know any better, or more accurately, don't demand any better. People keep plunking down their hard earned shekels for crap, so crap is what we will continue to be served.

Of course that could be expanded into a larger critique of society in general. If I've learned one thing during my recent foray into politics is that most people are apathetic about what goes on, don't pay attention, don't vote, etc. -- the SEP fields are numerous and strong, as are the general populace's inclination toward panem et circenses. Therefore we end up with exactly the video games, technology (or political candidates, or whatever) that we deserve.

Very few people are interested in talking about issues that actually matter. This is a product of decades of onslaught of corporate marketing to buy buy buy as well as a general weakening of our educational system, in particular logic and reasoning, as well as the humanities (literally, the study of the things that make us human). Your corporate overlords don't want "consumers" questioning the meaning of their existence nor man's place on Earth or in the universe, etc. They just want highly indoctrinated technocrats to do their "job" so that the few can keep on living in luxury by way of the toil of the many. And so that is what our education system has been designed to produce. This one little VR equipment issue is just one small symptom of a much much larger problem.

I guarantee someone will reply to this thread and tell me to take it to The Sandbox or whatever, "you got politics into my gaming" or other such thoughts. Which only serve to demonstrate exactly my point. The cognitive dissonance is strong!

Wake up people. It's only going to keep getting worse if we don't address the underlying fundamental issues.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I got an Oculus Rift so I'd give this a go.
        Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Neither VR company is building a walled garden to the extent of ... say ... Apple with iOS devices. But Oculus (owned by Facebook) is close. Any PC VR game you buy at the Oculus Store can only be played with the Oculus Rift. Further, Oculus is paying game developers to keep games exclusive to the Oculus Store for some period of time, like 6 months or a year after their game launch. Therefore, many VR games will be exclusive to the Oculus Rift, not for hardware compatibility reasons, but for political reasons.

The Oculus Rift headset itself is not locked to the Oculus Store. You can use the Rift with software from other sources, most notably Steam.

The HTC Vive, likewise, is not locked to any particular VR app store. Problem is, with Oculus Store locked away, there is only one decent VR app store left. Steam.

Here, I'll draw a picture to show the sad state of affairs:

Keep in mind that Oculus Store is the one buying up lots of exclusive games.

Comment

I'd love to see how the OSVR headsets compare to these.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
            [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
            [support]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse