Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 user reviews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 user reviews?

Hey all, anyone running a GTX 1080/1070. Could you share your thoughts/impressions performance wise? If possible could you detail your system specs, resolution, games your playing with settings and performance.

I'm in the process of rebuilding and would appreciate some trustworthy insight.

Thanks

Re: Nvidia GTX 1080 & 1070 user reviews?

@Mantak - Has a 1070 and loves it.

Comment

I just installed it yesterday, the Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC-version. Only tried BF4 last night, and it's pushing 80-120 FPS solidly on all ultra max settings. Not really a big improvement over the GTX 970 in that game but will help in both squad and BF1 later this year i think.

Other specs is: i5 4690k, 16gb ram, SSD disks, Asus 1080p 144hz monitor.

Will do some more testing in squad.

Comment

Thanks Jeepo & Super!

Comment

I grabbed the basic Gigabyte Windforce 1070 when it launched about a month ago. It was the cheapest variant out there and initial stock at the launch lasted for over 12 hours on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125875

I needed the upgrade badly because I was still on a 670(also a Windforce which served me well - hence some trust in buying the "cheap" card) and I also bought a Dell S2716DG monitor about a month before the gpu. 27in 1440p Gsync 1ms

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260333

So far everything has performed as expected and the combo has definitely taken the pc gaming experience to a whole new level.

At 1440p mostly max settings I've noticed these framerates from these games I've been playing:

- Rocket League: Full 144 - RL with high refresh rate and Gsync is bliss - a whole new game.
          - Overwatch - I seem to hover around 90-120 I'd say.
          - Doom Demo - inside portion I think I was 75-95 - outside 95-125 - going by memory here.
          - BF4 - only did some quick specator tests but it was around 100 I believe.
          - GTAV - Seemed to be around 70.

Something I did not realize is that Nvidia's GPU boost will take every GTX 1070 up close to or likely above 1900 on the core clock without any overclocking. So when the specs of any card give core clocks in the 1500's or 1600s - your really gonna be stable at 1850 minimum at load.

I am slowly upping the overclock on the card - taking days in between playing the various games I play to make sure it is stable. ATM I have it +140 on the core and it is boosting early up to about 2050 and then as the temp rises it settles down to about 2000-2012 - max temp I've noticed is 73C. So not sure yet where I'll top out but reading around it seems the consensus seems to be that regardless of what card you buy it will be difficult to max above 2100. Grabbing a card with a great cooling solution will help avoid downclocking at higher temps(it seems to kick in when your card gets in the 60s) but I don't think a huge investment in water or "Extreme" card is going to open up crazy high overclocks.

Other specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBz8Yr

p.s. To any readers in the US, that monitor is on sale right now at bestbuy if you want to jump onboard the Gsync train and can live with a TN monitor. A high end monitor really locks you into having high end gpus but if the funds are there the combo really is a game changer imo.
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Mantis ole chap that's fantastic thank you. You read my mind on the monitor too, definitely looking at 1440p 120 Hz g-sync. Currently running a 1920 x 1200 Dell IPS which has the best image quality and colour reproduction I've ever seen but the higher res and higher (synchronized) refresh rate is very tempting. Great info again thanks.

Comment

[MENTION=56713]Mantis[/MENTION] - good write up.

I recently upgraded my headphones as my oldies broke and my next upgrade is a monitor and GPU. You have hit on the EXACT combo I was looking for - the only thing that made me hesitate was the price of the monitor, and I didn't quite get the TN differences.

Comment

[MENTION=15691]Jeepo[/MENTION] what headset did you go with, my Sennheiser just died.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                  You have hit on the EXACT combo I was looking for - the only thing that made me hesitate was the price of the monitor, and I didn't quite get the TN differences.
                  What is your current monitor? Are you used to IPS monitors?
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I upgraded from a GTX 980 to a 1080 last month. Not that the 980 was weak, but I wanted to be able to run VR games at higher-than-standard resolution (it gets scaled down to fit the screen, but it looks way nicer). For normal desktop gaming, there isn't much point unless you have a high res, high refresh-rate monitor. Mine is 2560x1440 @ 144hz, and it does improve frame rates quite a lot using the new card.

Comment

[MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION] - I went with this and its by far the best sounding set I have ever had. And my Sennheisers were epic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-...ywords=fidelio

With https://www.amazon.co.uk/BoomPro-Mic...rds=vmoda+boom

The headset is on sale so go nuts! Here is a great review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y2ZZxcBZ88

That guy is pretty good and thorough, if you watch a few. There is a good breakdown here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/commen...phones_gaming/ And here is a general gaming video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63BxrNuXnYg

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                      What is your current monitor? Are you used to IPS monitors?
                      Yeah I have a 1080 IPS and an old 1050 monitor that I will get rid of. At least I think it's IPS - when I bought it I never really cared much. The 1050 needs replaced for sure and this 1080 will get relegated to 2nd monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post

Yeah I have a 1080 IPS and an old 1050 monitor that I will get rid of. At least I think it's IPS - when I bought it I never really cared much. The 1050 needs replaced for sure and this 1080 will get relegated to 2nd monitor.
                        Reviews indicate that monitor is TN - not IPS.

So if you were eyeing that dell I would definitely recommend it since you are used to TN. When it comes to TN panels the dell is top tier and then you add in all the other features: 1440p, 144hz, Gsync, 1ms. Coming from a 1080 60hz monitor to that combo is just a huge jump. Just make sure you get a sale price if you get it - Dell does sales all the time.
                        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Reviews indicate that monitor is TN - not IPS.

So if you were eyeing that dell I would definitely recommend it since you are used to TN. When it comes to TN panels the dell is top tier and then you add in all the other features: 1440p, 144hz, Gsync, 1ms. Coming from a 1080 60hz monitor to that combo is just a huge jump. Just make sure you get a sale price if you get it - Dell does sales all the time.
                          Thank you, appreciate the info!

Comment

Are you used to IPS monitors?
                            Could you elaborate?

EDIT:

Never mind. Educated myself.

IPS can be better than a TN for viewing angle and color reproduction, but generally don't have as good of a response time as the TN.

TIL.

Comment

I have a 970 and upgraded to the Dell G-Sync last December. I can't say enough good things about it. BF4 is so smooth, it has definitely helped my game play.

Some will diss the TN panel, but since I have a window behind me it was a no-brainer to go TN (matte finish reduces reflections).
                              |TG|Melee
                              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...