Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/ECIR2.html

I kinda expected there to be a thread already started about Rita... I just wanted to share this cool photo...

Looks like Louisiana and East Texas are going to get slammed. A lot of people here in Dallas/Fort Worth are freaking out and stockpiling water and gasoline. Good idea, except for the waiting until the last minute part. Oh, and the fist-fighting with other people in stores over a few gallons of water? Not a good idea, either...

But my lawn needs some rain. I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk for saying that... I don't think that this storm is going to be the tragic story that Katrina wrote, although that bus that exploded was pretty horrible...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Rita

Hopefully it won't be too bad for you guys. At least its unlikely to flood the way it did in LA. Hang in there.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

We barely even got any rain at our place.

Comment

my friend priest lives in LA and i think he lives up north...i hope he's okay.

Comment

the storm i heard actually didnt turn out to be much. didnt it actually turn into a category 1 before it hit land? thats what i heard, but the goverment was prepared for this storm because if they messed this up, they would be under alot of critizisim.

Comment

Great image, Cing. It always fascinates me to see the arms of a hurricane sweep over an entire region.. indeed much of our country.. like that.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You could go and find this on CNN but I brought it here to you.
              http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/24/rita.assess/index.html
              Damage Assesment by city and state.
              Even without a direct hit, parts of New Orleans are flooded again...
              -Zephyr
              You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
              We are not a single game.
              We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
              We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                We barely even got any rain at our place.
                Looks like I'm not going to get a single drop of rain... Looks like I'll have a brownish-green lawn for a while longer...

Glad to see that the storm wasn't as big and bad as many feared. Sucks if you had a home in the Ninth Ward, though...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                  the storm i heard actually didnt turn out to be much. didnt it actually turn into a category 1 before it hit land?
                  Between Cat2-3. But before hand Dr. Neil Frank had made the comment that this was one of the largest hurricanes in the Gulf since somewhere around the turn of the last century. People were understandably paranoid. And the only thing this really proves is that even the "best and brightest" have no real idea how to predict mother nature's nuances.

thats what i heard, but the goverment was prepared for this storm because if they messed this up, they would be under alot of critizisim.
                  Remember, in these instances you need to break apart from the whole singluar government entity. The Texas government, while almost fataly flawed in some areas, is still a solid entity that reacts better than most. I can't say much for the way LA handled themselves. But yes, the devastation wrought by Katrina, the massive paranoia worked heavily in Texas' favor.

I will stay away from saying anything on the federal government as to not derail the thread into an area it doesn't need to go.

I still have heard nothing on the news about Port Arthur, TX. I fear the only thing that may be left are the refineries. And considering most of the people I know there were my grandmothers friends, I don't know if there's any way they could have survived. We can only hope.

Comment

i heard about port arthur on the news this morning. i believe that it was one of the hardest places hit, but it was only flooded in some areas and a few trees were down. they were most worried about the levies around the mississippi in the port arthur area.

Comment

My parents live in Houston, it wasn't too bad from what I've heard, very little rain just alot of strong winds. Hopefully, the refineries from Baytown to Beaumont aren't too affected, Baytown alone is home to the largest oil refineries in the U.S.

Comment

There is a 17 foot high protection levee around the southern part of our parish, and The water is 2 feet from cresting the levee. It size of storm doesn't matter it is the time that it lingers in the area. Where I live (<coordinates>-90.29712436415808,29.47328095868761,0</coordinates>), we are surrounded by water that it 15 feet higher than anywhere within the levee system. I'm pretty scared. My boss's ranch is destroyed 6000 acres under 12 feet of water, 1200 head of cattle dead. That is 1.2 million dollars of cattle. People are going crazy thinking that the levee will break. We can't get out if it does, becasue there is only 1 road that is accesssible to leave the area. It sucks, Rita might not be a big storm but the surge is destroying the southern parts of LA. The storm surge is 15 feet, and we live 215 miles east of where it hit.

I'll post pictures in a couple of days of the destrustion in my area, the flood waters, and the hundreds of cattle lost in the flooding of my area outside the levee protection zone.
                        Last edited by .143 Beth©; 09-24-2005, 11:31 PM. Reason: addition. addition

Comment

Originally posted by .143 Beth©
                          (<coordinates>-90.29712436415808,29.47328095868761,0</coordinates>),
                          For anyone looking this up in Google Earth, try this:

29.47328095868761N 90.29712436415808W

It's interesting. The levees are very visable. Why anyone would take so much effort to make dry land like that is beyond me, though. It's like living in a mobile home trailer in the middle of tornado alley if you ask me...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

25% of the nation's oil goes through here >

29.11516070869037N 90.20068311443394W

Port Fourchon (95% of all the people who work in fourchon live in that area). 70% of Louisiana seafood comes through That Levee'ed off area.

I'll post some areas of interesting fact about where I live: via google earth

My house: under the green brush of trees
                            29°28'12.92"N 90°18'44.16"W

Loop Storage facitlity and transfer station: 2% of the nation's oil sits under the ground in vast salt domes, and 25% of the nation's oil is pumped to N.O. here.
                            29°27'47.95"N 90°18'9.03"W

Clovelee Sugarcane field: the biggest sugarcane field owned by one person In LA
                            29°32'12.42"N 90°17'32.17"W

Delta Farms: the previously biggest sugarcane field owned by one person in LA flooded in the 70's
                            29°35'48.34"N 90°19'9.07"W

My boss's ranch: The biggest solid plot of land owned in lafourche parish by one person
                            currently under 12-15 feet of water and 1200 head of cattle died.
                            29°31'19.99"N 90°22'25.20"W

Another place without a protection levee under 8 feet of water everything south of this placemark would now appear blue
                            29°27'0.24"N 90°34'45.74"W

ask me questions about stuff you see down there and I can explain what is going on, or what it is. South Lafourche parish is a very important part of the LA economy, and the US economy. It is very important that is why there is a levee around our area, but the Gov. is not doing enough to protect what is outside the levee to keep it from becoming the gulf of Mexico.
                            Last edited by .143 Beth©; 09-25-2005, 12:09 AM. Reason: locatioon location location

Comment

Here's a post made by someone that decided to "ride 'er out" and never evacuated for Hurricane Rita. He posted in another forum, asking for advice on being compensated by FEMA for injuries incurred during the hurricane:
                              I was waiting for the Hurricane to strike and had everything set up. Generator- Check, 5 days food-Check, 30+ Gal of drinking water-Check, Lawn chairs tied down and hatches battened down-Check. Everything is ready. As the sun poured into my bedroom window I contemplated mowing the yard or maybe going swimming. The stiff 5 mph breeze nixed the swimming but I figured that if I hurried I could get the yard done before the sun went behind some cedar trees that were building up on the horizon. That's where the injury occured. I got a mean sunburn and I was curious if FEMA would help pay for my Aloe Vera gel. Do they have cards for this? Do I have to register? Where the hell is .gov when you need them?
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X