Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damonte's other hobby (picture heavy) (pictures fixed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damonte's other hobby (picture heavy) (pictures fixed)

Many of you may have noticed that Damonte has been markedly absent in recent months. Well, that is because his other hobby has been taking significant amounts of his time. He thought the fine people at TG (and Jeepo) might appreciate some visualization of what has been consuming his time. Admittedly, it is more of an obsession than a hobby.

Above: The first ten feet in the concrete base. The base is 5' of tower in 6yds of concrete.

Above and next three: Attaching the next ten feet to the top of the first ten feet.

Above and next one: Raising the gin pole in preparation to lift the next ten feet up.

Above: Now at 30' of tower

Above: Now at 40' of tower

Above: Now at 50' of tower, just need to add the top plate.

Above and below: Tower fully installed.

The tower is 50' in total. This is only the tower, and the antenna itself is still to come. More pictures then.

Damonte was on the tower for a total of 4 hours during which the heat index hit 104 F. He consumed a burger and four beers after he got down and then took a nap.
    Last edited by Damonte; 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Damonte's other hobby (picture heavy)

I kind of appreciate being singled out! :D

Also, your images are all broke, apart from the first.

Comment

Re: Damonte's other hobby (picture heavy)

Pictures should be fixed now.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Re: Damonte's other hobby (picture heavy) (pictures fixed)

I am guessing the pole to the right on the last frame used like a crain to help lift the next sections to thier place?

Was you working alone or have help to winch the each section?

Love watching things been built

Thanks for sharing

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Are you building your own rollercoaster!?!? Cause that would be cool :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
            I am guessing the pole to the right on the last frame used like a crain to help lift the next sections to thier place?

Was you working alone or have help to winch the each section?

Love watching things been built

Thanks for sharing
            Yes, the tool utilized is called a 'gin pole', though it's probably not the right term. Damonte had a three-person ground crew to do the lifting of the tower sections and raising of the gin pole using block and tackle.

Comment

What is the tower for?

High Amplitude? A late-life interest in circus themed platform diving?

One kick ass Zip Line?

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                What is the tower for?

High Amplitude? A late-life interest in circus themed platform diving?

One kick ass Zip Line?
                Amateur radio. Eventually, the tower will have something like this on it:

Comment

I wonder if you need a permit for erecting a eye sore in your backyard...

50 feet?! Eeesh, I'm scared just being on a 6' ladder. Can't imagine climbing up that thing. So this is just amateur radio or do you have more uses for such a tower?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yo PM me your call. I have a technician license so I stick to 2m but it's cool knowing another ham here.

Why don't you just use a wire antenna system? My old man makes global contacts on 20m with a wire antenna, although we have 50+ foot trees to help rig to.
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      I wonder if you need a permit for erecting a eye sore in your backyard...

50 feet?! Eeesh, I'm scared just being on a 6' ladder. Can't imagine climbing up that thing. So this is just amateur radio or do you have more uses for such a tower?
                      This is just for amateur radio use. There is no permit required, but that's due to the fairly relaxed local regulation in my particular township/county. However, the next county over is much more... stringent in their regulation and many of the cities/townships in that county are even more so. I chose my home knowing I'd want to do this some day.

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                      Yo PM me your call. I have a technician license so I stick to 2m but it's cool knowing another ham here.

Why don't you just use a wire antenna system? My old man makes global contacts on 20m with a wire antenna, although we have 50+ foot trees to help rig to.
                      I have been using wire antennas for the past 4 years. A yagi (beam) like the one I plan to put up top will give me some performance that no wire antenna can do. The biggest features will be gain and side rejection. Because the yagi will be directional, it will have a higher rejection of signals coming from the sides so there will be less noise from signals I want to ignore. The directivity will give be gain on both transmit and receive, so those in the path of the direction of the antenna will hear more of my signal and I'll hear them better as well.

I can talk to everyone in NA and SA with a wire antenna, but it's when I'm trying to reach places like Sri Lanka, Heard Island, South Georgia Island, Western Sahara and other far flung places that a beam becomes necessary. Especially as we go into the low part of the solar cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post

I have been using wire antennas for the past 4 years. A yagi (beam) like the one I plan to put up top will give me some performance that no wire antenna can do. The biggest features will be gain and side rejection. Because the yagi will be directional, it will have a higher rejection of signals coming from the sides so there will be less noise from signals I want to ignore. The directivity will give be gain on both transmit and receive, so those in the path of the direction of the antenna will hear more of my signal and I'll hear them better as well.
                        How to you rotate it?
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

How to you rotate it?
                          I am guessing that, due to the distance involved and that the Arial is directional, that it would be place at the optimum angle to where the signal it to travel(send/receive), then fixed in place.

I would second guess that any directional movement would be manual adjustments before re-securing.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

You know we have Teamspeak now.... you don't need a big antenna!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                              How to you rotate it?

A device is installed on the upper part of the tower called a rotator. It sits on a shelf inside the tower, and a mast is locked into the center of the rotator. That mast goes up through the top of the tower and the directional antenna is attached to it above the tower. A control cable is run from the rotator down the tower and into the house or wherever the radio station is, and the rotator controller (the box with the big dial) is used to control the azimuth that the antenna is pointing. Turn the dial, press a button and the rotator turns the antenna in the requested direction.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X