Major Site Upgrade Coming -- IMPORTANT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Major Site Upgrade Coming -- IMPORTANT

PLEASE READ ME THOROUGHLY - PRETTY PLEASE....

Tactical Gamer is going to be undergoing a major site upgrade in the very near future. We're moving off the old vBulletin 4 platform to vBulletin 5. This upgrade is going to involve a number of site changes and things may be unstable for a few days immediately after the upgrade. This upgrade is necessitated by some new back-end requirements from PayPal and an endless chain of dependencies that change creates. With the volume of changes required in the back end, it made sense to do the full upgrade at the same time.

When this upgrade starts the Tactical Gamer site will be DOWN FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD - BETWEEN 8-10 HOURS! I am going to attempt to keep the site up in read-only mode, but I'm not sure how practical that is going to be as I need to make some DNS changes as part of this process to point over to the new server. At the very least, once the database import process gets going I can work on a temporary landing page with progress info and pointers to Discord and TeamSpeak. This will be a great time to clear your cached files and whatnot.

This upgrade is not an in-place upgrade - broken image alerts! A big part of the prerequisite stack is an upgrade to the web server, PHP, SSL, and a ton of other supporting libraries. This is basically a new architecture, so I've built a new server to deal with it. None of the old files from the TG site get copied over, just the database, so all the links around the forums that point to places such as /userbars, /ribbons, etc., will be broken. I'm going to manually copy all those files over when the database import is complete, so don't worry if your signatures have lots of broken links at first.

When we first migrate over, we will be operating under a very default "theme" for the site. I'm not going to start working on that portion of the migration until AFTER the bug reports are resolved. So if things look different, don't be alarmed. If you REALLY hate how it looks and just absolutely have to yell at me over it, please do so via email.. I can be reached at [email protected]

There are a few things that I'm asking all members to do just "in-case".

* Save a copy of your avatar and profile picture if you want to make sure you keep it. In the first two upgrade tests the avatars and profile photos did not transfer properly. I believe I have that problem fixed and run #3 kept them in place, but better safe than sorry!

* Save a copy of any photos you have uploaded to your user galleries that you want to make absolutely sure you keep. Same as the avatars, they did not transfer properly on ANY run. I believe the fix applied for the avatars can be extended to the photos, and I should know on test run #4, but once again... better safe than sorry!

* Clean out your old PMs - If you feel so inclined, purge out any really old PMs you don't need in both the sent and received boxes.

* Be patient! As usual, when the upgrade happens I will create a new bug report thread. Consolidate any bug reports in that thread. I'll create another thread for other feedback/discussions/etc and address those AFTER the bug reports are dealt with.

Each test run that is performed takes about 10-12 hours, so this is a VERY time consuming process. Over the past several months I have done much smaller tests with stripped copies of the TG database as those are quick, but moving into the full migration I need to test with the entire database and that thing is just HUGE. I'm expecting to be able to kick this upgrade off early this week, perhaps as early as Tuesday. I'll keep everyone updated here and answer any questions for the tech-curious.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Major Site Upgrade Coming -- IMPORTANT

Great news. Thanks very much for all the heavy lifting to get this done Apo. All PMs are gone and should be good to go.

Comment

All pm's sent and received downloaded and deleted. Thanks for the hard work Apo, very much appreciated and best of luck.

Comment

TIL: at the bottom of the PM inbox is a handy link that downloads all Private Messages as XML, CSV, or text file. Made that part easy.

Comment

Since things are being re-done to some extent, would it be reasonable to request a light background / dark text theme? It doesn't have to be default, so long as I can choose it. My eyes don't like piercing bright text surrounded by dark. (the current default theme isn't actually so bad, except when composing a message)

Comment

Sounds great! PM's backed up and deleted.

Comment

Fourth import failed. I figured out the issue and was able to manually modify the database to complete import. Issues corrected on primary TG database so run #5 should go flawlessly. I have other issues resolved as well with some of the dynamic elements on the site so things are on track, although I'm not sure if this will kick off tomorrow or not. User albums appear to be importing but not displaying properly, so I'll be looking into that more this evening.

[MENTION=97241]Brian_NS2[/MENTION] - I'm on board with that. I'm going for a much lighter/brighter look that's easier on the eyes and more focused on usability of content vs. visual appeal.

Comment

Lots of changes, 5th import running strong so far! Avatars and album issues all sorted out, userbars ready to go.

I'm going to stay up tonight and see how the db import/upgrade go and if they all finish without errors I may pull the trigger on this early tomorrow morning. If tomorrow morning is a go, my goal will be to get the site back up ASAP to facilitate communication and get things rolling again, and fixes/changes will be ongoing while the site is up but no additional major downtime should be expected.

I still say this is a lot of work just to be able to say "PayPal Payment API update completed!"

Comment

PM's backed up and deleted!
                  sigpic
                  "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Man's Prayer Red Green Show
                  "Quando omni flunkus moritati" -When all else fails, play dead. -Red Green Show
                  [Link to my Youtube!]
                  [Link to my Twitch!]
                  [support]

Comment

Things should be starting to become functional!

Comment

Not sure where to post this, so forgive my ignorance. I was unable to log in from the home page but when I clicked "Log In" from the Arma threads it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
                        Not sure where to post this, so forgive my ignorance. I was unable to log in from the home page but when I clicked "Log In" from the Arma threads it worked fine.
                        This is a fine place to post that. Make sure you clear your cache and update any bookmarks you have to https:// instead of http://

I had the same issue, but it was largely due to my browser "remembering" the URLs for TG and kept reverting to http instead of https. After clearing my cache and browsing history, the problem went away.

Comment

Apophis, will you mention somewhere whenever the new search index is finished crawling? Trying to build some search-dependent things, and I need to know how/when to measure success. Thank you!
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                            Apophis, will you mention somewhere whenever the new search index is finished crawling? Trying to build some search-dependent things, and I need to know how/when to measure success. Thank you!
                            That's the next thing on my list! Just finished re-writing the rest of the reserved slot scripts, now I'm working on the SEO rewrite. I will have a definitive answer within the next 60-90 minutes regarding the need to update broken URLs.

Comment

Oh, wonderful. The broken URL concern is very relevant for me, but my focus in my question was being able to use the new URLs/software to search threads from within threads. Regardless, I'll await the news. Thank you.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X