Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gasoline that's been sitting in a car for a year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline that's been sitting in a car for a year?

Heh... I almost posted this in the Hardware/Software Forum...

OK, so I parked my good ol' '82 F150 in my garage with the intention of, I dunno, driving it every now and then? NOT with the intention of storing it long term, but days turned into weeks, weeks into months and now a year and a half later, it hasn't moved. I know that I should have added fuel stabilizer to the tanks as soon as I knew I was going to park it for a while, but I didn't.

Anyone know what I should do now, or rather, what I should do when I want to drive it? Should I go ahead and dump a bottle of that StaBil in each tank right now? Is there something else that would be more appropriate at this point?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Gasoline that's been sitting in a car for a year?

Depending on how much fuel it has left in it, I would drain the tanks, and use the fuel for lawnmowers, lawn trimmers, chainsaws, etc. A truck that old might not benifit from old fuel. You can also remove the fuel, put some stabilizer, and mix it around if you have a pump. I'll go to your house with some of my pumps and barrels, and we could fix this the right way. It is only 524 miles away, see u in 9 hours.
    Seriously, I wouldn't reccomend using it, but if you mix the stabilizer in correctly, and flush your fuel lines that enter your carb, or TB you should be fine.

Comment

I would personally feel safer draining the fuel tanks. My work computer says it has a carb, correct?

edit*posted the same time as .143 Beth©, I would follow that route if possible.

Comment

I think it would be since it is an 82, but once again try to drain them, use it for lawnmower fuel, or circulate a barrel with stabilizer and gas with a pump designed to handle flammable liquids.

Any way you do it, you should draint he tanks, and flush the fuel lines.
        Last edited by .143 Beth©; 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Just get yourself a bottle of fuel stabilizer, pour it in the tank, and then run the engine for about 10 minutes to get the stabilized fuel up through the fuel filter and into the carbs.

I used to do this all the time on my jetski and motorcycle when putting them away for the winter and I never had problems with any buildup from the old fuel in the carbs or anything. I also do this in my generator at my house since it is rarely used.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I am not saying the truck won't run if you do it any other way, I am just saying that it is not the best thing to do. After 10 years of dealing with engines (tractors, trucks, ATVs, chainsaws, generators) I have always found that If you allow any bad fuel into the engine, somewhere down the line you will encounter problems. I mainly deal with diesel, which is a different story, and is less willing to work when old. I had a brand new STIHL chainsaw, that I bought last Hurricane season, used it, and this year it didn't even start with the bad fuel in it. It might be becasue of the gunky oil in the carb, or the high oil content of the 2 stroke, but being someone who takes care of all my machines, I like to do things for the long run. Not saying that APO isnt right about just let it run, but maybe in the long run the stuff will break down more easily

Comment

Yes, it has a carb. When you guys say "Drain the tank", do you mean just siphon as much as possible out of the tank, or is there some method that I don't know of to remove every last drop?

Apo, was your suggestion meant for my truck that has already been sitting for a year and a half, or for future storage?
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

on an 82 F150 you should have a drain cap in the fuel tank you can pop out. I'm not sure if it's the proper way but that's how i always drained fuel. You could siphon it out but that would a long process and you wouldn't get it all out either.

Was this garage kept btw or was it out in the open?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  Yes, it has a carb. When you guys say "Drain the tank", do you mean just siphon as much as possible out of the tank, or is there some method that I don't know of to remove every last drop?

Apo, was your suggestion meant for my truck that has already been sitting for a year and a half, or for future storage?
                  It was more for future storage. If the gas has already separated and is leaving deposits inside your fuel lines, tank, carbs and filter, the fuel stabilizer won't help. In that case I would also advise you drain the tank and lines, change the fuel filter, and get a can of gumout handy to clean out the carbs when you get new fuel in it.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yep, if it been sitting for over a year its best you dump the tank, its too late for stablizer. And clean the carb/injectors for they might be gunked up, but a year isnt too long to cause too much gunk, so just drain the tank and add fresh gas.

Comment

I would drain the tank most of the way and then fill it with fresh fuel before running it.

I would NOT use the old fuel in a small engine.

Stabilizer will not help anything at this point, it is intended to prevent the fuel breakdown, not fix it.

The old fuel could be burned off in other vehicles, well diluted with good fuel.
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

One way to drain the fuel is to get a glock or shottie and shoot the tank. Another way to do it is to find the fuel line and disconnect it from the tank. The first way is easier , and cheaper, but in the long run, the second way would suit your needs better.

Comment

Stabilizers being basically just anti-oxidants for your gas etc. they won't help you now. The damage is done. IMO best thing to do is what others have mentioned above. Drain the tank as much as possible and use the old gas for lawnmowers and such. If it's got a carb the gas left in the float bowls might have gummed things up by now (some carbs are more sensitive to this than others) so the carb might need cleaning.

Drain, refill with fresh, maybe add some kind of fuel cleaner additive and see how she runs.
                          --
                          Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Not to be Captain of Team Buzzkill, but how much are you paying to insure that truck that you haven't moved in a year and now have to maintain?

I'd nurse that sucker to Beltline and limp through the Preston and Midway intersections and back until you get paid. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                              Not to be Captain of Team Buzzkill, but how much are you paying to insure that truck that you haven't moved in a year and now have to maintain?

I'd nurse that sucker to Beltline and limp through the Preston and Midway intersections and back until you get paid. ;)
                              That was the most uncomprehensible thing, at least for me, i have heard in a long time. Is that entire post a metaphor?
                              no offense,but i have no clue what you are trying to say

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X