Why play tactically?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why play tactically?

So, I'm doing a paper for my english 1 class, and I want some opinions.

What makes playing a game tactically and/or realistically more enjoyable? Does it/How does it help develop teamwork skills that are useful in real life? Does playing tactically in game help you asses problems better iin real life?

I know how you guys feel, since you play here. Now let me know why, please.

Re: Why play tactically?

I play tactically because it adds a new aspect to gaming that cannot be attained in any other community besides this one. Maybe not so much this helping in real life, but logic skills really help in these games. Well, when i play css 1v1 I learn alot about what other people are thinking. so, i guess it helps in sociology, or psychology. It makes it more enjoyable to me, because you don't have to have the fastest fingers to be good in this community. Physical skills are not as important as logical skills in this community. I'm not the best athlete, or cyber athlete, but i can figure out some plans that can both be efficient, and effective.

Comment

Logical reasoning, deduction and mathematics are really the key things imo. How well i'll leave some of it open but things like, Deciding whether to sneak around a certain objective versus running straight to it.

These really do come in to play in real life in certain situations. I wouldn't say it's very common though.

- -

Comment

The above reasons are part of why I play tactically. However, I think the real reason I found a place like TG is the friendships that are made. I've met most of Team Element's members plus others and it's been amazing. I can go to them for advice or help and I'm not talking about backup during a game of BF2. It's been enriching to know other people from other parts of the world. While I wanted to play tactically because of the rush, I didn't expect the comraderie to be so rewarding.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I answer that here:
          http://www.simhq.com/_land/fps_021a.html

feel free to copy/paste anything you need out of it... make your work, A little easier. ;)
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
            Logical reasoning, deduction and mathematics are really the key things imo. How well i'll leave some of it open but things like, Deciding whether to sneak around a certain objective versus running straight to it.
            Mathematics? Could you elaborate a bit more please?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

It creates problem solving skills and fulfills fantasies that would otherwise be dangerous. You can alliterate on that.

Comment

I like the intenseness of having no idea of what is going or what the opposing team is going to do.
                |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

In a military game, there is an element of immersion. You are not merely fulfilling the objectives of the game, but issuing and receiving orders, using pre-planned manuevers, and working as a unit - activities that have a real-world component to them.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

The first issue is to define what "tactical" means. Is it really a textbook phrase? Who defines it? I mean, they do sell "Tactical Flashlights." How can a flashlight be tactical? I think the best answer I've heard was "When it jumps out of your hand and clears the room for you."

I define tactics in a broad-sense as "Placing myself into situations that are high gain and low risk." It's the element of putting as little to chance as possible. It's not a static definition to me. It could involved precision shooting to take someone out or spraying randomly to provide cover for teammates.

It's a mind-set I use to acheive my goal. If brute force "spray and pray" won't cut it, then I rely on stealth and surprise. If brute force is getting the job done at minimal risk to yourself, then why couldn't it be "tactical?"

Your best bet is to always define what "tactical" means to you. Leave the text-book definition to the marketing department for their next "tactical chewing gum."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X