TacticalGamer LAN Party in Texas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacticalGamer LAN Party in Texas!

I know I'm a little new here....... but being as I'm just too darn sweet to get any crap about it... then here goes. :p

One night not so long ago a few of us started to throw around the idea of hosting a BF2 lan party either here in Houston, or the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Then it was brought up at another time by some other people, and I became curious: What is the general consensus about attending a lan party? Would anyone be interested if, say, Sassy and I organized/hosted one? Is that something I'd do on my own, or would I need the "permission" of the admins to use the [TG] affiliation? It would cost about $15 and there are several nicely equipped places if that's something we decided to do -- but mainly I wanted to post and see what kind of interest it would generate first.

If this topic has already been discussed, or is not appropriate for this forum, some merciful admin please remove this post before it's seen by too many... *giggle*

Oh, and p.s. have fun at the scrim, I've got the j-o-b . But I'm secretly rooting for my favorites :x
    I heart TG.
    xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Re: Did you say Lan Party?

We've got a sizable Dallas/FW/Austin contingent-you can probably pull together a good crowd.

Ask Apophis if you can run with it, but I don't think it would be a major issue.

Comment

Sounds good if you:
      a) connect all of those people to a TG server and let me play
      - OR -
      b) give me a connection into the server at the location

:D
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I'd be down, def would have to be on the weekend of course.
        [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
        TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by AntiVisual
          I'd be down, def would have to be on the weekend of course.

Naturally! I'm thinking about possibly a weekend in December.. maybe the 3rd or 10th. Depends, again, on who all wants to come and when they're free.
          I heart TG.
          xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

I'm in Austin. I'd consider it.
            Also, Austin would be central .... :)
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

Having participated in organizing a fair numbe rof medium sized events in the past, let me pass on a couple things.

-Find out when the 'big' events in your area are in the time period you are thinking then eliminate any dates that might conflict with those events. You might think that your 'target group' doesn't care about football games, parades or some random celebrities concert but the more you can avoid competing with 'big' events the better your attendance will be.

-Once you've narrowed your dates that way, get preferences of the people who will be helping you with your event and use those dates to find a venue. The people who help you pull off an event are at LEAST as important as the attendees.

-6 months out 75% of the random strangers who say they will come will back out. Be careful when selecting the size of the venue based on 'early interest levels'. You are better off selling tickets early and limiting attendance than having a cavernous event space you can't pay for.

-Who ever is organizing the event (call him the chairperson, the leader, the grand poobah or whatever) needs to realize that once there are more than ~50 people involved that organizer will spend a vast amount of his time working during the event and not playing. Dealing with problems, coping with shortfalls, figuring out how to delegate without pissing anyone off and covering holes is what an event chair spends time doing.

-Insurance is a good idea-- if the chair has a homeowner's umbrella policy that will at least protect him from targeted lawsuits.

-Be carfeful about taking in more money than it costs to operate the event. You can get into sticky tax issues, not to mention the potential backlash from participants who suddenly see you as 'making money' off their hobby. That backlash usually takes the form of massively hightened expectations and a dropoff of volunteerism.

These are very genrealized tips (and a SHORT list at that) from years of being a part of organizing a variety of public events.
              Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

wonderfull! I would add a great "young-person" addition to the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
                  I'm in Austin. I'd consider it.
                  Also, Austin would be central .... :)

Thought about Austin -- but seems there are more gaming centers in the DFW area.. Just doing some searching, of course, but if you know of any in Austin, I'm down with it.
                  Last edited by |TG|SugarNCamo; 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM. Reason: Googling the options
                  I heart TG.
                  xoxo

~Sugar~

Comment

i'd be willing to participate in a LAN party closer to the eastern seaboard- anywhere in texas is a no, though.

how about we start a frapper page so see where everyone is?
                    [TG]epheneh

Comment

I'm down... Just moved to Austin so of course I'd prefer here, but I'm down with Houston or Dallas too. I know Tau Neutrino and B and Birdie live in TX too, along with quite a few other people that I can't remember right now... :)

Maybe we can have a moderator change the title of this thread to 'TX Lan Party' to get more Texan response?
                      Last edited by Beatnik; 10-20-2005, 05:14 PM.
                      Beatnik

Comment

Yeah, my grandparents live in Austin, so I could drive down there.
                        [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
                        TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

Yah, Austin would be your best choice... *cough* That way I don't have to drive anywhere.
                          [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                          [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

I'd definitely be up for a LAN party in DFW. I'd probably be up for one in Austin or Houston.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to help much in the organization of such an event...

The last time I went to a TG event, it turned out to be more of a BBQ/party than a LAN party. Over the course of three days, I only gamed for maybe 3 hours. It was just too cool to just drink, BBQ and BS with all the people that I previously only knew from online. There's video of the TG Bash floating around here somewhere...

Oh, and why limit this to BF2? TG is much bigger than just BF2!
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

A Padres fan from Dallas? Cingular?
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X