for....Cobra Helicopter Fans [video]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for....Cobra Helicopter Fans [video]

Really interesing video exclusivly of the cobra in Iraq. Mosly from the "TV". Battlefield 2 fans i'm posting this for you!

http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/co...aq.avi.torrent

its a torrent, so download using save as and make sure the name of the extension is torrent. and download using your favorit bittorrent client.
    Last edited by Vegas; 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM.

Re: for....Cobra Helicopter Fans [video]

Great video!

Moved from Sandbox to General so everyone can enjoy it!

I'm going to continue to seed this overnight, since this seems to be such a slow torrent...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Awesome. New inspiration to become an army pilot.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
        Awesome. New inspiration to become an army pilot.
        Except the US Army doesn't have cobras. The Cobra and Huey are used by the US Marine Corps. They're the same basic chopper, too, btw. They share something like 65% of their parts, so maintenance is easier/cheaper.
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Except the US Army doesn't have cobras. The Cobra and Huey are used by the US Marine Corps. They're the same basic chopper, too, btw. They share something like 65% of their parts, so maintenance is easier/cheaper.
          Yup. 'Cept I'm Australian. At the moment, the Aussie army doesn't have any dedicated attack choppers (they only have lightly armed recon helos), but in the next year or two they're taking delivery of the Tiger ARH.

Interestingly enough, I found this through a quick google:
          Capt Archibald, who accompanied USMC Cobra Pilot Marine Captain Jon Livingston during a live-fire helicopter attack in the later phases of the exercise, said the weapons systems available to the marine attack helicopter were almost identical to those employed by the Tiger.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/tiger/

Hmmm, it does look a LOT like the Cobra!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I thought I'd seen that copter before, and wikipedia confirmed it:
              The helicopter's first major public appearance was in the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye, where the theft of a prototype was a major plot point.
              Maybe I should reconsider my career options - the 22 Tigers ordered by the Australian Defence Force are being split between the Army and the Airforce, so the chance of me being able to fly one is quite slim. Oh well, I've always liked the look of those F/A-18s..

|TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Maybe I should reconsider my career options - the 22 Tigers ordered by the Australian Defence Force are being split between the Army and the Airforce, so the chance of me being able to fly one is quite slim. Oh well, I've always liked the look of those F/A-18s..
                Only 5% of the British RAF troops are pilots... so the chances of being a pilot are slim to start with, so you can imagine what chances of being a pilot for a specific craft are.

Comment

I guess it depends what job you sign up for - Avionics technician, ground staff, airfield defence or pilot (not to mention all the others available). But the Royal Australian Air Force seems to have about 3/7 of its craft as fighters, either the F-111 or the F/A-18, with most of the military cargo transports and the like handled by the Army.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Yeah I understand that, just most people who want to join RAF and the other nations air forces want to be pilots but they don't understand the amount of ground troops needed to put them in the air.

So with such limited numbers and the amount of money it takes to train a pilot its hard to get accepted.

Plus you have to be a short arse with great coordination, perfect eyesight and a good stomach. lol

Comment

Exelent video!!

Ive got one question... at about 4 minutes into the video theres a armored car under a bridge. The fire a missle (i think) and a tank truck and a car pass over the bridge. I saw it and thought... oh man, that truck is going to go. But it seemed as if the exspolsion was delaid untill the car had passed. What happend there??

Comment

Originally posted by SinisteR_NL
                        Exelent video!!

Ive got one question... at about 4 minutes into the video theres a armored car under a bridge. The fire a missle (i think) and a tank truck and a car pass over the bridge. I saw it and thought... oh man, that truck is going to go. But it seemed as if the exspolsion was delaid untill the car had passed. What happend there??
                        IMO, the missile was still travelling. Took ages, eh.

So with such limited numbers and the amount of money it takes to train a pilot its hard to get accepted.

Plus you have to be a short arse with great coordination, perfect eyesight and a good stomach. lol
                        Coordination...check.
                        Eyesight...check.
                        Non-lankyness...check (sorta).
                        Good stomach...check.

Booyeah - I'm off to join the airforce!

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

IMO, the missile was still travelling. Took ages, eh.
                          The it was perfectly timed, it went off just after that car passed...

Comment

From rewatching that I think that the helo crew were pretty confident that it wouldn't destroy the bridge. About 20 seconds before it hit, a tanker and a motorbike went past, not the mention that car.

In the TV view you can see "TOW" on the right hand side of the screen, so we can safely assume that it is the M-220 Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided missile. Judging from some net trawling, it was most probably the BGM-71F TOW 2B, a weapon designed to attack targets from the top. The missile's trajectory places the missile slightly above the target when its two warheads explode downward. As a result, the explosive force would have been downwards, preventing too much damage to the cars on the road above. Interestingly, the time of flight to maximum effective range of the TOW is 20 seconds, which is possibly how the gunner could have timed it so well.

So we've got the TOW marking on the screen cleared up and the "GUN" marking is obvious in its meaning. But does anyone know what "HF DES" means? Guessing from the lock which the Cobra obtains in the video, it's a laser designated target.
                            Last edited by munchkin; 10-30-2005, 05:39 AM.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Great research, i had a google for the missle and your very right. The missle flys over the tank and detonates downward, so the tank is busted but the bridge should be quite alright.

Cool toys...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X