Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper slips vs. double-wide DVD Cases

Ok Everyone:

What the hell is going on with software packaging? Why don't they ship games (CD or DVD) in jewel cases anymore? For the longest time, software came in easy to categorize jewel cases with readable spines and pretty pictures on them. Then, mainly once games started being sold in the new smaller, dvd-sized boxes (as opposed to the old gi-normous boxes), they stop putting the discs in jewel cases.

Now, they come in either the double-wide DVD cases, which take up a lot of room, but otherwise aren't bad (because you can fit lots in there: 5-6 game CDs, big thick manuals, etc) or they ship the game in paper slips which are hard to categorize and you have to elastic them all together and they just don't look nearly as good as either of the other two options (DVD or jewel cases). On top of that, I'm always paranoid of someone burning a music CD and tossing it into a paper slip for transport which just happens to have my HL2 key on it...

Personally, I am voting for the double-wide DVDs. While I would prefer the old jewel cases, for acheiving a good balance between ease of categorization and compactness of form, the DVD cases will do in a pinch. Those paper slips are just awful.

Boo! No Paper Slips! No Paper Slips!

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Paper slips vs. double-wide DVD Cases

Well, I don't know if anyone here can start a boycott, but I like the DVD cases myself. All the CDs I get in paper sleeves are scratched now. I like to put them in an empty CD tower. It works for me, but whatever, all the new games play without the CD in the comp anyway.

Comment

I got a Sam's Club out here and they have the thin DVD size cases but they are thin. Works great for the loose cd's.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Caselogic ftw!

BTW, you can NOT fit a "big thick manual" in a jewel case or DVD case... I'm so glad to see that Sid Meier still believes in a real game manual. I'd rather have that then some CD case any day!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Screw second-hand cases, it's all about DVD cases.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            BTW, you can NOT fit a "big thick manual" in a jewel case or DVD case... I'm so glad to see that Sid Meier still believes in a real game manual. I'd rather have that then some CD case any day!
            Well, when I say "big, thick manual", I'm thinking about an Age of Empires III size manual.

The Civ IV manual? Which volume? Sid Meier games (at least the ones I have) tend to have huge volumes of information...far more than your average game.

I use caselogic to organize a lot of my CDs...but it doesn't neatly handle the CD Key being stuck to a paper slip.

Yeah, I understand I can always just chop up the paperslip and stick the CD key somewhere secure, but this was never intended to be a super serious thread to begin with.

No Paper Slips! No Paper Slips! No Paper Slips! Everybody now!

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I hate paper slips!!! I think all games should come in double-wide DVD cases and that's final.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                but it doesn't neatly handle the CD Key being stuck to a paper slip.
                I have a text file with all my CD keys in it. I also have a secure backup, because I tend to get regularly screwed by windows to the point of having to reinstall. It's pretty easy to alt+tab between the cd key screen and the text file. Some games / apps even let you copy & paste.

Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...