Google Mail! (Gmail)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Mail! (Gmail)

Most of you have probably heard of this, but I thought it would be of general interest to anyone that hadn't heard about this:

is here! Almost.

Never delete email again! Well, for quite a while, anyway.... Google is going to be giving out accounts with a Gig of space for all your webmail. Instead of arranging your messages in folders or by date, you'll simply use the GMail search tool to instantly find the email that you need, along with any related emails (forwards, replies, CCs, etc...).

If this works like Google is hoping it will, then I'm finally getting rid of my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts... I'm tired of watching my storage level and losing emails... I'm ready for GMail.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Google Mail!

I have no need for this and have no interest in using it, but I do recall reading some concerns others had about privacy when using this service. Just food for thought.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
      I have no need for this and have no interest in using it, but I do recall reading some concerns others had about privacy when using this service. Just food for thought.
      Yeah, the privacy concerns were over the fact that your email would get targeted advertising just like your searches do on Google. No person will ever be able to read your email and none of your personal information will be released, they just send you advertising (and related links) that their software thinks you might be interested in, based on the content of your email (key words, I presume.). More about this here.

I've had three email accounts for over ten years now, and I find them invaluable. One is for signing up for things that might get me spam. One is for me to use publicly and one is for good friends only. These are email accounts that I know will always be available to me if I have web access. New ISP? No problem... Apophis gets mad at me and takes away my email account? No problem... Well, no email problem, anyway... Forget my POP account password? No problem...

After re-reading my original post, it may seem like I'm selling this product (maybe I should get into sales and marketing?), but I'm just very interested in it...
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Ah yes, I remember now. Frankly, given the non-obtrusive manner of Google's ads in the past, I was almost curious to see how non-obtrusive the email ads would be.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The privacy thing is a bit odd.. (nothing of yours gets deleted) but the thought of distributed mailboxes sound cool.... I"ve always been a google fan. :)

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            Yeah, the privacy concerns were over the fact that your email would get targeted advertising just like your searches do on Google. No person will ever be able to read your email and none of your personal information will be released, they just send you advertising (and related links) that their software thinks you might be interested in, based on the content of your email (key words, I presume.). More about this here.
            Did you just prove yourself wrong in this paragraph, no personal info released but they send you advertising that their software "thinks" you would be interested in.

So let me get this right, they scan your email aka read it and then send your email address to advertising companies that it "thinks" you would be interested in. That could be anything.

Comment

Interesting sidenote: Google has announced it is going public.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
                So let me get this right, they scan your email aka read it and then send your email address to advertising companies that it "thinks" you would be interested in. That could be anything.
                That's not completely correct. Google will have a system that scans for key words in your email as it is outgoing / incoming and then place a text advertisement (I believe at the bottom) that relates to some of those key words... similar to it's adsense system.

There is no human reading the email.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

I don't know if I'd consider GMail as an invasion of privacy. You are told up front what will happen. If I go to the doctor and let him perform some blood tests and keep a record of it (that is available to health insurance companies), is that an invasion of privacy?
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Did you just prove yourself wrong in this paragraph, no personal info released but they send you advertising that their software "thinks" you would be interested in.

Not at all. Just like Yahoo does with banner ads, Gmail is going to do with their little text ads. But Google's adsense is much smarter. It's not going to sign you up for spam or anything like that. It sends no information to anybody, in fact... It'll look something like this:
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

there is a room at google that can read ANY search ever done....... and sometimes there are people in that room watching..... there was an artical about the most common word searched for on google is "cat" and then there were some of the really odd examples. I would assume that the same room would have access to the email as well....... BUT there is privacy in anonymity. google completes something like 30,000,000 searches every day, so the chance that they will see your search for lesbian transvestite psedo-mastichist vampire midget clowns is slim to infintesimal. the same would apply to email. while there might be someone who sees your mail, the fact that that anonymous person cares about how your nieghbor like to eat dog poo while getting sodomized by a 12 gauge double-barrel shotgun....(and how you know that is no ones business but the postmans..... but only cause he was the one in the full body leather suit holding the camera) is trivial at best..... It is like talking on a cell phone in walmart.... sure its private, but anyone around can hear he conversation.... if you dont want them to understand... encrypt the email/ conversation.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Asch is right... it's going to be one of the trade-offs for having massive email storage available for free. You mails are going to be targeted by adverts, but since you have to agree to those terms to get the service....

I'm looking forward to seeing how the serach feature will work for a mailbox. Being able to look up old mails within google's search engine sems pretty cool. The big hurdle (I think) will be keeping out malicious hackers, and the govt. They need to protect against not only privacy from unlawful intruders, but also illegal search and siezure. (future patriot act implications in their architecture)

Comment

I think it sounds cool

Also, google has people sign up to advertise and they choose what words they want their advertisements to show up on (I have about 6 google adwords campaigns going) then it displays ads that match the keywords you picked. They dont send off your info to other companies its all done automatically by Googles systems and the info would only be in their systems not sent to anyone else (I am assuming but I think it is a safe assumption)

Everyday I have to go in an delete the garbage in my hotmail account so it doesnt fill up and get closed. A GB sure would be nice.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

Actually, there is no contradiction. No person will read his email, and none of his personal information will be released. That's all Google has promised (based on what I've read in this thread).

If this is similar to other targeted-ad operations run by other large, public companies who swear to protect your personal information, they (Google) will simply have bots scan your email for the information they need to associate you with very high-level interest groups. Then, they can advertise this collection of interest groups (NOT you, or your personal information) to OTHER companies wishing to target audiences with these interests (golf, finances, lawn care, snakes, etc). They can go to Honda and say "We have 148,700 users in the southeastern United States with an interest in casual motorcycle riding. For X number of dollars, we'll allow you to provide to us (Google) an ad to run in front of these users. We're not going to reveal their identities to you, and we're not going to give you any more information about them than the fact that they share this one interest." Honda pays Google, and Google runs Honda's ad atop your email screen. I'd bet money that Google in no way retains the information from your emails that allowed them to determine which interest groups to associate you with. They simply retain the association, probably placing some sort of expiration on that association, regularly having their bots scan your emails to maintain interest associations for you that are current.

No person has read your email, and none of your personal information has been released. You get a value-added service for free, and the ads you put up with are non-obtrusive (asthetically) and target your daily interests.

Google isn't stupid. To release personal information, per their policy (as opposed to being hacked, which is harmful in a different, though also damaging light) would be corporate suicide, especially as they're going public. I respect companies who tell me what they're going to do with my information and then do that. If I assume something different than what they promised, that can be as much my fault as theirs. Google hasn't committed that your emails won't be harvested for information. They haven't said this information won't be advertised to other companies (ala Honda) in an anonymous manner.

All they've said is that no person will read your email and that your personal information won't be released to anyone. Personalized ads can appear in your email quite easily without Google breaking that promise.

no personal info released but they send you advertising that their software "thinks" you would be interested in.
                            In fact, this has happened, just as Google described it, and no human has ever seen, nor will ever see, your personal information.

Comment

Who says someone isnt watching the words that were scaned, There is a person behind the scaning and the logs. I tell you its a government comspiracy looking for words like terrorist and bombs! Beware of the Government, they are out to get you!

Gmail does not impress, Who wants a gig of email when half of it is taken up by advertisements.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X