Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like our site Admin has it out for us.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like our site Admin has it out for us.

In 30 years, there is a 1-in-5,500 chance that a smallish asteroid will land a bull's eye on our planet. At 360 yards wide, it could take out New York City and much of the surrounding area.

Fortunately, experts believe further observations of the asteroid, 99942 Apophis, will almost certainly rule out an impact in 2036. Nevertheless, it's precisely that kind of predictable and preventable threat -- and the thought of being ill-prepared for it -- that alarms the world's normally intrepid spacefarers who are calling for action.

See, he could take out New York or any other major city. We're on to you now.
    sigpic

Re: Looks like our site Admin has it out for us.

Nasa JPL Impact Risk
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I try my best! :-)
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Ahhh, now i have to look out for him as an asteriod too!!! :D.

Comment

A quality cream will take care of those asteroids...

Comment

Radio voice/On "This Near Earth Object is brought to you buy Tactical Gamer." Radio Voice/Off
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

12932 Zephyr...
              Ahahaha! So me and Apophis aren't so different in our plans after all!
              -Zephyr
              You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
              We are not a single game.
              We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
              We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                A quality cream will take care of those asteroids...
                Or at least shrink them down to a manageable size.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Another story on this subject. 1 in 5,500 is a really big risk considering what's at stake. they will get another chance to make observations in the spring which hopefully will rule it out.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...660738,00.html

I have always thought it would be kinda cool to live in a post apocalypse world. As long as you were one of the lucky ones who survived of course. When you were old you would tell stories of long ago jet planes and i-pods to your grand children and they would ask what use they were in fending off brain eating mutants.
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

any one have any ideas what to do if like (acording to GhostintheShell's link) a 8,9,or 10 hit us?
                    Should we hide under our desks with freze dried strawberries? or batten down the hatches, try to play css as long as possible and then take it in to the real world with our ak47s?

Comment

I saw an article not long ago about someone setting up a mission to test asteroid diversion with gravity. The idea is to use a super-massive spacecraft to gravitically "tow"the asteroid enough to one side to ensure a miss. Using gravity keeps the asteroid from breaking up into lots of uncontrollable and unpredictable fragments.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X