My "GUN" Review/opinion...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "GUN" Review/opinion...

Sure I know it's not really a tactical game, and may not be considered as something we would play here (no multiplayer BTW)... but... it is a Western FPS... and rare... so I thought I'd give it a try and report my findings/opinion... just in case one of you out there was wondering too...

First off, GUN is a Western First Person Shooter, as I said, it is made by Neversoft, the makers of the Tony Hawk games, and published by Activision...

It comes in PC CD-ROM format, on three disk. It installed easy, and comes with a small pamphlet manual which is par for todays games.

It carries an M rating and from what I've seen with about 2 hours of play, it may deserve it... blood, gore, intense violence, Sexual themes, Strong language and use of Alcohol. SWEET...

First off the good points...

It has a pretty cool story line, and starts out with you and your dad, who looks and sounds like the rough guy bouncer that played with Patrick Swaysy (I don't know his name or how to spell Patrick's last name... but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.) on that bouncer movie....

It's a typical FPS with a bunch of guns, a knife for close quarters battles, bow and arrows, and explosives....

you drink out of your flask for health, you move around, follow the icon on your mini radar and do what it pretty much guides you too do.

You later get to ride horses, trampling over bad guys with him, or shooting while on.

The story leads you through, you just do what the mission goal is.

Now the negative...

When will I learn, never to buy or play a PC game that was simply converted from the Xbox version.

When you start the game, the console look is there with the menus, use the arrows, hit enter, or escape to select everything... then when in game the console feel is still there... I felt it would of been better to play this game with my game controller then the mouse and keyboard... the speed was too fast and hard to control... the sight had a nice target box that snaps to the target when your near it, and turns red when you can fire... no matter if you aim near the bad guy, it will snap and shoot him....so little shooting skills needed.

The story is nice, but I was getting bored of following the on screen directions to each and every goal... I would of preferred a more open ended game... you do have side quest, but it leads you by the hand way to much.

Conclusion of my OPINION:

It's a good Western game if you like playing on a console, well then buy the console version, but if your a computer gamer, this title don't take advantage of the PC's superior controls and function... if your tight on money, skip it, the full game is said to be only 8 to 10 hours... if you love Westerns or want a fun, but quick and easy game, then pick it up.

I got bored with it after just 2 hours of play, and have moved on already... to many other games I'm still trying to finish that are better, like CoD2.

this is just my opinion on 2 plus hours of game play, I wouldn't consider this a full review or don't recommend you take my sole word on this game, read other reviews, watch some video clips and see if it's your cup of tea.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: My "GUN" Review/opinion...

Originally posted by Magnum50
    blood, gore, intense violence, Sexual themes, Strong language and use of Alcohol. SWEET...
    Ha. Too funny.

this is just my opinion on 2 plus hours of game play, I wouldn't consider this a full review or don't recommend you take my sole word on this game, read other reviews, watch some video clips and see if it's your cup of tea.
    Not a long enough disclaimer.

Here's my disclaimer

Based on subjective opinion after a brief period of gameplay,web-surfing, or rumormongering, during part of which I may have been dead, drunk, or dead drunk at the time.

You shouldn't take my, or anyone's word for it, unless the game you are playing is a sponsor of Tactical Gamer, in which case the game is fabu and will merit you 67 virgins in the afterlife. No seriously, 6-7.

I recommend you inhale deeply from the troth of hype that the developers and publishers put forth, and read as many other subjective reviews as possible as justification for the inevitable purchase.

By then you should have sufficient blame to pass around for the subsequent letdown when you realize the game actually sucks.

Comment

I was going to write a long review but decided not to. Let me just say that I like the game and am glad I bought it. It definitly has a console feel to it, the graphics arent even close to halflife2 or doom, but I think it is a lot of fun.
      Who can resist a good western? I havent played a good one since Outlaws what 7 or 8 years ago so I had to try this one. In this game I almost feel like I could be Roland of Gilead.

So far I give it 4 out of 5 stars, but I must be honest with you, that last star is simply for the theme and atmosphere. If this were another sci-fi game I would probably give it 3 stars so I guess I am a sucker. It must be all those great games of Boot Hill I played as a teen.

The horses and riding gets a notable mention because it is done very very well. The first time I jumped onto a horse in game I couldnt believe how believable the movement was, one of the highlights of the game certainly.

Comment

I heard it referred to as "GTA with horses" a couple days back. Is that kind of accurate?

Comment

Accordig to the review, no, since it doesn't sound open ended.

Comment

Wrong section
            [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
            [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse