Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

    What do you think will be the next biggest sort of game idea. Is it special features? Puzzles in FPS? What do you think?

    I think its possible that AI in games like Rainbow 6 and other games of the sort where you control your squad. But this on a much larger Battlefield 2 scale, so you have your own squad (of 5 + you) and then your squads are part of a larger group and so on. So potentially there could 64 players on a server and 320 AI squads with you. AI would follow patterns and would also follow your kit layouts. When you get in a tank it will take up 3 of your squad members and you could grab two tanks at once to use up all your squad members. Same with other vehicles and creation of a ground and air defense crew for jets.

    Imagine the crazy realism and battles with a game like that with 384 bodies on a map. :row__638: . *drool*
    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
    [tg-c1]<victory

  • #2
    Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

    I still want to see a modular massively multiplayer realm which will let people play the type of game that they like. Imagine purchasing a flight sim that is top notch and when you log on to the server, you're playing normal flight sim missions, but your targets are:
    Imagine purchasing a military armor simulation. The tank controls are highly realistic and when you log on to the server, you become a target for the A-10s that the flight sim guys are flying, and you are supporting:
    Imagine purchasing the latest FPS shooter. The tactical possibilities put BF2 to shame. You can call in fire missions to both your air support and your mobile artillery. You may not be able to drive anything other than a jeep, but you can sure hitch a ride in an APC driven by someone playing the armor simulation. Unfortunately, your APC gets blown up by naval gunfire from:
    Imagine playing a naval warfare simulation. The destroyers, cruisers, carriers and submarines are all intricately accurate. It takes more than one person to effectively make use of them, but when they're fully manned, they're deadly even to ground units miles inland from the sea. On some maps, the carriers are vital to the flight sim guys that want to have enough fuel to do more than just simple bombing runs.

    Each simulation could be a separate game that costs $30. They should all be top notch within their separate genres. And they all interact on the same server. Would that be cool, or what?

    I'd probably buy the infantry game, the armor game and the navy game, but would skip the flight sim game (there will be PLENTY of pilots...). Two of the games together cost about the same as a premium game right now. All four would be $120. The games would have to really be integrated right to begin with. Release it with bugs and the negative publicity could kill such an ambitious project.

    Devs, if you use this idea, I just want a free copy of all modules in the series and my name in the credits!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

      Originally posted by Mishkan
      I think its possible that AI in games like Rainbow 6 and other games of the sort where you control your squad. But this on a much larger Battlefield 2 scale, so you have your own squad (of 5 + you) and then your squads are part of a larger group and so on. So potentially there could 64 players on a server and 320 AI squads with you. AI would follow patterns and would also follow your kit layouts. When you get in a tank it will take up 3 of your squad members and you could grab two tanks at once to use up all your squad members. Same with other vehicles and creation of a ground and air defense crew for jets.

      Imagine the crazy realism and battles with a game like that with 384 bodies on a map. :row__638: . *drool*
      OFP is like that. I've played everything which you've suggested, and it kicks ass.
      Malhereusement, I don't think it's possible to have 64 players on a server. A quick google didn't turn much up, but I'm fairly sure that a CTI ("capture the island") game can have a max of 24. Each of the 24 players can control around 12 or so AI, and battles get quite hectic with a hefty dose of tactics.

      [conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

        Originally posted by CingularDuality
        I still want to see a modular massively multiplayer realm which will let people play the type of game that they like. Imagine purchasing a flight sim that is top notch and when you log on to the server, you're playing normal flight sim missions, but your targets are:
        Imagine purchasing a military armor simulation. The tank controls are highly realistic and when you log on to the server, you become a target for the A-10s that the flight sim guys are flying, and you are supporting:
        Imagine purchasing the latest FPS shooter. The tactical possibilities put BF2 to shame. You can call in fire missions to both your air support and your mobile artillery. You may not be able to drive anything other than a jeep, but you can sure hitch a ride in an APC driven by someone playing the armor simulation. Unfortunately, your APC gets blown up by naval gunfire from:
        Imagine playing a naval warfare simulation. The destroyers, cruisers, carriers and submarines are all intricately accurate. It takes more than one person to effectively make use of them, but when they're fully manned, they're deadly even to ground units miles inland from the sea. On some maps, the carriers are vital to the flight sim guys that want to have enough fuel to do more than just simple bombing runs.

        Each simulation could be a separate game that costs $30. They should all be top notch within their separate genres. And they all interact on the same server. Would that be cool, or what?

        I'd probably buy the infantry game, the armor game and the navy game, but would skip the flight sim game (there will be PLENTY of pilots...). Two of the games together cost about the same as a premium game right now. All four would be $120. The games would have to really be integrated right to begin with. Release it with bugs and the negative publicity could kill such an ambitious project.

        Devs, if you use this idea, I just want a free copy of all modules in the series and my name in the credits!
        Oh yeah! That would absolutely kick ass, and I'd actually be prepared to pay per month for something like that. A strategic 'command' game might be a nice part of this, and could help coordinate all the elements.

        Personally, I'd get the infantry game, the command game and the flight sim game. Mmmm...vicious dogfights over huge-scale battles..

        [conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
        |TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

          Originally posted by munchkin
          A strategic 'command' game might be a nice part of this, and could help coordinate all the elements.
          Indeed. That was part of my plan, I just forgot to include it this time...

          I've been writing about this "game system" since before, or maybe just after, BF:1942 was released. The BF series kinda fills this role, but it's way oversimplified compared to what I have in mind!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

            I think that it'd be awesome if you did a large writeup on how such a game would work, going into intricate detail of game mechanics, etc, and then seeing if you could get it posted on sites like SimHQ or others. It might pique the curiosity of a couple of game devs.

            [conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

              OFP as it currently stands could probably be modded to provide much of this. OFP has 100sq km islands, it includes any vehicle or weapon you want to use, you can make any type of mission with it.

              We're waiting for Armed Assault to come out. It's OFP but updated. This IS going to be the next big game, as long as it hits shelves that is...
              Jex.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                The new addons have made OFP absolutely incredible. Nothing like the stock versions. Last time I played I was para-jumping over the desert floor as a Green Beret with a modded M4 complete with ACOG scope.

                There is nothing better than having miles and miles to plan your tactical approaches. It is the most realistic mission experience I have had to date since the GR days.

                I know how to mod a bit for OFP, you just need to get a group of people to agree on addons and such and a dedicated server to play the missions...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                  Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  I still want to see a modular massively multiplayer realm which will let people play the type of game that they like. Imagine purchasing a flight sim that is top notch and when you log on to the server, you're playing normal flight sim missions, but your targets are:
                  Imagine purchasing a military armor simulation. The tank controls are highly realistic and when you log on to the server, you become a target for the A-10s that the flight sim guys are flying, and you are supporting:
                  Imagine purchasing the latest FPS shooter. The tactical possibilities put BF2 to shame. You can call in fire missions to both your air support and your mobile artillery. You may not be able to drive anything other than a jeep, but you can sure hitch a ride in an APC driven by someone playing the armor simulation. Unfortunately, your APC gets blown up by naval gunfire from:
                  Imagine playing a naval warfare simulation. The destroyers, cruisers, carriers and submarines are all intricately accurate. It takes more than one person to effectively make use of them, but when they're fully manned, they're deadly even to ground units miles inland from the sea. On some maps, the carriers are vital to the flight sim guys that want to have enough fuel to do more than just simple bombing runs.

                  Each simulation could be a separate game that costs $30. They should all be top notch within their separate genres. And they all interact on the same server. Would that be cool, or what?

                  I'd probably buy the infantry game, the armor game and the navy game, but would skip the flight sim game (there will be PLENTY of pilots...). Two of the games together cost about the same as a premium game right now. All four would be $120. The games would have to really be integrated right to begin with. Release it with bugs and the negative publicity could kill such an ambitious project.

                  Devs, if you use this idea, I just want a free copy of all modules in the series and my name in the credits!
                  *Drools, foams at mouth, cries.* Waits patiently for Armed Assault and OFP2.
                  _____________________



                  ---

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                    Originally posted by jex
                    OFP as it currently stands could probably be modded to provide much of this. OFP has 100sq km islands, it includes any vehicle or weapon you want to use, you can make any type of mission with it.

                    We're waiting for Armed Assault to come out. It's OFP but updated. This IS going to be the next big game, as long as it hits shelves that is...
                    No, no current game could be modded to do what I want. OFP does NOT have a flight sim that is equal to Falcon 4, does it? And it's not possible to mod that into the game, is it? And 100 sq km seems pretty small for a flight sim environment...

                    My game is going to have to be designed from the ground up. The server environment is going to have to be displayed differently depending on what role you're playing. The pilots aren't going to see individual blades of grass like the infantry do... Likewise, the infantry aren't going to ever see for miles and miles and miles. Graphics rendering is going to have to be different for each module in my proposed game...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                      A multiplayer sports sim, where you controlled just the one guy. Could easily be put as part of a league (and guys who like sports management sims could handle that aspect).

                      Your ability to show up at an allotted time would be reflective of your injury status. The server could run bots to fill in for any non-human players you have.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                        get to work duke!



                        AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                          That's my idea, Cing.. You stole it. :)
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                            Cing, what you propose could be done, but to get one company to design it would be a serious undertaking, and it seems EA would probably snatch that up. I don't like EA so i say don't let them get a hold of the idea!

                            What would be an idea is have the different companies come together who currently produce top end games and produce each one under the umbrella of a single goal. That probably won't happen unless a bunch of people high up in the game business really pull some strings.


                            - -

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What is one of the upcoming big game ideas?

                              Originally posted by Apophis
                              That's my idea, Cing.. You stole it. :)
                              You sure? I remember discussing this with Hollywood here in the forums back before BF:1942 was released... Maybe you did spark the idea in my mind, but I've been playing this game in my head for years now...

                              Originally posted by Vulcan
                              What would be an idea is have the different companies come together who currently produce top end games and produce each one under the umbrella of a single goal. That probably won't happen unless a bunch of people high up in the game business really pull some strings.
                              Yeah, I was thinking in terms of defining a standard for a "ultimate game server". Developers design their games around these certain standards which will allow for these different genres to interact with each other on the same server. I have no idea how difficult this would be to do without tweaking the individual games to work with each other, but if it could be done so that any developer could simply incorporate these certain standards into their game code in order to allow cross-genre gameplay, it would be spectacular! Imagine being able to play Call of Duty 2 with IL2 Sturmovik on the same server! Or LOMAC and Ghost Recon! Or, or... Man, the possibilities are endless!
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X