Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys I found out something very interesting today at my job.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys I found out something very interesting today at my job.

Slightly before I had to go home yesterday from work I found out something. Its really important and I wanted to let you and just about every other human being I know know. Its about Best Buy Performance Service Plans. I just found out the catch. It lasts only as long as the manufacturers warrenty. Which for PCs and notebooks is only 1 year from the manufacturer. However we only sell plans for 2 or 3 years.

Moral of the day never buy a service plan ever atleast from Best Buy.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Hey guys I found out something very interesting today at my job.

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
    Slightly before I had to go home yesterday from work I found out something. Its really important and I wanted to let you and just about every other human being I know know. Its about Best Buy Performance Service Plans. I just found out the catch. It lasts only as long as the manufacturers warrenty. Which for PCs and notebooks is only 1 year from the manufacturer. However we only sell plans for 2 or 3 years.

Moral of the day never buy a service plan ever atleast from Best Buy.
    Oh, time for me to rant....

We needed 4 DVD players last year. Best Buy had the cheap ones on sale for $25 each. We knew they were cheap and that at least one of them would break within a year or so, so we bought one service plan (oddly, they're not assigned to a specific serial number...). Well, last month one of them broke. It wouldn't eject a DVD (I had to get the "technicians" at Best Buy to take my Kobe Tai video out before they threw the player away...). Anyway, so they start hassling us (wife and I) about not having a receipt. They insist that they can't honor their service plan without a receipt. We insist that we were told when we purchased it, that it would be in the computer and that we didn't need to keep the receipt. After about an hour of arguing (and, eventually, me trying to call Best Buy corporate HQ on my cell), they finally agree to honor the service plan that popped right up in their computer at the beginning of our argument. Pissed off, I storm out of the store.

We get home and hook up the DVD player. It doesn't work. It won't read any discs at all... ARGH!!!! So, we take the player back to Best Buy and let them know what happened. They won't exchange it. Evidently, once you use your service plan, it's gone. And even though there's a 30 day exchange policy on all purchases, a "purchase" is when you hand them money, so, in my case, the purchase was over a year ago... I got really belligerent this time. I was furious that they were going to try to fulfill their service contract with a broken product. I yelled. I threatened to start a letter writing campaign. I got everyone's name that I could get in the "customer service" department. I again started to call Best Buy Corp. HQ and they again gave in to me.

They made it clear that they no longer want my business. I'll oblige them. They're rarely the cheapest place to buy anything, anyway...

Moral of the story: Stay away from the Best Buy in Fort Worth, don't buy service plans even if you're SURE that you'll be using it, and don't bother with cheap electronics. Spend the extra money on a brand name that you can trust.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah i had the same problem with a TV i bought. Crappy 20 inch set. I went through 2 before i exchanged for a better one, one had cracks in the plastic and the other developed big green dots on the screen after like an hour of watching. Both times it took like a half hour of arguing with customer "service" people to get a different set. I try and stay away from Best Buy as much as possible after that.

---

Comment

I used to drive by the Best Buy Corporate Headquarters every day.... It's a pretty cool looking building.

I've never bought a service plan from them, and never will. It's for the people who roughouse with the equipment. I don't do that. If something goes wrong with my stuff, It's the manufacturer's problem, and not mine. Manufacturer warrantys only last a year because manufacturer defects pop up in under a year. (With HP though, it's usually about 2 weeks after the 1 year date, but, I digress)

If my equipemnt breaks in that year, im covered. If it does not, then It was my fault because I broke it.

It's how it goes 9 / 10 times.
        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

best buy is way overpriced on alot of mid to high end equipment, from my experience anyway.

I don't bother with cheap.

- -

Comment

I haven't bought anything at Best Buy since I was 12 and a consumer whore. It definitely was Slipknot's S/T.

:( I still own that

But yeah, I never buy service plans. Got one for my 360 though, but that's something different you know.

Comment

Best Buy sucks even if you do not buy the warrenty.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I just realized that my 20+ CD haul from a couple months back was done at Best Buy. I am now sad.

Comment

Last big purchase I made was a Hard Drive.

I wanted a hard drive for my OS, because I diddn't want my OS on my Raid setup anymore.

I walked in saying I would only need like a 20G HD for this, nothing would be on it except my User profile and the OS (and desktop shortcuts to items that are on my Raid setup) But I had no computer at the time until I could get this Hard Drive, so I had to quickly find one.

Anyhow, I went through Best Buy looking for a hard drive, the smallest and least expencive Hard Drive was a 160GB for $100.

I had just less than a month prior purchased a 300GB External Hard Drive for $160.

since it was somewhat of an emergency (obviously, I cannot live without a computer) I was forced to buy it. So now I have 139 GB of room left on a hard drive that is not meant to hold anything other than an OS.

Sometime I might buy a small one and make this one into even more storage, but... too lazy right now =p
                  RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bubba
                    Best Buy sucks even if you do not buy the warrenty.
                    Yes they do.

I forgot to add the story about when I was trying to leave with my broken DVD player!

I think we talked about this here before, but Best Buy likes to check your merchandised with your receipt right after you've left the cash register and are walking out! I don't let them. I walk right past the guy with the little highlighter. "Excuse me, sir. Could I just check your receipt real quick?" I reply: "No." and keep walking. He runs a few steps after me with a confused look on his face, and then shouts after me, "I'm going to call the police, you thief!" Well, if my blood wasn't boiling before, that certainly did it. I stopped, turned around and walked back to the store exit. I wanted to grab the little punk by his neck and drag him to his manager. Unfortunately, the manager was not in a mood to entertain any further complaints from me. So, instead, I just stopped in front of the punk and told him that I'm not a thief and that further slanderous accusations could result in legal action against both him and Best Buy, would probably cost him his job and would most certainly not result in a promotion up from "receipt checker". I then turned to walk away. HE GRABBED ME. You have no idea how difficult it was to not just turn around and knock his block off. I calmly turned around and asked him what he was doing. He said that I couldn't just walk off without letting him check the receipt. I said I certainly could and I shook him off (almost putting him on his face in the process) and walked away, again. He went crying to his manager and probably got fired after that, but I left.

Granted, I kinda provoked the punk's ignorance, but they shouldn't have him doing something that tends to provoke illegal behavior in their employees without training them correctly. I broke no laws, and he broke two seperate laws. Best Buy is going to get slammed some day. I'm not the lawsuit type, but they've made me pretty mad lately.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

And that is why i love the cold, uncaring feeling of an online purchase :D.

---

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                        Yes they do.

I forgot to add the story about when I was trying to leave with my broken DVD player!

I think we talked about this here before, but Best Buy likes to check your merchandised with your receipt right after you've left the cash register and are walking out! I don't let them. I walk right past the guy with the little highlighter. "Excuse me, sir. Could I just check your receipt real quick?" I reply: "No." and keep walking. He runs a few steps after me with a confused look on his face, and then shouts after me, "I'm going to call the police, you thief!" Well, if my blood wasn't boiling before, that certainly did it. I stopped, turned around and walked back to the store exit. I wanted to grab the little punk by his neck and drag him to his manager. Unfortunately, the manager was not in a mood to entertain any further complaints from me. So, instead, I just stopped in front of the punk and told him that I'm not a thief and that further slanderous accusations could result in legal action against both him and Best Buy, would probably cost him his job and would most certainly not result in a promotion up from "receipt checker". I then turned to walk away. HE GRABBED ME. You have no idea how difficult it was to not just turn around and knock his block off. I calmly turned around and asked him what he was doing. He said that I couldn't just walk off without letting him check the receipt. I said I certainly could and I shook him off (almost putting him on his face in the process) and walked away, again. He went crying to his manager and probably got fired after that, but I left.

Granted, I kinda provoked the punk's ignorance, but they shouldn't have him doing something that tends to provoke illegal behavior in their employees without training them correctly. I broke no laws, and he broke two seperate laws. Best Buy is going to get slammed some day. I'm not the lawsuit type, but they've made me pretty mad lately.
                        Cingular, I want to visit. We can make a trip to your local BB, Im in a brawling mood :)
                        USAR

Comment

lol lets all go to cingulars house and make a TG raid on his local BB!!

ps..... jeez if someone grabbed me while i was in the mood you described it would be pretty hard for me to NOT at least shove him real hard offa me

your actions show maturity and moral fortitude, cingular, qualities rare seen these days. good on ya

Comment

Let's all go to Cing's house and drink his beer :D

Comment

Nice :). Now we can start a list of what we will do when we are at Cing's house.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X