getting stuff is overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting stuff is overrated

Getting stuff gets old fast. And in time, you're just left with a lot of crap you don't care about. The real fun in Christmas, the fun that you remember a decade from now, is giving stuff.

Take a minute and tell folks what you gave other people for Christmas.

My wife and I prefer to give gifts that we think other people will both use and be comforted by throughout the new year. Last year we gave really warm, cumfy, wool throws to everyone.

This year, we made homemade candles. We melted down wax, put them in crystal containers (not homemade, but each was selected carefully with the recipient in mind, and everyone's was unique), afixed a wick inside the crystal, and poured the hot, liquid wax into the crystal. Let it cool overnight and decorate with Christmas ribbons, and you've got a nice Christmas candle. Add to that a homemade card, and you've got a dining room table full of gifts our family and friends loved, without having broken the bank.

It was a lot of work, but we did a lot of things wrong the first time. We learned a lot about candle-making. :)

Share what you gave away, and why you gave that instead of something else.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I totally agree, its always better to give then to receive. Like this one time I was with this girl... ok well maybe I wont tell that story :P

Comment

I know. My mom gave me $20 to spend on my bro and sis. I used that + $40 of my own to get them good stuff.
      My bro: BF1942: Secrets of WWII
      My sis: Sim City 3000 (Which she loves to death)

Comment

Well, I'm not big on making things and I'm highly unimaginitive when it comes to giving gifts...

I tend to ask for Xmas lists and just pick out what I can afford on their list.

Don't take this personally, Wyz, but I can't understand why anyone would want to give people gifts that people MIGHT want, if there's a list of things that those people DEFINITELY want... I say don't take it personally because handmade things are always going to be neglected from wish lists and are always nice to have.

I didn't get a candle.... And I like candles...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm with Dave on this. I suck at making stuff, so I usually just take them to the mall or something and point stuff out. If they like it, then thats what they're getting for Xmas.

Comment

I had dinner with my family when I got into town and I listened carefully when we were talking. My brother mentioned how much he loves the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". I knew he didn't have it so that's what he got. He was actually hoping someone would get it for him after he opened it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I made all of my own Christmas cards (as some of you know) for my whole family- at LEAST 30 of them, all hand cut, glued and embossed. I worked on them through all of October and November, so the recipients know that I worked hard to make them just right.

Then, I made a whole bunch of different cookies, decorated gingerbread men with my son, and gave out cookie platters as gifts for my family. Talin and I had a blast making goofball faces on the gingerbread guys and choosing who got what faces. Then we tied them up with a nice red ribbon. We also made little packs of cookies for his little friends in the neighborhood.

Thanks for this thread, Wyzcrak- it seems much more in the holiday spirit.

Comment

My pleasure luna. :) Thanks for noticing. :)

Reading luna's post made me think of the funnest part of making Christmas gifts. The whole time you're making them, you think of the people you're going to give them to. You think of how much fun you'll have giving them to the other person. Generally, you don't "make" gifts for people unless you're confident that they'll appreciate them unconditionally. Hopefully everyone has family/friends like that, even if only a few.

haha don't get me wrong guys. I'm hardly Martha Stewart. The candles were my wife's idea. She's very creative, extremely artistic, and I was pleased to have such a great idea for Christmas available. All I did was poor wax and apply Elmer's glue to wick holders. :)

Homemade and all that other stuff aside, I think there is a certain satisfaction that comes from giving to someone something they want without them having told you specifically. It shows that person that .... well.. I could word it a lot of ways, but you get the point. Of course, if you're WRONG in your assumption, then the other person is left with a crappy gift. So that sucks. :)

I gave my brother-in-law a Best Buy gift certificate. And he gave one to me, and we loved it. And we both got what we wanted. :)

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                  I had dinner with my family when I got into town and I listened carefully when we were talking. My brother mentioned how much he loves the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". I knew he didn't have it so that's what he got. He was actually hoping someone would get it for him after he opened it.
                  mmmmm dinner with family. No matter how angry I may get at my family during the year, I always try hard to enjoy the holiday meals I have with them. Some I see often, some I see twice a year. It never requires much effort to enjoy it, thankfully. :)

Of course, my brother looked at me funny when I held up the piece of chocolate pie on my fork and said, "this is for you, jackel." But he'll get over it. :)

Anyway, Sarc's post reminded me that someone got my wife a very specific gift which she was convinced no one was getting her. She was thrilled, and the person who gave it to her didn't realize what a powerful surprise that gift turned out to be for her. :)

Wyzcrak

Comment

how interesting.. i don't do christmas, all my friends like it that way too. I asked once why is it that they don't mind...
                    They say-- "first time i received a gift from you, all wrapped up with a huge tie and all the rest i asked you -- what's the occasion? you said, happy wednesday..."

Comment

Very nice, Revan.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Revan
                        how interesting.. i don't do christmas, all my friends like it that way too. I asked once why is it that they don't mind...
                        They say-- "first time i received a gift from you, all wrapped up with a huge tie and all the rest i asked you -- what's the occasion? you said, happy wednesday..."
                        Nice!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

i suppose it boils down to the fact that is totally out of the blue, unexpected. That it is not because it is their birthday nor christmas nor any such occasions where people feel the need to buy presents for others.. it is a simple gesture of my respect and how much i care, and that i do not need an excuse to show it to them.. so happy sunday all

Comment

I was really bad at buying gifts this xmas. The only really nice one was a Jamie Oliver cookbook for my dad. Do you guys have him in the US? quirky Cockney bloke, who is always on Sainsbury's adverts.

We did have a really nice xmas day with my family which was what made the holiday for me.
                            Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

My family has gotten into the really bad habit of giving each other lists. Lists can be good because you can get people exactly what they want (which is why we do it, thanks to a picky Mother). But there is no surprise, no forethought. It's all very boring.

So, my wife and I are slowly getting away from it. This year we bought a couple things on peoples' lists, but then also got something we thought they would enjoy just for the heck of it. We also put a $50 dollar limit on x-mas a few years ago after things got out of control. We contribute to the economy all year...no reason to go into debt for x-mas.

We gave my Sister a room heater cause the insulation in her new condo sucks.

We got Dad a couple books from the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" series...he eats that stuff up.

Mom got thick wool socks and spiced tea.

It's so much more meaningful when you spend the time to think about what the person might enjoy and the surprise is worth the effort.
                              New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X