Anyone playing X3 Reunion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone playing X3 Reunion?

Its been such a long time I havent played a decent space simulation (or game). The last ones were Wing Commander 5 and Privateer II and loved both of them.

I guess it might be the right time dive back into this genre with the recent release of X3. Anyone playing it? Comments?

Re: Anyone playing X3 Reunion?

I hear great things about X3...and horrible things. Let me quote you a snippet of a review from one game magazine:

"Unless you are the master of intuition, your first few days with this game will be days of baffled frustration. How the hell are you supposed to do anything at all?"

"At the beginning of mission 4 you're supposed to go and meet someone in a sector called Freedom's Reach. Problem is, Freedom's Reach is not on your map which makes finding it next to impossible."

"Hit up the forums and you will discover a whole lot more still to be fixed. Mining, for instance. Mission 7, without which you can't even finish the game story"

If this sounds bad to you, worry not:
    "And yet, despite all these problems, it's hard to deny that X3 is the best space trading game ever. If you can get your head around the way you interact with the universe, it can be amazing. You can make so much money in this game that you can buy a destroyer and a whole fleet, warp to a major industrial sector, destroy everything and replace all the factories with your own, thus monopolising a key trading route."

Verdict: 80% - "Take the seriously good with the seriously bad."

I'm actually tempted by this, but I found an old copy of Civ 2, and am getting back to the addiction. Plus BF2, SF, AA and OFP are still there...

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Thanks for the info Munch.

There is only one big reason for me not to buy X3: Lack of cockpit view ! It is a very important element for immersion. You feel you are actually in a spacecraft not floating in space...

Same goes for last generation Need For Speed games. I deeply hate EA for killing once a great driving simulation by turning it into a console street race game, without a dashboard view. I hope Test Drive unlimited with its great looking in-car graphics will fill the void.

Comment

I've been playing it a bit here and there and its pretty good so far. Granted I havent done much of the plot missions but rather just been doing my own thing with trading and combat.

It was a little slow starting out as I'm really not all that much into trading, but I stuck with it to get a station up and a Universe Trader going and now I'm just exploring and killing pirates while they bring in the income. So now I'm more management than a hauler with my end goal of building up a military fleet. However thats just one of the things that really make the game, the ability to play it for the most part how you want.

I havent come accross any serious issues at all actualy. The game for me has been far more stable than several other releases that have come out (using the latest patch). I had to kick the settings down to medium but it still looks good on my P4 2.8g, 9800Pro system.

There is an addon you can DL that adds the X2 cockpit that looks pretty good. At first I was leary about the lack of cockpits as well, but it really has'nt bothered me once I started playing.

My only really major complaint is the interface can be a bit cumbersome and kind of gets worse with the more assets you start to aquire. Hopefully some of that will be correct with the user scripts that are starting to come out.

Overall I would say if you decide to pick it up then buy it for the other modes of play other than the plot (at least until they patch it). It's a freeform game and thats where it excels.

ps - Pic of the cockpit from Bisher at SimHQ (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boa...f=142;t=001242)

Comment

I played through X2, which is essentially the same as X3. Haven't picked up X3 because nobody carries it where I live.

In short, the plot will suck horribly, and the combat isn't quite as good as other space sims, but the game is Purrrrrdy, and it's rather fun building up your own station empire with it's own fleet for it's own sake :D

There are also some game issues, but the dev team regularily informs the community via the forums what's going on. New patch due out very shortly that should fix about 90% of the problems. Deffinantly a pick up if you like space sims and never played X2, but be aware that the learning curve is rather steep.
          Also a pick up if you are a big fan of the "sandbox" style of gameplay.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Where do you get this game? When I do a search I only find UK outlets.

Comment

Does it have a co-op feature?
              "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
              - Lazarus Long

Comment

I dont think it has co-op, I found it at EB but I think I will wait for the next patch to come out before I buy it. I want a good space sim but not sure what one to buy.

Comment

It uses Starforce = Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by VegaBond
                    It uses Starforce = Sucks.
                    Which one uses Starforce? X3?

I don't really care to much about that, I don't use anything illegal.

Comment

A non-playable (hope to see playable one soon) demo of X3 is available at
                      http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096483703/

I'll check it out tonight.

Comment

Demo is just movies :(

And I meant Starfoce which screws up your DVD/CD drives internally with bad drivers...

Comment

In a way yes but different than movies because uses the in-game engine and scripts. So it gives an idea how nice everything looks actually :)

I guess I will wait for this to hit the bargain bin.

Comment

It won't hit the bargain bin because most places don't carry it (it's a Euro developed game put out buy a Euro publisher) I got mine from Newegg.com's software store, personally, and have spent waaaay too much time playing it already. But if you're not a hardcore space-sim person, this game probably absolutely isn't for you.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

okay i seen this at walmart today, anyone play it and is it compareable to eve? do i have to pay to play or is Homeworld 2 better
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...