Major Server Upgrade - Coming Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Server Upgrade - Coming Soon

A new server has been provisioned for Tactical Gamer. This new server will be used to host the TacticalGamer.com web site and forums. With all the growth we have had lately, traffic on the site is up quite a bit. As a result, the server is feeling the load and rather than waiting until the site is slower than snot, I would prefer to get it upgraded sooner than later.

The new server is a Dual Xeon P4 2.8 with 2GB of memory and dual 80GB 15,000 RPM SCSI drives. My intention is to migrate ONLY the Tactical Gamer website over to this new server. This will leave our existing server hosting TeamSpeak, e-mail and supporting member webspace.

In addition to increasing performance, it will also allow me to lock down the security of the site considerably more than it is now.

This new upgrade will satisfy our growth needs for the next year. If we continue growing at the rate we are now, the next step will be to isolate the database server from the web server in a proper 2-tier architecture.

The TacticalNews.com site has also been terminated. It did not perform as I expected it to and it's quite a lot of overhead to put on the server. While I enjoy my little side projects, Tactical News didn't make the grade. The overhead far outweighed any actual usefulness to the community. I am also considering the future of Tactical Conflict. I do not believe I have the time to really make TC work as I planned, so I would rather shut it down and divert that traffic to Tactical Gamer.

As of right now, the new server is fully configured and is currently undergoing testing and optimization. Having a clean slate to start out from will make things a lot easier for me in terms of performing major overhauls of the database engine/configuration and other back-end applications that make the whole site work.

I am anticipating the actual move to the new server sometime towards the end of this week and/or weekend. The test migration I performed yesterday only took approximately 45 minutes from start to finish, so I would not expect the final migration to take more than 60 minutes. When the migration is complete, the site WILL have a new IP address, so there may be some delay in the propigation of DNS. I have made changes to our DNS servers to shorten the TTL (time-to-live) to minimize the effects of the IP change, but not all ISPs and DNS providers respect these TTL values.

Any new updates or information will be posted in this thread as they are available.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Major Server Upgrade - Coming Soon

Congrats, A. Nice, meaty explanation for us techies. ;)

Is this a custom box or COTS? (For comparison, MA is using a Compaq DL380. Photos here.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
      Congrats, A. Nice, meaty explanation for us techies. ;)

Is this a custom box or COTS? (For comparison, MA is using a Compaq DL380. Photos here.)
      It's a COTS server. Dell PowerEdge 2850.

The thing is quite the screamer. I had a blast last night compiling all the software and watching how fast it ripped through the configures and actual compiles.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1645657,00.asp

Comment

I've got some PE's at the office, both towers. (Don't recall the models offhand, but they're SC series IIRC.) I've gotta time a kernel rebuild on the one running Fedora Core 2 and compare it to my new AMD64 desktop system running FC4, and the MA system mentioned above. I think I can get a reasonably fair comparison by running du over the unpacked source first and weighting the results by that.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Can you give us the IP ahead of time so we can conect immediately? =)
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Awesome ole mighty one.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Sweet. I noticed the website and forums seemed a little slow recently but thought it might be a problem on my side.

Just curious, how many servers does TG have at this point?

Comment

Yes...

EA and Apophis is different... Did you know that?

Just Kidding. Good news indeed.

Comment

Just hope everything is as painless as it seems.

*Apo sees how fast he can do something on his new server*

Comment

any one remember what happend last time we did a site "upgrade".....a baby....poor poor luna.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                      any one remember what happend last time we did a site "upgrade".....a baby....poor poor luna.
                      That means that it's Apo's turn to have a baby! :icon24: :icon19:
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Heh.. You may have missed it, but the migration occured early this afternoon. Everything went quite smoothly.

The only remaining issue is the TeamSpeak status script which will be fixed this evening.

Comment

luckly i was in class so i dint miss anything.....
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Yea, I quit pub raiding and found the update in progress. Had to go back and do the honey do projects.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

well then your wife should thank apo for this site upgrade......mines still pissed i found this place....lol
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...