Forum Walkthrough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Walkthrough

I decided to make up a post that would explain basic things about the forum layout, and forum rules and what to do situations. I will refrain from posting back in this thread because I do not want to lose the ability to edit this post.

Layout:

The post I am making is surrounded by many diffrent shiny buttons that do diffrent things.

This is the button for Reputation. It allows users to add or subtract reputation from whoever they chose. As Apo has said in this thread, reputation dosen't have a rhyme or reason for why it is given. You don't have to meet certian requirments inorder to give +rep or -rep to people, just give it if you believe someone posted something positive or if someone posted something negitive. Beware of giving negetive rep because it usually just makes people feel bad. The amount of rep given to the person is based on how much rep you actually have. Wyz gives you a rep boost of 30, while a new member would only give a few points of rep.

This button reports a bad post, one that you feel is spam advertising or something totally not needed here in the forums.

There are signature limitations you can read about in this post. It generally tells you not to have an image over 468x100 and not to have anything offensive in your signature. Keeping within the image limitations will make all of the people on dialup happy too :).

The search function is located in the bar above the hierachy for the website and on the right side. If you don't use it, then kitty dies. Then you are sad :(. Forum search prevents lots of double posts and it helps the admins out immensly.

Under the posts you make, there is a button next to it which allows you to edit your post if you want to change something in it. The button next to it, , allows you to open a response window with the message quoted from which ever quote button you pressed. All of the buttons inside the general table of someone's post are related to that person.

Under each specific game forum, there is a section for Offical Rules, Announcments and SOP's. New members should always read these and regular members should check back to them every so often to check for new posts and updates to rules.

Posts about problamatic players are extremly bad and will end you up with hard feelings and a locked thread, and possibly -rep. Those complaints should be taken up via PM and that should solve your problem.

The Tactical Gamer Primer gives all of the information you should need on how we play and what this community is about. The Primer is located in the Official Announcments Forum and that entire section is a must read for all members.

If you look at the bottom of the page, there is a link named Forum Leaders, which displays a list of all of the moderators and the diffrent groups and their members. Using this list will allow you to find an admin and contact them.

My intent of this thread is to help new players become familiar with the forum layout and give them a stepping stone to become a regular member.
    Last edited by Acid; 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM.

Re: Forum Walkthrough

Originally posted by black death5
    The amount of rep given to the person is based on how much rep you actually have. Wyz gives you a rep boost of 30, while a new member would only give a few points of rep.
    I'm fairly certain you're incorrect on that one. It's tied to post count; THAT'S why wyz gives you monster rep.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
      I'm fairly certain you're incorrect on that one. It's tied to post count; THAT'S why wyz gives you monster rep.
      Nope, the more rep you have, the more influential you are on others' reputation scores. Likewise, if you have a red bubble under your avatar, your rep votes aren't going to have much of an effect on anyone...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

innnnnnnnnnteresting... that's how my rep jumped 10 points one day w/ only 1 or 2 (+reps).... :icon14:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Nope, the more rep you have, the more influential you are on others' reputation scores. Likewise, if you have a red bubble under your avatar, your rep votes aren't going to have much of an effect on anyone...
          I think that has an effect too, but I KNOW it's tied to post count as well; new members fresh off the boat can't affect your rep until they have... 50 posts? Something like that.

And Wyz was giving boatloads of rep long before he got the bazillion bubbles he has now.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
            I think that has an effect too, but I KNOW it's tied to post count as well; new members fresh off the boat can't affect your rep until they have... 50 posts? Something like that.
            Oh, well, there could be some minimum number of posts required before being able to give rep, but I thought we were talking about how influential your rep votes are, and that is tied to your own reputation, not your post count.
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I think reputation power is based upon number of posts, your own reputation points, and how long you've been registered. You give people reputation points based upon your power, and you take away their points based upon power / 2.

Here are the options that can be set in the admin CP:
              # Register Date Factor
              The number of reputation points that a user is able to give or take is dependant on several factors, with the length they have been registered as one of them. A user's power is first initialized at 1 and then this factor and the factors that follow are used to increase it. For example if you set this to 365, every 365 days that the user has been a member of your forum, they would gain one point. So if they have been a member for five years, they would gain 5 points of power for a total of 6.
              # Post Count Factor
              The amount of posts that a user has can also affect their reputation power. Set this to number of posts that you want to award one point for. For example, set this to 50 and for a user with 500 posts, they would gain 10 points of power.
              # Reputation Point Factor
              The users current reputation score can also affect their reputation power. Set this to 100 and a user with a reputation of 1000 would gain 10 points of reputation power. If you set any of the power factors to 0, that will effectively remove that factor from having an effect on the user's reputation power.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

So, with my posting addiction, you guys are in serious trouble. :p
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                  I think reputation power is based upon number of posts, your own reputation points, and how long you've been registered.
                  Nope. It's like Cing said - you have to have made at least x posts to give rep, but rep altering power is based entirely on your rep.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Ah, so post count is just the threshold, and rep is the multiplier.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                      Nope. It's like Cing said - you have to have made at least x posts to give rep, but rep altering power is based entirely on your rep.
                      So the registration date factor and post count factor are both set to zero here?
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                        So the registration date factor and post count factor are both set to zero here?
                        I believe so. Apophis would know for sure, but that's how he explained it to me. That was before the forums upgrade, though, so...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

What the heck is the edit post time? I just posted a few days ago and nothing else in this forum after my original post, but i cant edit it again.

Comment

Some forums limit the window in which you can edit your post. The idea is that you can fix your typos but you can't take back your content, once a few people see it.

Comment

I know, but i made this post with the idea of always going back and editing and updating the content when there are further forum changes, and to add new walkthrough's to the original.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X