No announcement yet.

No wonder Linux will never get respect!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder Linux will never get respect!

For those of you that don't follow these things, Linus Torvlads just started the mother of all furballs.

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=12956

Torvalds, the key architect behind the kernel that runs on everything, and a member of the Open Source Developers Labs, took the GNOME project to task for ignoring the end user.

The complete discussion is here, and still evolving.

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desk.../date.html#390

Personally, I like fluxbox. :icon19:

Re: No wonder Linux will never get respect!

I like GNOME for anything I use on a daily basis.

But yeah, this should be interesting, although not sure why Torvalds is weighing in heavily, if I was him I would not worry about X Window managers/desktop and focus on the kernel.

Should be an interesting fight, I need to see if Miguel weighs in ont he subject. Right now I love the mono project, if only I could get it working sanely on my IBook.

Az - OSX Windows Linux User
    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
      Linus Torvlads.....took the GNOME project to task for ignoring the end user.
      That mad man! He must be stopped! :D
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by AzrealDarkmoon
        Should be an interesting fight, I need to see if Miguel weighs in ont he subject.
        So far, he hasn't. Havoc has though, and taken the high road, more or less.

Comment

/me is confused.
          USAR

Comment

Frankly I agree with Linus, though he could have put it more tactfully that's for sure. It seems he's a bit ticked off and is letting it show with a 'rant-speak' tone. Though he always tends to be blunt.

Originally posted by Linus
            Read slashdot (yeah, I didn't realize that this was a public mailing list or I might have been more polite. Or maybe I wouldn't have. Screw slashdot).
            :row__572:

I for one have felt exactly this way playing with the current gen of Gnome on an old laptop I have linux on.

I used to run Gnome (with E as my window manager) when I was a regular linux user. It was a lot more user configurable in its earlier days. I should give KDE a try as well as some of the other options like XFCE while I wait and dream of the joy (I hope) that E 17 may be.
            --
            Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Read Linus' "autobiography" Just for Fun and I think you'll come away with a better idea of the man. He's not interested in being everyone's saint. He wants to talk about technology, and he's not above being an ass about it. And he openly admits that.

There's a widespread presumption that we need to "sell" Linux, but I think it's already widespread enough to ensure adequate programming support. I don't really care if it doesn't succeed on the desktop; that's mainly nice because it means one can work with a system where one can see everything all the way to the "metal", and debugging problems oneself is practical. One doesn't have to rely on some giant corporate vendor that doesn't care about the small guy's issues.

Linux is already successful in servers and embedded systems.

(It's easy to spot Windows server admins: They're the guys who can't find the restroom unless there's an icon on the door. ;))
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I always figured him more of a command-line guy.
                RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

so is this a bad thing or good thing.....cuase i dint understand a damn word of it
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                    It's easy to spot Windows server admins: They're the guys who can't find the restroom unless there's an icon on the door. ;)
                    Haha. Now that's well put. Currently, I use Windows just because it's easily compatible with my stuff and with my dad's router/computer (He used to be a Windows network admin... *shudder*), but I MUCH prefer Linux. It's like comparing sex and masturbation. It just... well, doesn't compare.

Comment

Poe....that was just wrong :D. I burned live-cd knome onto a cd, but it never worked for me when i booted it up. mabey it will work on a win95 :o.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                        Poe....that was just wrong :D.
                        So wrong, but so very right. It's the PERFECT analogy for that.

Linux = :icon40:
                        Windows = :icon41: / :icon34: / :icon33:

Comment

Windows is easy to install. Linux is easy to fix. It's like the difference between a hot rod with easy under-the-hood accessibility and the family Buick with the sealed computer-controlled engine. With the hood welded shut. The Buick will get you there in comfort and style. But if you break down in the middle of nowhere, I hope you've paid up your expensive towing insurance, and your factory maintenance. For Linux, you just have to call the neighborhood digital grease monkey.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                            Windows is easy to install. Linux is easy to fix. .
                            That about sums it up.

Comment

Windows are/is funner to break though.
                              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X