MMORPG Barriers To Entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMORPG Barriers To Entry

I'm floating an idea with the WoW admins, but in order to do that, I need more information.

I'm posting here in general discussion, so that all the folks that normally are averse to looking at WoW Forums will get in on the poll.

Here's the issue: WoW and EVE are great games, but not everyone is participating. My question is simple: why?

What is your barrier to entry?
    I'm interested, but can't afford the game right now
    28.57%
    I'm philosophically opposed to subscription based games
    20.41%
    BF2/CSS/etc. ownzors all!
    30.61%
    I do actively play WoW/EVE
    20.41%

Re: MMORPG Barriers To Entry

the price....i cant really afford the whole monthly charge....if it was less, maybe closer to the SM payment i might be able to..

Im having a blast in EVE right now but im not sure i can spare the extra cash to play.....and my wife would have a fit....but then again what she doesnt know cant get me killed
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Subscription based games: NO THANK YOU. The time commitment for those games aside, I really hate the fact that after you've purcased the software you still need to pay to play. Pay to play is so damn stupid.
      USAR

Comment

Yeah, I would say the monthly subscription price is my major barrier. I don't mind paying to support a community but paying to play a specific game is something I don't do.

Comment

I have a WoW account, but I kinda don't feel like playing at the moment. My character's rest XP bar has got to extend to level 60 by now. :P
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I'm doing the 14 day free trial for EVE and so far I've only done the tutorial. I haven't gotten a chance to team up with any TGer's yet but so far the game doesn't really impress me. Mostly because the game is a space RPG and not a space sim. Now there's nothing wrong with space RPGs but it's not exactly what Im craving. I'm not giving up on EVE yet though, I'll give it the 2 weeks and see if it's more fun being part of a corporation.

As far as barriers go, for me it's mostly a matter of time. There are lots of games and only so many hours a week I can play. If EVE didn't have offline training of skills I never would have even tried it out. For other MMORPGs, my understanding is that in order to advance you have to do all your "grinding" online and that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Another barrier for me is time. Didn't I say time already? I did, but here's another factor to time. I just can't commit to the larger blocks of time neccesary to do "quests/instances/missions" whatever you want to call it. I used to play an online RPG long ago and I remember doing similar things to what you guys in WoW do today. Getting together a huge party/group and going after uber rewards that take hours to complete. You can't leave because you made a commitment to your friends to stick it out till the end to help everyone get their uber fish head +1. You can't leave because you provide a critical skill to the group that needs you to be there. You can't leave because even worse, you literally can't leave, as in you don't have a way out and just dropping your connection would be the equivalent of throwing away all the hours you've invested in your character. While all those problems are bad, the worse problem I ever encountered while playing online RPGs is the dreaded you can't leave because the 3 hour quest we were on has suddenly turn into a 6 hour rescue effort because things went horribly wrong and you can't just leave everybody's stuff behind causing lots of people to lose hundreds of hours of work. Now this may be a problem in EVE, I'm not sure yet because I haven't had a chance to team up with TG, but if it does require these large blocks of time, then I probably won't start a subscription.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm coming down hard on online RPGs, it really wasn't my intention when I started this post. I think online RPGs can be great and if you're really into it, the monthly fee is small compared to the hours of enjoyment you can get from playing. But most importantly you need to have the time necessary to play an online RPG and I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

EDIT: Your poll is missing my choice for biggest barrier to entry: Time.

Comment

Doube Plus FriedFish's response!

Comment

I voted for "i can't afford it". That was my reason for not playing any MMO's for a while. Now i can afford it and i might subscribe to EVE.

---

Comment

Where's the option for "They're no fun?" I played WoW: I got to level 60 and suddenly I couldn't make any progress unless I played for 3 hours at a time. That's no fun at all! I mean, come on! And EVE is a no-go, because X3:Reunion is basically the same thing except better/cheaper.

Comment

I added a voting option to the poll for those that DO actually play and have no barrier to entry. :-)
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      I added a voting option to the poll for those that DO actually play and have no barrier to entry. :-)
                      Thanks! There's no way to really edit the poll without deleting.

Can you also make the vote public?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                        Thanks! There's no way to really edit the poll without deleting.

Can you also make the vote public?
                        I could, but I prefer not to.. I'll PM you on this.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I generally limit myself to one MMO at a time. Dropped CoH (which I hadn't been playing) to pick up EVE again. So there is no barrier to entry for me.

WoW, however, is an unpleasant in-game hack n' grind, so it turned me off within a month. EVE is a more elegant community-building and strategic game, so if TG members are serious about carving out a little empire there, I'm on that like green on grass.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

BF2 Owns my time right now. I use cards for WoW subscription time because I can start and stop the time on them as I feel like it.. but even that is waning.. the WoW world has become.. has become.. I don't know.. so-so?

But on the otherhand, I have yet to look up the TG community there - which I will probably do before dropping out altogether.
                            sigpic

Comment

I can't answer the poll because none of the options fit my feelings.

- time, like in Fried Fish's post, my time blocks are uncertain at best
                              - money, $20 US for a month, are you insane? How many months will I have to pay for before I feel like I've enjoyed the game? That is truly a ludicrous price per player for server maintenance.

So without the free time, I doubt I can get $20/month of value out of Eve Online.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X