Looking for Suggestions on MilSim-style Tactical Shooters w/ Single Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Suggestions on MilSim-style Tactical Shooters w/ Single Player

I want to find more tactical police/military simulation type shooters with strong single-player elements, but am having a hard time wading through the options. When I ask this in most forums people try to sell me on Battlefield and Rainbow Six Siege; I have played both and they are not at all what I am looking for. Aside from not being remotely interested in multiplayer (other than co-op) I also find that these games, for all their physics and polish, are less realistic than the original Rainbow Six. But there are many other games I have no played whose developers or fans claim they are 'realistic', and I find it hard to take these seriously upon reading about the actual game mechanics.

I have been a huge fan of the mission-based single-player (and co-op) games since I first played Rainbow Six in the N64. I have been out of PC gaming in large part for a few years, but I was wanting to get back into it.

I really enjoyed Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear/Raven Shield, the original Ghost Recon and am getting into GR:AW2 (GRAW won't run on my laptop or I'd play it, too). I very much enjoyed SWAT 3 and SWAT 4 (especially after the Elite Forces mod fixed the dumb shotgun mechanics). I am interested in the first Operation: Flashpoint as well as ARMA 1/2. But I find that the Flashpoint/Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon games have become faster, more arcade-y, totally focused on multi-player, and have stuff I just cannot stand in a tactical shooter (i.e. the ability to heal injured characters). As the franchises I used to rely on have either disappeared or degenerated into something else entirely I am not sure where to look.

To sum it up I'd like to know about FPS tactical titles with features like:
    1) Fairly realistic firearm mechanics and handling.*
    2) Realistic movement for characters
    3) Slow-and-steady gameplay (with the occasional violent firefight that gets out of control)
    4) No healing
    5) Decent single-player. I can handle weak-AI but it's got to at least have several maps.
    6) No gear-collecting, no magical BS never-released weapons like the G11 or OICW.

*Guns Aren't That Different from Each Other: Even to the extent to make different weapons LESS unique, for example IRL the handling characteristics between modern tactical rifles are so similar that an experienced user is not going to notice that one is significantly more accurate than the other, etc. at ranges under 100y and even when it's noticeable (i.e. an M16A4 v. an AK47) the latter is still usable and reasonably accurate. FPS games often exaggerate characteristics of guns, i.e. making AKs wildly inaccurate, or revolvers do tons of damage, basically just to encourage people to use different guns. I much prefer the Rogue Spear approach, where there are dozens of firearms but you can use most of them fine for most missions without it being a huge deal, because for a modern, high-quality firearm used in its intended role that really is the truth. AUGs and M4s don't behave exactly the same, but in the hands of a skilled user they may as well.

ArmA 3 covers most of that. The vanilla campaign does use alot of "near future" guns, but nothing too outlandish. You can also make, or download, an endless variety of end user made missions. It can be as hard-core unforgiving as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
      ArmA 3 covers most of that. The vanilla campaign does use alot of "near future" guns, but nothing too outlandish. You can also make, or download, an endless variety of end user made missions. It can be as hard-core unforgiving as you want.
      I am not sure if my laptop is capable of running ArmA 3, but it did look interesting (as did the first two).

Comment

I finally got ArmA today, and aside from some frustration with blurry sights (which I fixed by adjusting postprocessing) I am liking it. It runs very well on my laptop at maxed out settings, which is great because my laptop is not a gaming machine at all.

Comment

Nice, glad to hear it's working well. I can't say I've seen blurry sights in ArmA, but it could just be I'm so used to it I don't recall it or see it anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
            Nice, glad to hear it's working well. I can't say I've seen blurry sights in ArmA, but it could just be I'm so used to it I don't recall it or see it anymore...
            It was caused by the Depth of Field postprocessing effect, which can get pretty ridiculous when it's too high. Once I figured it out I just tuned down postprocessing. You wouldn't notice it unless you cranked postprocessing/DoF (depending on the version) all the way up, which I mistakenly did in maxing my graphics out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X