Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering military after College.

Long post, life story, bear with me.

Im looking for advice in determining if the military is right for me, or, if Im right for the military. I noticed there are quite a few TG community members who have served their country, and all of your opinions hold a lot of weight for me on a decision like this.

I feel like Im nearing a crossroad in my life, two more semesters (crosses fingers) of college, and I'm in the real world. Spring of 07' Im engaged to get married to my high school sweetheart. My life is changing, and in a sort of way I can see where Im "growing up".

Im seeking a degree in Industrial Technology, it only took me 3 years in college to figure out exactly what I want to do. I went from a Computer Science degree, to a Graphic Arts degree, and finally settled in on an Industrial Technology with a concentration in automation and control. To me, that is building gadgets, programming microcontrollers, developing mechanical systems. I grew up living on legos and computers, in retrospect the degree I am seeking fits me like a glove. What I what like to do with that degree is to design and build tools. I enjoy creating human interface equipment, I have tons of sugar plump ideas dancing through my head on how to design the next best thing. But when you get down to the nitty gritty, I really want to design weapon systems. I suppose my years of sci fi addiction and gaming have influenced me in that regard.

My fiance, who will be graduating next semester with a BS in Nursing, wants to support me through my last months in school. We have a wedding and a life to plan ahead of us, and that is something we are both eager to do. I really have no clue what will come after we get married: children, jobs, houses, money, life. Its a big transition for me.

So squeak, why are you having me read your biography?

I've always been drawn to the military. Ive always admired people in uniforms, awed at the strength of men, and romanized myself as something more then an internet jockey. By no means are these things mine, or anyone's reasons, to join the military. They just reflect the impact that the military has had on me growing up.

There are several things that Ive had to consider in my life, and the impact joining the military will have on them. First, is my physical condition. Ive worked extremely hard to transform myself into an active and strong body from an unfit jello mold. Ive successfully pushed myself to meet all the testing requirements for the military, and have only one concern. I get shin splints, and I get them bad. I can force myself to run, but the repercussions are very painful and immobolizing. This may be something, in time, I can overcome, but I have no idea how it will impact me if I want to join the military.

Another consideration is my future wife and life. This is something that Ive talked to her about, albeit rarely. I realise that in the worlds current state of affairs, I will be mobilized to boofoo and probably not see my family for 2 to 3 years. How fair will it be to my wife if I start a life with her, only to push a massive "pause" button as soon as we start. There's also the small notion of death. I feel that death and I aren't something that go together right now, and as a general rule I try not to die.

My last consideration is my conscience. Will I regret not enlisting when Im on my deathbed? Will the military help shape me into a better person? What can I do for the military that the next sob can't? If I don't give my part, will someone suffer where I could have made a difference? Will I make a difference? These are the questions that can not be answered at this time, as only time will tell. I suppose what it comes down to this: as a person, can I do more in the military to effect, then not.

If the situation was different; If I hadn't figured out what I wanted to do in college; If I wasn't getting married; If I knew for certain I had a niche to fill in the military, then I would be enlisted today. But that isnt the case.

Why do I think I got the stuff?
    I think I need the chance, to show everyone that I am a leader. I know that I will be a great leader. I just figure things out. I just know things. I see a problem and I have a solution. Its not always right, but I adapt, I grow, and I continually improve. I think Im mentally capable of handling the responsibility of saving lives, taking lives, and pushing myself to the limits. There are qualities among men, great men, great leaders, that make them who they are. I feel I have them in me, and I believe the military may help bring them out of me.

So, after you've read this novel :)... what leg am I standing on here? Guidance is key, Im not making this decision tomorrow and Im not making it lightly, but I truly value the opinions of those who wish to and have experienced the military.

-squeak
    USAR

Re: Considering military after College.

Don't really know what to say except I'm in a similar situation.

I'm not getting married, but along those lines, the biggest deal with me is the time required.

I've been doing the 'work' thing for almost a year, been through 4 "Carrer beginning jobs" and Not really accomplishing anything. Now my current employer is in Bankruptcy and come April 1st, I lose 10% of my income, and some benefits. Meaning I'm back where I was an entire job ago. It's getting boring.

I'm not working for money neccessarily, more for the feeling of succeeding. Which I've yet to get any of that specific feeling. Might think I'm being impatient, but I'm not even getting a hint that in the long run this stuff will pay off.

Another Issue I'm having is, if I do decide to, which branch of the Service would be best for me.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Squeak,

I chose at the last minute to go into the military because I knew my wife would not have been able to handle the lifestyle. Can yours? It was difficult enough for her (and is) with my current job. You'd go in as an officer at least. I would first sit down with your fiance and talk to her. And I mean TALK. Because she would be marrrying the military too.

Vin,
      The branch of service you choose depends on what you want to accomplish and do.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
        I chose at the last minute to [not] go into the military
        typo?
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yep....typo.
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Hey Squeak,

I read your post and figured that I would give you some advice from someone who has been there.

I joined the Marine Corps. after 2 years of College and was seriously involved with a LOOONG-TIME girlfriend.

We, too, had talked about it ... "albeit rarely" and everytime I did bring it up there were some tears .... but mostly she would change the subject.

Now, I can not say if the following will happen to you but, like I said, I can only give you my experience.

First off .... If you get SHIN SPLINTS, you are going to have trouble.

Military BOOT CAMP ( especially Marine Corps ) = RUN A LOT!!!!!
            You run everywhere.
            Wake up ... Run ... Come back and shower and run to breakfast.... run back to the barracks..... PT ... ( excersise ) ..... shower ... run to lunch ... run here.. run there ... ( you get my drift ? )

If this is something you can not over come ... then you will not be able to continue and your dilemma will be solved REAL QUICK.

Secondly .... Wether you feel you relationship with your Fiance is "ROCK SOLID" or not .... being in the Military is a BIG strain on relationships.

I've seen it happen many times while serving in the military ...
            I got engaged to my LONG-TIME girlfriend while home on leave and was shipping out to the Mediterranian Sea for 6 months Duty.
            She said yes, and everythign was great.
            I would call her from overseas and I could tell things weren't good.
            Well, when I got back home from my 6 month deployment, she met me when my ship landed and that night she broke it off with me .
            She said she couldn't wait any longer ....I had a little more than a year left and then I was getting out.
            5 months later, I was deployed to Kuwait during Desert Storm ( Aug-'90 to March '91 )

So, make sure you have a FULL UNDERSTANDING of what is going to happen here.
            Deployments, Duty Station Assignments.
            Unless she is MARRIED to you, they won't pay for her to live with you.

As fas as " AM I GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE "

Yes, EVERYONE makes a difference.
            As long as you work hard at what you do and keep your nose clean, you make a difference.

I hope I answered some of your questions and please feel free to e-mail or PM me if you have any other questions, I would be most willing to talk.

Also, once again, I am not saying that this WILL happen to you but, just things that I experienced while in the militarty.

Good Luck in whatevr you decide !!!!!
            |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
            [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I'm trying to formulate a game plan before I press my fiance with this (always easier for her to accept things if they cause me to be less dead). She has a sister who joined the airforce guard, so this idea isnt foreign to her. She (fiance, not her sister ;) )is more important to me then enlisting, so if we can't talk through it, it aint happenin. Gixxer, those are definitely some strong feelings, and I hope I won't end up experiencing that if I enlist.

What I would like to do, although I do not know how possible it would be, is to join an ROTC program and enter graduate school. I know that starting off this late in ROTC would mean that I'd have two option: 1. Crash course over a summer where Id be whipped into shape at an officer boot camp. 2. I should go through boot camp and job training first, then resign under the ROTC at the school.

I really would like to be involved in some sort of R&D, games and theory, something like that. Could I handle a grunt position? Sure. Would I be better suited for something where I can use all my talents, you betcha.
              USAR

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                Don't really know what to say except I'm in a similar situation.

I'm not getting married, but along those lines, the biggest deal with me is the time required.

I've been doing the 'work' thing for almost a year, been through 4 "Carrer beginning jobs" and Not really accomplishing anything. Now my current employer is in Bankruptcy and come April 1st, I lose 10% of my income, and some benefits. Meaning I'm back where I was an entire job ago. It's getting boring.

I'm not working for money neccessarily, more for the feeling of succeeding. Which I've yet to get any of that specific feeling. Might think I'm being impatient, but I'm not even getting a hint that in the long run this stuff will pay off.

Another Issue I'm having is, if I do decide to, which branch of the Service would be best for me.

Vin,
                In your case, being you do not have any ties at home. ( ie: girlfriend, SUPER career job ) and you feel things are "HO HUM" then you " might " consider the military.

I NEVER regretted joining the Marine Corps.
                I made some TRUE friends, saw some AWESOME places taht I would have NEVER seen if I hadn't joined, got the BEST training around, and did make me a better person ( not that i needed any help .. LOL )

But you need to understand "WHY" you are joining the Military and that is to "DEFEND THE FREEDOM OF THE UNITED STATES "!!! PERIOD !!!!

Yes, you are offered an education but do not lose sight on your primary role and that is SOLDIER, SAILOR or MARINE.

As far as which branch ... that is up to you ....

Here is the order of difficulty First being the most difficult:

Marine Corps
                Army
                Navy
                Air Force - ( Like being a civilian with a uniform - Very relaxed )
                Coast Guard

This is not saying you CAN NOT make any of the above .... but the training regiment is more difficult and the attention to detail is much more ENHANCED from the top down ...

I hope I brought some insight on your question as well ...
                Geeze, I can go on forever talking about the pros and cons ....

In the end, I felt good about joining and the time I had ... I wished I would have stayed in for my 20 years ... I would have had 3 years left ... :(

Feel free to e-mail or PM as well ....
                |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  typo?
                  Ha! It totally makes sense both ways from a married man's perspective. :p
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                    But you need to understand "WHY" you are joining the Military and that is to "DEFEND THE FREEDOM OF THE UNITED STATES "!!! PERIOD !!!!
                    ... AND CANADA! :D

Happily sharing a very long border with our strong friends to the south. Well at least until they decide they need more natural resources.

Comment

lol @ icky

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

:icon_lol:

Yea .. I spent many a night in Windsor Ontario .... I rather not say why though .. ;)
                        |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                          :icon_lol:

Yea .. I spent many a night in Windsor Ontario .... I rather not say why though .. ;)
                          Wait wait lemme guess! Better food than in Detroit?

Comment

Squeak, although I haven't even barely stepped through the doors to my high school, remember this is your decision and you should do what would make you happy at the end. Yes, there are good points about the military, but will you enjoy it if you are getting shin splints when you run? This is about YOU and if you choose, your country. Being in the military, you can say you have done your duty to your country by protecting it, and that would make you feel good. Will it feel good if you die or get hurt during the military? Mabey if you only get injured, but it will not do you squat if you die. Only a small precentage of people die in the military, but that's the same with sicknesses.

With your soon to be wife, if you 2 are committed to eachother, the military can be a very hard seperation between you two. Although I haven't had experience of my own with relationships, my parents recently had a divorce that hurt my mom, and getting in the miliary I can say that is sortof like a divorce for a bit, from my perspective. Being close to both parents, only being able to see one at one time and another at the second time has been hard. I'm guessing that you will not be in constant video chat with your wife, so that might be hard to split apart.

If you are strong, then you two will get over the seperation and will still love eachother. As such a great and caring community, we are behind you in whatever decision you make and will support you in any way we can. I've been rambling on, and some thoughts might not be clear or make sence, but they came streaming out of my head as I read squeak's post and I had to get them out.

Comment

Shin Splints suck like hell. For me they go away after a couple months. But heres something that can significantly help them: before and after a run, set your leg up horizontal on a bench or something, and throw a towel around the soul of your foot like your foot is straddling it, and hold both ends. Pull the towel towards you and push a little with you foot for a while at a time, several times. That'll help strengthen your tendons and stuff.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X