No announcement yet.

My Grandfather has passed away...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandfather has passed away...

Noramlly I wouldn't post this on a forum, but I know some of you have served in the millitary and are still serving and might appreciate this. Other might just appreciate the passing of someone who served our country.

A little bio on my grandfather:

Immigrated from Hungary at 16 and joined the Navy in 1938, retired in 1960 plus another 20 years Government Service, Senior Chief Petty Officer which in Army terms is Master Sergeant. He prolly should have been wayyyy higher in rank but spent to much time in the Brigg LOL!!!

Navy Unit Commendation Medal
    China Service 1939 Medal
    Good Conduct Medal (no idea how he got this lolol!)
    Asiatic Pacific Medal - 9 bronze stars
    Navy Occupation Service Medal
    Philipine Liberation Medal - 2 Bronze Stars
    National Defense Service Medal
    American Campaign Medal
    American Defense Medal
    Victory Medal WWII
    11 Battle Stars

There is prolly more cuz his uniform looks like a heavily decorated christmas tree but my Mom is still compiling the info on him.

1st Battle of Philipine Sea and Indochina
    New Ginuea
    Battle of Formosa
    Battle for Leyte Gulf
    South China Sea and Indochina
    Iwo Jima
    Shanghai/Nam King (occupational only)

Basically the guy was in every major Sea Battle in the South Pacific and Asia. I was reading a bunch of old Newspaper articles in the Boston Globe about all the ships he was on that got bombed by the Japanese. Imagine being on a ship getting bombed? Not me!

He also has a whole shoebox full of pictures he took at Nam King (you all can imagine what those must be like) and Japanese rifles an such. Also his father's discharge papers from the Hungarian (Magyar) Army, very cool looking documents. Pretty interesting.

Well anyways, Salute to you Buppa (Magyar nick for Grandfather), hope all is well where ever you find yourself!

Turning into swiss cheese, one bullet at a time.

Re: My Grandfather has passed away...

sorry your familys sure he had some great stories to share....
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.

Originally posted by March4Revenge
      Battle for Leyte Gulf

My thanks for your Buppa's service. Thanks for sharing.

Here's to your fond memories.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Sorry for your loss. My family and I will keep you in our prayers.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

I am very sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to your family. It looks as though your Grandfather served the country well, you should be quite proud.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

I'm sorry for your loss, and sounds like he had quite a life. Thank you for sharing, I feel great respect for a man with a life such as his.

Sorry for your loss, it sounds as though he had a very long and full life. He served his country well, you should be very pround.
              War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Condolences to you and your family.

That will be an interesting exploration for you and you family.. amazing how much you learn about some after they are gone.. always makes you wish you’d asked one more question about them..

My grandfather was a mayor and circuit court judge back when Florida was a mosquito haven sandbar.. there are stories about him all over SE Florida and they've names sections of some towns after him. My best friends' dad remembered him as a judge 40 years ago - he was a probation officer in Okeechobee.. Judge Sample was on the circuit bench there..

To me he was just a friend that liked to do model railroading things with me.

Sometimes, You just never know the legacy of those around you

Thanks guys and much appreciated!

I just found out today he died standing up in the kitchen! Weird huh?!

Turning into swiss cheese, one bullet at a time.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed