Next Gen Consoles or PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen Consoles or PC?

Having played my friends' recently bought xbox 360 for a couple days recently, i'm coming to the conclusion that PC gaming, while certainly not dead (or dying), might not be the thing for me anymore.

Started to play through Call of Duty 2 on his 360 and came away impressed. I've never played call of duty 1, so it was fun to play a well polished, cinematic, ww2 shooter.

First thing I noticed is that the game was not difficult to play using the controller. It is definitely no keyboard/mouse when it comes to precision, but the game was very well designed with the right sensitivies and I had no trouble accurately throwing smoke grenades, crouching, and aiming. We then got into some perfect dark zero, and I came away impressed with the depth of the multiplayer component of that game. They now have CTF, king of the hill, voice with mic's (using Live, of course). There is definitely the opportunity for tactical-ness as these games garner more and more of the features we usually acquaint with PC titles.

What really annoyed me though, is that I recently spent some $200 on a mainstream vid card to be able to play BF2 smoother and nicer looking. Well I decide to download the Call of Duty 2 demo and it ran worse, and looked slightly worse, than the xbox 360 version. Basically, I started thinking about the overall cost of ownership and the 360 blows any PC setup out of the water.

Lets look at some of the bigger issues and "life" in general, specifically, time and money. PC games will always, no doubt, be geared towards older gamers that want a deeper gaming experience. You couldn't have BF2 on the 360, not enough buttons, no way. However, being a single, male 24 year old with a burgeoning IT career and still searching for the right girl - do I really want to be a "hardcore" gamer?

Now that I have a full time job and have lots of real world responsibilities that demand time, I don't think I want to spend the majority of my remaining free time playing these incredibly complex and deep games that are only available on PC. Gamers don't realize that while they get so 'in' to these awesome PC games, it actually becomes more of a reality to them than the actualy reality around them. You WoW guys know what I'm talking about, you want to play all the time. While your at work your waiting to get home to get back into your WoW character, you eat fast, you don't watch TV anymore, etc...

Hardcore gamers are stereotyped as out of shape, pasty white nerds, and rightly so. It is sort of a 'lifestyle'. Playing so much BF2, I've noticed my health deteriorating slowly. I don't like that.

Anyway, lets get back on topic - So the 360 games look better than anything else right now. The power of the consoles is to the point where games are getting closer to PC games in complexity and depth. Finally, Microsoft's successful Live service has created a multiplayer component that is equal to PC's, and now EVERYONE has a mic. Ease of use wins hands down - more time playing, less time worrying about direct x, drivers, frame rates, bad installs, faulty buggy software, failing PC components... the list goes on. It's more social, your friends can come over and you all can play and have a great time in the same room. All this without having to drag PC components around or dealing with the complexities of a LAN party.

Let's look at financial stuff. Ok, so I don't have an HDTV at the moment, so I played the 360 games in plain ol 480. Well, seeing as how I was sitting 10 ft away from the tv, as opposed to being right up on my computer monitor, I'd still say the overall graphical experience was better. Maybe it was the butter smooth frame rates. Well I can pickup this powerful piece of hardware for $400. To stay on top of PC games - you probably have to shell out something like a grand a year, on average. You can argue that a PC is a better investment because it does so many other things. Yea, but unless I'm worried about playing 3d games, for all other uses of my PC it will be perfectly fine without spending a dime for years to come. Also, eventually I can buy myself a nice HDTV which will make all my games look better and, obviously, be able to watch TV on a high definition display.

In conclusion, I'm not arguing against the fact that PC's will always probably have a slightly better overall game experience. They will also be able to play games that consoles just can't (MMORPG's, RTS, etc). But I really don't play these games that much, as I don't like losing entire evenings, or entire weekends - to a video game. I'm thinking that overall ease of use, removal of frustration, increased console power, increased social experience, improved multiplayer abilities, and cheaper total cost of gaming are pushing me to become a console gamer. I could probably use the saved cash to improve my wardrobe and focus on getting a girlfriend or something... lol who knows.

What say you?

Re: Next Gen Consoles or PC?

Game consoles are just downsized PC's. Can you search forums using your X360? Can you type up documents on it? You will always need to have a PC in your life, so you mine as well have one that can play games. And until they drop below the price of the newest graphic's card, i won't be getting one, even though i have an HDTV.

Comment

one thing that programmers have to their advantage when making console games is they only need to program for one platform..PC games you need to be able to make a game that will run with all sorts of configs. PC gameing will never be dead, and as far as im concerd never be beaten by console games or consoles.
      if a PC is out dated you can buy new parts...if a console is out dated you have to by a completly new one....im just not good enough to use the controllers when it comes to consoles...i like the mouse and keyboard feel...

good post
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
        Game consoles are just downsized PC's. Can you search forums using your X360? Can you type up documents on it? You will always need to have a PC in your life, so you mine as well have one that can play games. And until they drop below the price of the newest graphic's card, i won't be getting one, even though i have an HDTV.
        I thought this argument was covered in my post? Of course I will always need a PC in my life. But there are PC's, and there are GAMING PC's. The latter costs a helluva lot more.

And i'm not sure what you mean by your last statement. For $400 I get an entire gaming system that has a better video card than a $650 512mb 7800.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          one thing that programmers have to their advantage when making console games is they only need to program for one platform..PC games you need to be able to make a game that will run with all sorts of configs. PC gameing will never be dead, and as far as im concerd never be beaten by console games or consoles.
          if a PC is out dated you can buy new parts...if a console is out dated you have to by a completly new one....im just not good enough to use the controllers when it comes to consoles...i like the mouse and keyboard feel...

good post
          Yea, but the consoles cost less than a couple PC upgrades! As a side note, the PS3 will allow mouse/keyboard setups.

Comment

Ok heres what i though.

I camped out at walmart for 11 hours to buy mine. I bought it, along wiht 3 extra controllers and 4 games. For a grand total of about $820. I then played it, but it was just the same as xbox1. No difference, except for the wireless controllers, and sort of better graphics. I played Perfect dark, madden, call of duty 2, and need for speed. I didnt like it, well i sort of did, but i saw how much they were going for on ebay. So i figured it wasnt worth 800 dollars to me. So then i sold it on ebay for $1525. I still have yet to decide if i want another one. My take on it was, if u have the first xbox, there is no difference. But if you dont, and money is not important, then buy it. Its a lot of money for a console that just isnt spectacular.

Comment

Good post. And I have to say it pretty much sums up how I feel about PCs and consoles. This summer I built my own pc and still have my PS2 and Xbox and still buy games for them. I think there is still a difference in the way the two platforms work and who they cater to as you mentioned. Consoles are definitely a bit more social. Some of the best nights in college were spent drinking and playing with the guys instead of studying. I could also never imagine playing sports games on a PC. But what PCs have is the online play, the number of slots available on the server really makes a difference. And there is also the whole world of modding that extends the life of the games on PC. On the console you get what you pay for. It is certainly going to be interesting to see how this goes. I think if PC's really begin to get challenged then the prices of the components will probably go down, though it is said that XBOX is taken a big hit in the red with their pricing of 360.

Comment

If anything I say wait before getting one of the new consoles. Developers havent had that much time with the hardware and a lot of the games on 360 are mainly ports from the xbox so the differences really are not there yet.

Comment

I game on an $500 emachines with a $200 Nvidia card.

With that, I get great graphics, 160gb of space, decent performance, and the ability to do whatever I want with the box (put on linux, use it as a media center, whatever).

Can you say the same for a console?

Sure, I don't get top of the line performance, but at some point we all meet our cost v. benefit tipping point. My threshold is pretty low: does the game run, and is it playable? If so, its good enough.

I'd rather play Operation Flashpoint with the stock graphics, than any gussied up tart of an XBOX game. Give me a game with depth and something that will run it.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                    I game on an $500 emachines with a $200 Nvidia card.

With that, I get great graphics, 160gb of space, decent performance, and the ability to do whatever I want with the box (put on linux, use it as a media center, whatever).

Can you say the same for a console?

Sure, I don't get top of the line performance, but at some point we all meet our cost v. benefit tipping point. My threshold is pretty low: does the game run, and is it playable? If so, its good enough.

I'd rather play Operation Flashpoint with the stock graphics, than any gussied up tart of an XBOX game. Give me a game with depth and something that will run it.
                    This is an interesting point. When I said a grand a year I was guessing that most people would want their current rig to be able to play the most graphically advanced game of the time in at least medium settings. I think though, to get games even playable, you'd have to spend approximately $300 a year, again, on average.

And yes - like you said you get the added benefits of a "PC". But just becaues I stopped gaming on my PC doesn't mean I can't do all the other things you said with it. I mean, its a P4 2.8 1 gig ram 6800 rig, If I stop upgrading it now I'll still be able to internets, media center, word process to my hearts content for at least several more years. Then, when I finally did have to get a new PC, I would only have to spend $500 for that emachine instead of building a new rig for $1000+.

I think the factor that is being left out is the idea that I actually don't want the best possible gaming experience. I want something that is easy, friendly, but that doesn't get me so hooked I let it become a dominant use of my time. The idea is that the new consoles are getting closer to that best possible gaming experience, but the price savings between that, and awesome PC gaming are huge. I like video games and want to continue to play them, but the difference between a good gaming experience (console) vs premium (PC) is so high, financially and time wise, that I don't think its worth it for me anymore. I'd rather get a new dominant hobby while gaming as a fun way to relax.

Comment

I think your already doing all that. Stopping by to play a round of BF2 with us, is hardly any time at all. Of course its awfully hard to put away the mouse and do other stuff.

Comment

I use my console for sports. My PC for everything else. PC gamin definitely can be more time consuming. But sometimes it is more rewarding w/ depth. 360 had no must buy title for me thats probably the only reason i dont own one. Next gen can also be very frustrating to play at the start. The first gen software is usually pretty weak in everything but graphics -- So many standard features from previous gen are often left out only to be re-introduced as new. Its like a never endin circle. By the time a series gets polished and revolutionary it all is ripped down and you start from scratch.
                        Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

My absolute BIGGEST gripe is I can't STAND the controllers of consoles. I'd HAVE to hook up a usb mouse/keyboard, and then I'd be back to having basicly a computer that can't do anything but play games. I do like the steering wheel/GT4 combo Samurai has though...

Other than that, I agree with you that as an easy entertainment, it would be nice.

Comment

Console gaming can spread its cheeks and wait for my boot.

I don't play games for top of the line graphics. That's not what gives me enjoyment. That is an added benefit. Along with what Mateo said, my computer was made to run games, not run a game at the very best it can be. For $120 I have a p4 2.8 ghz, 500mb ram, 256mb video card, and 80gb of harddrive space. I spent $10 for StarCraft w/ expansion, $40 for WarCraft 3 w/ expansion, and $50 for Half-Life 2 with Counter-Strike Source (my current online game for the past year). Three games, for at least six years of entertainment. I've got my monies worth.

I'm a proud co-admin of a MUD (online text-based RPG) and can run that off any PC. Limitless hours in gaming. I've easily spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours via it.

And you make it out like depth and complexity in a game is a bad thing. That's WHY I buy a game. If the story sucks, most likely I'm not going to enjoy it. I'm an RPG-man through-and-through, and an advent follower of the FF series. That is the only reason I plan to buy a next-gen console (PS3) - so that I might continue to purchase and play the Final Fantasy saga.

Next - I had a LAN party last weekend and it kicked friggen ass. About 5-10 minutes to hook up each machine, and we were running. We invaded TG servers, played our own games, and had an overall blast.

My biggest beef with consoles is repeativity (is that a word?). You play HALO, you play HALO, and you play HALO... and it's the same. You play it online and it's the same thing. It gets so damn repetitive it becomes so very dull. That's probably just the RPG part of me shining through, but still. The most variety a console game offers is online/multi-person play, and even that becomes a repeat. The normal multiplayer function (multiple people on the same console) is a swift path to boring monotony. I used to be an avid console fan. I know this.

On a PC you can make you own game. You can write your own game. You can download an infinite amount of games, download modifications/skins to your existing games...you can surf the net, download pron (rofl. jk, but millions do :p ), play Yahoo pool with your bud during lunch breaks, write, type, draw, etc etc etc etc. You name it, a computer can pretty much do it. (Alas, it still can't feed me).

It basically comes down to this.

Do you want your games of top visual quality and capability?
                            Are you willing to buy a large repertoire of games? (all console gamers have tons)

'nough said for now. I might be back for a third bite soon.

ps. It always amuses me when responses to things are either nearly as long, or longer, than the originial article. Rofl.

Comment

my first videogame experience is with consoles...... so i have respect for them they bring gaming to the masses. With that being siad i perfer playing FPS on a PC. There will always be a PC gaming community but consoles are getting more powerful and developers are saying that they havnt even pushed 50% of the 360s power. Some games are better played on consoles ie sports , childrens games and the PC,FPS and RTS .It all depends on wat games u play.I dont see why some people are so one sided both have advantages. Oh yea Xbox 360 is get BF 2 too and it looks awsome.

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                              Delta MICS
                              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse