Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "we don't play games for social interaction..."

Microsoft Places Big Bet On Multiplayer Gaming
    Added Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities: "At the end of the day, we don't play games for social interaction We play games to escape." Microsoft's strategy is "absolutely flawed," he said.
    Since when are "escaping" and "social interaction" mutually exclusive? Can't online gaming offer both?

I have a gajillion things I can do in my house if I want to "escape." I could read a book, play with the cats, take a nap on the hammock, etc, etc. Or, I could play a game online.

But only in online gaming can I meet the people I've met here and feel as challenged as I do by the creativity and innovation you guys bring to the gameplay.... nevermind the fellowship that occurs on and off the servers.
    Yes, I would play TG titles alone (as much) if "online" didn't exist.
    18.00%
    No, I would not play TG titles alone (as much) if "online" didn't exist.
    82.00%
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: "we don't play games for social interaction..."

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
    Microsoft Places Big Bet On Multiplayer Gaming

I have a gajillion things I can do in my house if I want to "escape." I could read a book, play with the cats, take a nap on the hammock, etc, etc. Or, I could play a game online.
    I agree w/ you... but just to play devil's advocate for a sec: You have a gajillion things you can do out of your house if you to be "social." You could go out to eat, play basketball, take a nap with a veluptuous woman, etc, etc. Or, you could play a game online.
    Josh -
    Some men will always be animals, while others ... they will be Men.

Comment

Ah, but, to do those things, I must manage schedules, expenses, ovulation, weather, and who knows what other headaches which aren't associated with online gaming. :)
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Ah, but, to do those things, I must manage schedules, expenses, ovulation, weather, and who knows what other headaches which aren't associated with online gaming. :)
        Rofl.

I used to spend most of my spare time reading, or writing. I now split it between gaming. The TG games I play not as much to escape (I have plenty of offline games, tons of books I need to read, etc), but to enjoy the company of similar fellow gamers and to share a cooperative and social experience.

As you may have seen in some of my other posts, I'm a big Role-Player. There are two reasons for this. One, it allows me to expand and use my imagination and creativity to stretches not typically otherwise avaliable. Second, the interaction with people via the capacity of the imagination. Many people I roleplay with, I become close friends with. And from there, roleplay becomes more comfortable and usually more often, so the pleasure only increases.

I game for the company. If the social aspect wasn't there, I'd be reading this huge thousand-page book I have sitting on my desk. Then the other fifty or so I have waiting on my bookshelf.

Comment

ovulation

LMAO!
          Josh -

Comment

Originally posted by poe
            it allows me to expand and use my imagination and creativity to stretches not typically otherwise avaliable. Second, the interaction with people via the capacity of the imagination.

Who would have thought a man who gains esteem through the use of words like "Poenage" could write something like THAT.

Poe, the closet intellectual.
            Josh -

Comment

Originally posted by JoshZeitlin
              Who would have thought a man who gains esteem through the use of words like "Poenage" could write something like THAT.

Poe, the closet intellectual.
              its poewnage u friggen n00b u dun no nething u ned to lern liek gramer n speling

Comment

If TG were not around, I would not be playing ANY online games, period.

So, it's not so black and white.. If you just consider the average online experience, I could see why people would think that on-line gaming is a bad choice.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I wouldnt play TG titles at all if it wasnt online. That said I would probably play computer games in general an equal amount if it want for online play.
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Ovulation
                    q4mft

Comment

I play online shooters because TG makes'em fun.
                      ive all but given up on gaming without human opponents, its not like im very good, i just like the bigger challange.

Screw public servers!

Sarcoma
                      Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                        its poewnage u friggen n00b u dun no nething u ned to lern liek gramer n speling
                        Oh Jesus my eyes are melting :row__522:

---

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
                          Oh Jesus my eyes are melting :row__522:
                          Didn't RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK teach you anything? If you close your eyes and don't stare directly at the Ark of the Covenant, your eyes won't melt.

If you do the math, poor spelling is on equal footing with the Ark. So just look away, you'll hear the wind blow past your ears and your hair might get ruffled a little bit, but your eyes will manage to remain intact. That's what I do when I see a post that makes me shudder.

And here is your ROTLA quote o' the day:

Sallah: "Asps...very dangerous. You go first."
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------

IN RESPONSE TO THE ACTUAL THREAD TOPIC:

I think the guy who said Microsoft is misguided by betting on online gameplay for the future...well, that fellow is absolutely wrong. I remember being 16 and playing MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH OUT and thinking how cool it would be to fight another person and not just fight a program. Well, we can certainly game with real people now, though we can't invite friends over to sit in front of a console every time the mood hits us. Luckily, with online gaming, there's SOMEONE SOMEWHERE willing to play whenever we're available. I also think the majority of people are competitive by nature, and it's thrilling to know you just outgunned someone in a firefight, and it bruises your pride equally when your enemy bests you when you're one on one. But that's what TG excels at...if you're having a good night here it's rarely one on one; it's more often 32 vs. 32 or at the very least 6 vs. 32 if you're in a decent squad. AI can't give you that, and it'll be a while before AI can give you genuinely unpredictable and competetive gameplay; though will it ever give you the same satisfaction you get from a well played round against other people?? Not to mention what having a headset and mic bring to gaming...to hear someone giggle or sigh or moan or and say something pithy or comical...that alone adds about 30% to the enjoyment factor of a game for me personally...how soon is it going to take before AI can give a witty remark to something that's just been uttered? And when that day comes...ca...can it be a female voice? Something sultry, perhaps?? N...no reason... *cough*

Comment

*giggle* I will die the day I can no longer suprise someone with my female voice cutting through the bullet rounds and explosions. That's my 30% right there. So will AI take over my niche in BF2? Not if I have anything to do with it!

(Which, yes, for the record, I know I don't... but humor me, okay?) :p
                            I heart TG.
                            xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

I also think the majority of people are competitive by nature, and it's thrilling to know you just outgunned someone in a firefight, and it bruises your pride equally when your enemy bests you when you're one on one.
                              Now I know why I always have all these aches and pains after I play BF2 on TG..........I get bruised a lot..:icon_lol:
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X