• My credit card was stolen..

the theives maxed out my card in charges. Included are:
    $3,000 Home Theatre system
    $50 restaurant dinner
    $15 Mcdonalds dinner
    Parking
    A movie
    and fifty bucks sepnt at a mall.

All in all, about $3100-$3200 was spent. Buncha jerks. Luckily, the securities department marked the transactions as fraudulent, and a new card is in the works.

I didn't do anything that I would consider unsafe, but apparently this is not enough. What ideas does anyone here have for protecting your finances and identity these days?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: My credit card was stolen..

sounds like a bunch of trailer trash thefts...man i hope they dint screw up your credit cuase that can be a beast to fix
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Dunno much about the credit rating system in Canada (do they use the same evil 3 companies as in the US?), but there are identity protection systems that each of the three companies offer. Maybe not the silly systems they offer for sale, but free stuff like a block on not issuing credit until they call you to verify, etc. Dealing with anything credit related after the fact is a royal PITA.

Seems silly to pay with a stolen credit card at a parking garage - those places always have security cameras and they'll know the exact time that the person left.. Sheesh. I'll go with it being a common thief that did the damage, and not someone that was actually out to steal your identity (you wouldn't find out about that until well after the fact...).
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

That sucks dude. I hope they catch the people.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Yeah, but stolen cards are so common and the credit card companies never push the issue. They just cancel the card and move on. As such no one really tries to catch them.

Dice, did they steal your card or your number? You say you didn't do anything different so that made me wonder.

BTW, I finally found Yellowknife on Google Earth but they were all low resolution pics. So I guess you do exist :p
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
            BTW, I finally found Yellowknife on Google Earth but they were all low resolution pics. So I guess you do exist :p
            The gubment doesn't want people to see all the top secret research that goes on there... like coming up with the next poutine flavor or the moose infantry training that the Canadian Army (all 3 of em!) is doing :icon_lol:
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Being largely in the security and auditing industry for credit card processors, I would have to say:

ONLY use your credit card on SSL based sites.

ALWAYS make sure the SSL certs are signed by Verisign or Thawte and valid. Just because it says a certificate expired, don't just assume that's legit! If it's expired, don't use it.

ALWAYS cross-cut shred or burn your old bills, pay stubs, etc. Don't throw them away whole. This includes credit card offers and any document that contains your social security number.

NEVER allow anyone to take your card "around the corner" to run the transaction. It should never leave your eyesight. Don't allow imprints of your card to be made with old-style paper transactions and a slammer.

If you stay in a hotel that uses digital keys, DO NOT leave the key in the room when you leave. Hell. Don't even give it back to them. Reading tracks 2 and 3 of hotel keys shows personally identifyable information and in some cases, the last 4 digits of your credit card number and drivers license number.

Never use an ATM in a strangely placed location. Preferably only use FDIC Insured institutional ATM machines. Smaller machines are more easily compromised for things far valuable than the cash in the machine itself. Your card numbers and PINs.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                NEVER allow anyone to take your card "around the corner" to run the transaction. It should never leave your eyesight. Don't allow imprints of your card to be made with old-style paper transactions and a slammer.

If you stay in a hotel that uses digital keys, DO NOT leave the key in the room when you leave. Hell. Don't even give it back to them. Reading tracks 2 and 3 of hotel keys shows personally identifyable information and in some cases, the last 4 digits of your credit card number and drivers license number.

i had walmart do the whole paper slammer deal the other day.....

and i knew i always kept the hotel cards for a reason.....well and the fact that im to lazy to do it.....

good info apo.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

That hotel info is new to me. Thanks for the tip.
                  "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                  [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Ha! I just got another call from the securities dept. It turns out that my card wasn't stolen; there were just suspicious transactions because I'm on vacation. That TV and other stuff was from a different file; the securities guy just had too many windows at once. :row__687:

Thought you'd all be interested.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                      sounds like a bunch of trailer trash thefts...
                      Yeah, I thought so too. That's why I initially suspected that you were behind it all...:D

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        i had walmart do the whole paper slammer deal the other day.....

and i knew i always kept the hotel cards for a reason.....well and the fact that im to lazy to do it.....

good info apo.
                        I won't ever allow people to make imprints of my cards any more. I really dislike using credit cards when out at restaurants too as they take the card away from you to ring it up.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                          Yeah, I thought so too. That's why I initially suspected that you were behind it all...:D
                          Nice....

Man, how can you spend 15 bucks at mcdonalds, sheesh.

Comment

Those are Canadian dollars. That said, we're not far off the US dollar these days. Maybe he was taking his dog out for a fancy dinner. :D

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I'm glad to hear it was all a mix-up; it kinda like restored my faith in humanity. I had my Dillard's card racked up on awhile back for about $400 bucks, but in the end it really worked out for me because they wiped the entire card, $650, clean instead of just the fradulent charges. Guess that's the *payment* I get for running around with them on the phone for six months! hehe
                              I heart TG.
                              xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X