New MMORPG about PIRATES!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MMORPG about PIRATES!

Not out yet and no idea if it will ever actually see the light of day but...

This looks like the online game I have been waiting for. Especially me being a pirate fan. It will be distributed and updated via steam.

It is a game based in the 18th century in the Caribbean. You can play Pirate, Naval Officer or Adventurer(basically a merchant with a ship.) The focus is on ship to ship Naval battles keeping close to historical accuracy.

I have read up on it and I really like the design goals. It seems they are trying to recreate the 'fun' aspects of that time period and avoid the typical grinding seen in many MMORPGs out today.

This is a qoute from a FAQ from a designer.

"...In WOW, with the same gear and skills, a level 39 will whup a level 30. But it isn't a one-shot thing. And several 30s can gang up on a 39. That's more like what we want for the ENTIRE GAME. So, there won't be the kind of disparity you see in fantasy MMORPGs where an infinite number of level 1 noobs could attack a level 50 and the level 50 could be AFK and survive forever.

Plus, the biggest ship is kind of like, say, the top-level tank or melee class. They can take on other ships toe-to-toe and often win. But for a given mission, or even a given part of PVP, you may be better off in the top scout ship. Or a fast hunter ship. And if you're fighting near shallows or in light wind, a huge ship of the line might find itself grounded and pounded. It doesn't take a long grounding for raking fire, even from a smaller ship. to decimate your crew.

Will we go to great lenghts to balance a scout ship vs. a battle ship in a 1-on-1 open seas PVP? Probably not as much. But that's a dumb fight to have for the scout. A scout should not plan to fight a battleship unless you get caught with your back to a lee shore and have to wiggle free like Cochrane and the HMS Speedy. (for the record, twice Cochrane went up against 3 battleships in a smaller ship, and once he got away. The other time, he got pwnd, despite trying to get away. Even skill only gets you so far against bad odds)

And, you won't be resitricted to just one ship. So even if you have a complex about 1-on-1 PVP, you don't need to sail a battleship in every fight. Just earn one and keep it for sinking that loudmouth , or better yet for fighting in that role when your nation needs you.

Forget the uberness of other games at the high levels. Playtime in POTBS gets you better stuff and more skills, but not an "I WIN N00B" button. You'll still need to fight skillfully, and a skillful casual player will have a real impact in PVP."

(Bolding mine.)

I have played EVE online for about 9 days now and I just don't feel like I have any control over anything. I tell my ship to go there and it goes but I don't move it. The game feels like it could be played on a spread sheet. I do like it but can't justify the cost and time. I am hoping that Pirates of the Burning Sea will take some of the good things in EVE but give that sense of control you get in something like a FPS.

If you are interested I recomend the second link below. Alot more information there. The more I read about it the more

Home page
    http://www.burningsea.com/

And a good fan site.

http://www.burningseacommunity.com/

Gamespot Preview

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/pirat...33085&q=Pirate
    I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: New MMORPG about PIRATES!

In beta :)

Comment

looks cool!

Comment

I will be watching this. I am not a MMORPG fan but I could be converted for this!
        "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
        [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

you guys ever play "Sid Meiers' Pirates!"? This sounds exactly like a MP version of that game - which, incidentally, is increadibly fun - HIGHLY recommended.

Comment

Played Sid's Pirates! since C64 days. The sega version, emulations on the PC and the new one out for the PC. And I think there was a Amiga version I had, but can't remember.

I fired up a C64 emulator about a month ago just to see if memory served correctly. And it did. The load times where horrendous and the graphics laughable but the game itself was quite playable. A game that remains fun for, what, 15 years? That is amazing.

-EDIT-
            It came out in 1987. Almost 20 years ago. Boy, am I getting old.
            Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM.
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yarrrrrrrrr! Keep me posted, matey!
              |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

hide this from Bhack.
                Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

Now this is a mmorpg that Id actually be interested in.
                  USAR

Comment

I want to make my own pirate flag. "Pickle the Pirate" has a ring to it.
                    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                      I want to make my own pirate flag. "Pickle the Pirate" has a ring to it.
                      That is one of the cool things about this game, you can do exactly that. They plan on having user submitted skins for things. I think that your flag is one of the skins you can modify yourself. The others, like sails and clothing skins, have to be approved.

Comment

Isn't there usually a monthly fee associated with MMORPG's?
                        [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Yep. I doubt his one will be different. No pricing yet.

Comment

I played the Alpha build of this. It was pretty fun. I'm not in the beta though, so I'm sad. Waah.

Comment

Some updates

A preview.
                              http://potbs.coldfront.net/index.php/content/view/195/

A very detailed look at the economy.

http://www.flyinglab.com/pirates/log...log_select=378

It sounds alot like EVE's economy. The developer all but admits he used EVE's as insperation (he being an avid player).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X