Attn aussies (or any other SWAP folk)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn aussies (or any other SWAP folk)

I'm considering doing a SWAP program to Australia for a year. It's a working holiday, I get a legal work visa for a year and free to explore the country while working to pay expenses. My only belongings would be whatever i can fit in a hiking backpack.

There wasa 50/50 chance I could have grown up in Australia, but my folks chose Canada instead. So I've always been curious as to what it would be like to live there... Plus I'm kind of bored here in Ontario :P

I was curious to your opinion(s) on the cost of living, job markets, general 'state of things' i guess. Any job openings or vacant bedrooms? Etc..
    |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Re: Attn aussies (or any other SWAP folk)

Hmm, sounds pretty damn good to me. This is probably gonna turn into a disjointed rambling, but here goes:

First of all, come to Sydney. As the biggest city in Australia (with a positively massive 5 million people), Sydney tends to have the better quality of life, and offers a pretty large array of options in terms of living, housing, etc. It also acts as a hub for most of the other cities, and the more rural areas.

As you might have guessed, first stop should probably be Sydney. Hang around for a couple of weeks, get acclimatised before moving onto other stops. A fair few accomodation options are available, and since the city is too damn large (twice the size of NY) you'd probably want something inner-city. You could crash in a hostel, but I'm not too sure of prices on those (try checking here http://www.bootsnall.com/hostels/re/...y+Hostels.php). You could try and get hooked up for a pretty spacious and comfy apartment for around $100 - $120 AUD with a roommate, but prices vary.

Cost of living isn't especially high, and I'd expect it to be similar to Canada. I have no idea about the job-market, but if you tell me what sort of stuff you were looking at I can have a rummage around in the paper.

Most of the time, the place is fairly relaxed, but a couple of weeks ago we did have some riots on the southern beaches, due to racial tensions. During winter, temperatures are a chilly 17 to 20 degrees c, and in summer are mostly between 25 degrees and 45 degrees c. Beach weather ftw!

In case you want to do some net trawling to did up some more info, here's a list of notable cities, places and Sydney suburbs that might come up in your research:

Melbourne - Similar to Sydney, dreary weather, colder, less people, less scenery. I hear that there are a good number of IT jobs available, though. Then again, there is a Sydney - Melbourne rivalry that's been going down through the ages.

Canberra - Capital and hellhole. If you're especially bored, visit for a day and then get out as fast as possible. Think of a city-wide retirement village.

Brisbane - Up the coast from Sydney, a fairly metropolitan city. It's got a sparkling array of beaches and coastline, but tends to chew people up and spit them out. The job market is fairly competitive, and it's about an hour away from the tacky tourist destination known as...

Surfer's Paradise - South of Brisbane, amazing beaches, endless string of unfilled apartment blocks. After graduation from high-school, most kids come here to party their brains out. Think Spring Break, and you'll get the idea.

Byron / Ballina - Another tourist place, but this time it's not actually that bad. Generally seen as being a bit of a hippy place with good beaches.

Hobart, on the isle of Tasmania - Don't come here. When anyone on the mainland mentions Tasmania, most people start sniggering and making inbred jokes.

Adelaide - quietish sort of place, in South Australia.

Perth - In Western Australia. Expect hot and dry weather, and lots of it. I hear it's a good place though.

Darwin - Tropical. Basically, Steve Irwin gone wild. Only other thing is that it was bombed by the Japanese in WWII.

Places of Sydney

Sydney is basically divided into a couple of sections:
    The North Shore - Northern side of the Harbour Bridge. Green, leafy, strongly conservative suburbia. Low crime, and very expensive. About 30min from the CBD (central business district).

The Northern Beaches - The coastline side of the North Shore. It tends to have mostly young couples, while the North Shore gets the old greying businessmen and families. Good beaches, and not heavily populated. Renting an apartment is pretty competitive, and houses are hugely expensive. About 30 - 40min away from the CBD, depending on where you are.

The City - Does what it says on the box. Close to the nightlife (and a bit of crime), lots of accomodation available. Contains King's Cross, what was previously the red-light district. It still is to a degree, but it's being cleaned up and now there are coffee houses where there used to be adult stores. Also, close to a number of beaches, and very close to Bondi Junction, the largest mall around.

"The Shire" - Large area to the south of the CBD. Fiercely tribal and containing a couple of beaches, this is where the rioting occured. If you're not a local, you should probably stay off the beaches here, particularly Maroubra and Cronulla.

The Eastern Suburbs - Expensive, sharing some beaches like Bondi with the city. Sweeping views of the water and harbour from the most expensive areas, and there are a few cheap apartments floating around for rent.

The Western Suburbs - The west is the urban sprawl part of Sydney. It's relatively inexpensive, but there are significant crime problems and racial tensions around some of the outer suburbs.

Hope that helps, Syn. If you've got any specific questions, or just something general, give me a shout.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

awesome, good info thanks a lot. I've been doing more research too, I know a fella in Perth, someone else in Sidney. The country is probably too big to do it all in a year. My primary concern is some form of work to help ease the trip expenses.

I've heard other aussie accents on TS and BF2, surely there are more of you with input ;)
      |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
        awesome, good info thanks a lot. I've been doing more research too, I know a fella in Perth, someone else in Sidney. The country is probably too big to do it all in a year. My primary concern is some form of work to help ease the trip expenses.

I've heard other aussie accents on TS and BF2, surely there are more of you with input ;)
        In terms of work I think it really depends on what sort of stuff you want to do - casual sort of work, or a more professional job. We've got...uh...2 other Aussies here at TG, Bommando and Riddler if you wanna contact them.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
        |TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse