Book Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Recommendations?

I'm finishing up the last few books in Terry Pratchetts complete works (even the screenplays).

I'm looking for recommendataions for reading. I prefer fantasy and sci-fi for my recreational reading so I'll investigate those more than, say, something by Grisham (incidentally I've read all his good books too). Just light and fun reading.

What I don't want to get myself into is YALDOFS (yet another long and drawn out fantasy series). I'm already waiting on six books from six different series so don't suggest anything like that Chances are I'm reading it :). Well, if the author is dead and no more books are pending...

If you have read a one off novel (even if it's kidlit) and liked it, post it here so I can find something new to read.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Book Recommendations?

Phillip Pullman wrote a trillogy of kidlit fantasy far superior to the evil HP. I think it was called "his dark materials"

Steven King has written plenty of fantasy. Also see his sci fi psudonym Richard Backman
    The Stand is a one off, the Dark Tower is a 7 part series.

For cult sci fi read William Gibson. If you have played Distopia you will instantly recognise his universe.

If you haven't read the Lord of the Rings you MUST. Even better to do so before you see the films if possible.

If you have read Pratchett I am asuming you have read Douglas Adams (don't see the film).

War of the World, Day of the Triffids and the Postman are all classic post-apocalypse stuff. As usual the books are better than their films except maybe for WotW.

These are all pretty standard. I might think of something more unusual later.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Not up your stated alley, but my latest recommendation is One Bullet Away by Nate Fick. Not precisely light or fun, but a great read.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

Raymond E. Feist Rift War Saga

George R. R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Now that I named off all the series your probably reading and waiting for books...LOL!!

The Faded Sun Trilogy by C.J. Cherryh Very good book a little off of what I normaly read but very enjoyable.

Wyvern by A A Atanasio was a good read...in fact I was trying to find it again to re-read and having a hard time...

So many books so little time...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I can suggest some authors that I like...

* Robert Sawyer
          * Cory Doctorow
          * Neal Stephenson
          * Neil Gaiman

Don't forget to consider some of the more "classic" writers, too...

* Ursula LeGuin (for fantasy, the Earthsea series, esp. A Wizard of Earthsea; for SF, the "Novels of the Ekumen", esp. The Left Hand of Darkness)
          * Philip K. Dick
          * Of course Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, Heinlein, Herbert
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Does James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces" count as fantasy? ;)

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit were very enjoyable.
            Also, I haven't read this title but I was suggested "Ender's Game" which I believe fits your requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
              I
              * Ursula LeGuin (for fantasy, the Earthsea series, esp. A Wizard of Earthsea
              Heh, I'm not the only one who knows her, woo!

I know you said you're in the middle of several long series, so I'll assume Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind. If you've not read Katherine Kerr's Deverry series, however, I'd recommend it- even if you aren't looking for another long series. :P

I'd recommend against Stephen King's Dark Tower series if there are other books outside of it from him that you'd like to read. This is my personal opinion, but I doubt you'll be able to read another book of his once you finish that series.

If you want a fairly quick but good read, pick up the Tripods series. It's young adult fiction, so it won't be very in depth, but I think you'll enjoy it. It's actually a quartet of books, 3 in the main series (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire) and one prequel (When the Tripods Came). Take my advice, and read the prequel last! It'll add a bit of mystery to the entire series if you do. Each book is only about 100-150 pages long, and it's written in first-person which takes some getting used to, but it's definitely worth reading. The ending is one of those that makes you go "hmmm".
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Woops, forgot to say that John Christopher wrote the Tripods. Also, another short but good read, check out Through the Ice by Piers Anthony/Robert Kornwise.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

You like si-fi? Ok, if you haven't read Dune, you have to., Its by far the best si-fi book ive read.

Comment

Anything by Carol Berg. She is absolutely amazing at creating characters and amazing fantasy worlds. She is probably my fav author so far. Everything she writes is golden. Pick up "Song of the Beast". It's a one off that stands alone and really gives you a taste of the author.

For fantasy I am reading the George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. It's good but kind of difficult to keep up with all of the characters. Tad Williams also did a great fantasy series called "Memory Sorrow and Thorn", it was quite good. I also ejoyed Tad Williams' "Otherland" series.

Modern: "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Great techno-geek book and is also a one off that stands all by itself. I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series by Stephen king, but I enjoy king as a no thought just enjoy the story kind of read.

Sci-Fi has to be Arthur C Clark all the way. The Heechee series by Frederick Pohl is also pretty good.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Let's see:

If you haven't read Neil Gaiman's, Alastair Reynolds', or China Mieville's stuff, you should.

I've been reading F.Pauil Wilson's Repairman Jack Series. Good stuff.

RA Salvatore's Blades Trilogy (Dragonlance) are also good.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                        You like si-fi? Ok, if you haven't read Dune, you have to., Its by far the best si-fi book ive read.

Ahh, forgot about that one. Dune is a good read. Movie was an injustice to the novel.

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I just read it a few days ago, and it is truly a wonderful book.

Comment

You can't go wrong with Angels and Demons or Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

When I have time im trying to read some Tom Clancy and James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline
                              Does James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces" count as fantasy? ;)

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit were very enjoyable.
                              Also, I haven't read this title but I was suggested "Ender's Game" which I believe fits your requirements.
                              I read ender's game long ago. Quite a twist in it, from what I recall.

But I do remember it being a very good book. I sort of wish college hadn't killed off my love for recreational reading. It's been two years and I still haven't gotten back into it yet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X