Anyone travel a lot for work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone travel a lot for work?

I got a very hard to turn down job offer with a consulting company that would require me to travel MON-THUR everry week. You work 40 hours a week with FRI-SUN off.

The travel makes me hesitate, so I was wondering if any of you have or had jobs that required you to travel a lot, your opinions would be appreciated as to how it went or if it was a strain, etc....

Re: Anyone travel a lot for work?

how far you traveling? If the pay is above average, so it will help offset the price of gas, id go for it.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Travel will be all over the country, mostly midwest to east coast though. Fly out Monday morning or late Sunday night, fly back home Thursday night. Most jobs will be between 9m-3yr long going to 1 place from what I understand.

Basically, you are living out of a hotel room (or getting a cheap apartment) 3-4 nights a week.

It would hamper my gaming unless I bought a really nice laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind
        It would hamper my gaming unless I bought a really nice laptop.
        get that included in the deal
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

When I was younger I did the traveling mon-thurs 3 day weekend thing for about a year and a half. I really enjoyed it, it was finally the stress it was causing for my wife that really got me to stop. I got to know the other consultants on the job pretty well, I liked the imersive atmosphere where I was working, I liked the pay, I loved the 3 day weekends, and the travel part never bothered me. I like to read on the plane, and can sleep anywhere.

Downsides, travelling monday morning and thursday night, still getting 40+ hours of work between it, it was pretty much all work for those four days. Much harder on my wife spent each evening alone. Everything pretty much went on hold till the weekends. Eating out didn't help the waistline(I didn't mind at the time, but I'm paying for it now...).

Still, all in all, I really liked it. Everyone was focused on the work during work hours, and you got 3 day weekends every week. Definately more of a stress on friends and family around you.

Comment

I echo Bommando's comments. Personally, I travelled for 3 years all over the US and Canada with my last job and was actually gone a bit longer, leaving Sunday afternoon and returning Friday evening. Wasn't every week but probably 3 out of 4 weeks.

In retrospect, we had only been married 2 years and it didn't do any favors for our marrige, but it seemed like the right thing at the time and starting pay was double what I was making at the time. It got worse when our first child was born and I started missing some of the 'first xxx', and that was when I started looking to make a change.

I don't want to seem to come across too harsh, just remember that money isn't everything. I actually took a 20% pay cut to move to my current job but I've been there 5 years and travelled a total of 3 weeks so for me it's worth the trade off.

Comment

I was a technician for a phone equipment company and was always on the road for work. Our service area was in geographically rural places so there wasnt much to do in the off hours. Yeah, I saved loads of money, but I didnt have much of a life. You pay rent and dont even see your place for 5 days out of the week. Also, does that 40 work hours include travel time? Mine didnt so travel time gets taken out of free time. It may be good for a short period, but I wouldnt suggest anyone make a career out of it unless they really enjoy it. Being on the road really takes a lot out of life unless you can do stuff you enjoy on the road.
              -33rd- BaneII
              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I live in the US, and I spend at least 1 week a month in Europe. I also make a lot of 1-nighters throughout the US. There are definitely pros and cons to doing this much travel, and if the job feels right and gets you where you want to go there are ways to deal with the hassles.

If you decide to go for this, take the schedule head on and make it yours. Don't get lazy on the road -- the guys I know who travel best learn to travel well... eat light meals, find hotels with good workout facilities and use them, or take up running (which just requires shoes... and maybe shorts if you're modest).

Take some light comforts from home with you. I always travel with a handful of DVDs, noise cancelling headphones (man these are nice on a long plane ride), and a magazine or book.

When you get to your destination go to the grocery store and get some light snacks. You can save a lot of money on belts if you have something lighter than vending machine food to snack on while crusing the TG forums in your hotel room.

Depending on your family situation and assuming your travel will mostly be to the same location, think about spending the weekend once in a while and fly your spouse/SO out to meet you. It really helps the better half to understand what you're doing, where you are, and that it can be lonely out there. I actually flew my wife to Finland for a weekend and it really put things into perspective for her.

The holy grail would be a laptop that could run your favorite games. But even if you can't swing this, make sure your hotel (if you don't have better arrangements) has internet access. CNN and BBC get real boring after a while.

So unless you're afraid of flying don't let the travel alone put you off, there are definitely ways to make that part less painful and monotonous. Your current career choices, goals, and what might be keeping you at home are the right things to think of. At least your gig sounds like it's a consistent travel schedule, so you can define your lifestyle quite a bit in that context.

Good luck mate,

Boot.
                Last edited by Boot; 02-20-2006, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the opinions guys, I appreciate it. I haven't yet decided on which direction I want to go with my career but this has given me some food for thought.

Comment

You never know what it will lead to. From ages 27-28 I traveled all over the Eastern U.S. at first, then it stretched to pretty much all over the world.. I was single at the time and had a blast.

Priorities changed when I got married though.. I didn't like being away from home so much and it got to be a real chore to go anywhere. - Single and unmarried I wouldn't trade it for the world.. long term.. nahh, I don't think so.. it does kinda chew you up pretty good.

Probably the most valuable thing I came away with was the knowledge of HOW to travel. Knowing how to navigate airports, rail stations, FBOs, it really becomes a talent, knowing how to be comfortable in those environments. Seven years out of that job.. now I do something completely different, but I travel hardcore 3 or 4 times a years for 2 weeks at a time.. because I can and I'm very knowledgeable and comfortable about doing it.. does that make any sense?
                    sigpic

Comment

hmmm, tough one, your gaming fix isnt a problem at all, u could easily talk them into getting a laptop, and if u dont have anyone (wife/kids) at home, it would be a very tempting deal, but if u do have wtfe/kids i wouldnt want to put them through that, just my 2 cents