Virtual Extortion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Extortion

In the World of Warcraft side of things, a guild on the Detheroc server is demanding a 5,000 gold payment to open the new instance Ahn'Qurag.

Check out their forum post...http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...theroc&t=67319

ROFL!
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Virtual Extortion

I don't know what's involved in "opening a new instance", but if that guild has somehow earned the right/power to open (or not open) it, then I don't see the problem. It's not like they're demanding $$$, they want in-game gold. They're playing a role, right?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cing, the new instance (dungeon-type special place for 20-40 person groups) requires a server-wide cooperative effort (both alliance and horde) to get to the point of opening the new area for use. Once that is complete (where they are now) there is another step in the sequence to actually open the gate.

So far as I know, the gate will open eventually regardless of what they do. It will open FASTER if this guild takes the actions they have prepped for to open the gate. It seems that it IS extortion of sorts...in game gold...but it's a GREAT publicity stunt for this guild. Ah, the chutzpah!:icon_eek:
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Update: Vinzalf found this...(and Blizz deleted the original forum post!)

Originally Posted by Unsurreal
        Well it looks the our legendary thread was deleted. Jokes over.

Here are the people that have donated for the second war effort. I would like to thank them personally for all their support of our vile greed:

Kombatwombat for 50 copper
        Bullets for 1 copper
        Lenlalron for 50 copper and an alterac swiss
        Rhius for 1 copper
        Shellykins for 1 copper
        Capitalism for 55 silver
        Odarius for 5 gold 29 silver 50 copper
        Thulcandra for 1 silver 32 copper and an aquamarine

Now that I have your money, I can safely say that this was indeed all a joke. I am proud to say that this joke was entirely mine in creation, so donít burn the guild in effigy. Our leader, Rice, did endorse it, but did not want anything to do with it.

We havenít opened the gates yet because we wanted to do it on a day when weíd have the most members on for the most amount of time, to tackle this new content. We had people take sick days and vacation days, and we had agreed on a time that was a fair bit amount of time past the moment when the gate was available to be opened.

I saw this time gap as an opportunity to play a little prank on my server. I created the original post before I had told anyone what I was doing so no one, not even my guild, saw it coming. For the most part it was met with great humor. People could see a joke a mile away, and I got many a ďpat on the backĒ so to speak.

But some people took things a little too seriously. Our champion scepter holder, Nimic, has been getting threatening tells. Our guild leader has been up to his eyeballs in slander and mudslinging. And while everyone in our guild has a great sense of humor, all of us can see when a good thing has gone sour.

The last person to turn was me. I wanted to keep this going for as long as humanly possible. 80 thousand views on my thread meant at least 8 thousand people viewed my words and laughed. I havenít gotten 8 thousand people to listen to me at once in, well, ever. The thread was my baby, and I didnít want to let it go.

Our appointed time to open the gates was set even before the last of the turn-ins were completed. I am sending all of the money back to its rightful owners (yes, even the one copper donations), making this a TRUE no harm, no fowl situation.

Anyone who says they have lost all respect for our guild has only lost their ability to appreciate a good joke. As for when we will open the gates? Iím afraid I cannot tell you. All I can say it that it will be VERY soon. Thank you and goodnight.
        Beep

Comment

ROFL!! That is awesome. I probably would have just stayed IC and stuck with it, though :p

Comment

Ahh... See, in EVE, that would be considered very enterprising. In the protected confines of WoW, that is scandalous.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X