National Search for...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Search for...

A raised floor in an educational facility located in the United States.

Wha'? You ask? I've asked everywhere.. why not here? I am taking the lead on a project that involves the integration of a raised floor deck in all of the classrooms of a new public high school we are designing. Right now I know more about raised floors than I ever cared to know.. BUT..

We can't find any that have been done before in a K-12 facility.

If you or someone you know, knows anything about the existence of such a facility.. please contact me with the details.. there is no finders fee.. just my undying gratitude.

Wha? Now, Why? For the curious - the school is destined to be a real nice piece of work with approximately 3000 (or more) thin client workstations.. wiring, both building and data/low-voltage.. will go very nicely in a low-profile flooring space.

Think about it.. I'm hoping for a collective research/brainpower payoff!

Thanks!
    sigpic

Re: National Search for...

Not K-12, but the satellite communications school that I went to in Fort Gordon, GA had a raised floor.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This sounds like a good question to pose in the AskSlashdot section of /. In fact, there was a recent thread looking for school district admins that got a fair number of replies...
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

Rather than overly-constrain the solution by specifying a raised floor, you might want to first ask how best to wire a K-12 facility for ubiquitous computing. The answer might not be the raised floor. The floor is nice for bringing power and gigabit fiber into dense workstation layouts, but it may be sufficient to lay it through your table system, perhaps using cable ducting.

Here's a good trade journal on the subject of cabling:

http://cim.pennnet.com/
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thanks guys.. I am checking all of this out. We've got a ton of high-profile examples of existing facilities.. CIA Regional in Orlando, Amex in Miami, Epcot Center, Webster University, etc.. So we're going to be checking everything on this one I think.

Scratch - We get CIM.. asked to do articles for them at the last BiCSi conference in Nashville.. haven't had time yet - playing too much BF2 after work I guess. You just reminded me I need to look up the contact info I had for that. We've addressed density already.. 30-40 workstations per classroom qualifies for pretty good density planning for active zones and wireless overlays. The furniture planning is also a pretty neat design too.. modular / built-in hardware - without being proprietary or overly restricting. 3 of 4 walls for each classroom will probably be demountable - but not your normal demountable.. They actually seem sturdier than your typical framed / constructed wall.

The school is scheduled to open in 2008 I think and we've been working on concept design for 6 months.. about ready to move on... finally.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
            The school is scheduled to open in 2008 I think and we've been working on concept design for 6 months.. about ready to move on... finally.
            Do you have an age limit? Can I apply for kindergarten there? :p

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              Do you have an age limit? Can I apply for kindergarten there? :p
              I know.. its crazy. I went to school / grew up in these districts. So many say they wouldn't do it over again.. I sure would!

This particular school is a licensed radioactive materials storage facility with a Cesium exposure vault - they study radiation effects in class... for real... very cool stuff.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, now you're just teasing me. Next you'll tell me you have rubidium lasers for an atomic clock class.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                  Ok, now you're just teasing me. Next you'll tell me you have rubidium lasers for an atomic clock class.
                  No, but they also have their own planetarium.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been in a couple schools that had certain classrooms with raised flooring, but never throughout the complete facility.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                      No, but they also have their own planetarium.
                      And here I thought our community college was special because it had a planetarium.

/me pouts

I feel like I live in some backwards 3rd world country.

Comment

That's been my experience as well. Many of the sim and ops buildings at Pensacola NAS were old-style raised.

Steelcase, Flexfloor, and Tate all have a floor that provides 2.75" of clearance underneath.. exactly 1U fits without friction. So it isn't your 'typical' raised floor.. it's 'just enough' for your power and data and not enough for anyone else to stick their stuff down there..
                        sigpic

Comment

Ohhhh.. Steelcase. If you order a bunch of stuff from them, be a pal and throw in an extra Leap chair for me :p

Never underestimage the damage kids can cause...
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                            Ohhhh.. Steelcase. If you order a bunch of stuff from them, be a pal and throw in an extra Leap chair for me :p

Never underestimage the damage kids can cause...
                            LMAO.. right on!

I never underestimate the damge kids can cause.. I was one that did :icon26:
                            sigpic

Comment

Brief interview of the Architect we are working with on the project -

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...201/REALESTATE
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X