This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for communication!

There was a recent conversation among the Giants of TG concerning communication and spelling/grammar. I thought I'd start an official thread on how to remedy simple spelling mistakes and provide some proper grammar tips!

The point of this thread is NOT to nit pick. The point of this thread is to educate. There are many many educated, smart, and witty people here at TG, but they may lack some tools. Being able to clearly communicate is important so that TG folk don't misinterpret and judge character on simple mistakes in written communication!

Spelling:
    The first tool in the war of e-communication is what is provided for you by these forums, a spell checker. When posting a reply or starting a new thread, you will notice a button in the upper right corner of the Message window:

This is a plug in for internet explorer (I'm not sure if it works with FireFox) called iespell. If you don't already have it installed, it will prompt you to install it.

Another option for spell checking is having a toolbar do the work for you. I use Google Toolbar, it has a built in spell checker that works fine and dandy. It also has a built in pop-up blocker and other features, including Gmail access and search tools. Google Toolbar works with both IE and FireFox, and can be used on any form areas for any website.

Clarity:
    Now that you know that the words you've typed are found in the dictionary, its time to make sure your sentences make sense! This requires you to PROOF READ.

PROOF READ: Reading what you've written, slowly (and possibly out loud), before you click on "Submit" to make sure your sentences make sense.

But do not worry! Because even after you click on "Submit", you have the option of using the "Edit" button for 12 whole hours.

That gives you time to react to any misunderstandings and edit your post!

Grammar:
    I'm not about to get into a huge lecture on proper grammar, but I will give a few pointers on commonly misused words and simple punctuation.

The AOL generation has littered the internet BBs with terms like "LOL", "ROFL", and "OMG". These are terms of emotion, and emotion only. They shouldn't be used as responses in and of themselves. Not that they should never be used as they have their place, but use them sparingly!

The comma ",". Even I get carried away with the comma. I probably have no right on informing you how to use it. Tip: when in doubt, don't use the comma. I think people would rather see less of it then too much of it.

Commonly misused words:
    There: I left the bazooka over there.(Location, Location, Location!)
    Their: I want some of their beer.(Something belongs to)
    They're: They're drunk and dancing on the table tops!(They are)

Where: Where does Apophis live?(Location, Location, Location!)
    Were: Were you going to remember this?(Timing)
    We're: We're reading a thread. (We are)

To: I went to the bar.(everything else)
    Too: I had too much to drink.(a degree)

Quit: I just quit drinking! (stopping)
    Quiet: I was quiet while passed out. (Silent)
    Quite: Im quite positive about it. (extent)

Lose: Aesop will lose to a fight with Squeak. (not win :p )
    Loose: Aesop has a loose lip. (not tight)

And that is all I got! Contribute to your fellow TG community members and help them articulate their thoughts and opinions!
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 04-05-2006, 01:27 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo before anyone else brings it up!
    USAR

Re: Tools for communication!

To add:

Firefox Users: http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/download
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
      Quit: I just quit drinking! (stopping)
      Quite: I was quite while passed out. (Silent)
      I thought it was spelt quiet for (near) silence and quite was for describing something, as in 'i was quite merry'.
      Not to be picky or anything, but it is a post on grammer... :row__572:
      |TG-4th|MalyJay
      [GMT] [EST+5]

Comment

Originally posted by MalyJay
        I thought it was spelt quiet for (near) silence and quite was for describing something, as in 'i was quite merry'.
        Fixed :)
        USAR

Comment

OMG Squake, U loose! I, for one am quiet apaled.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
            To: I went to the bar.(everything else)
            Too: I had too much to drink.(a degree)
            Two: Shoot those two turtle doves, not the lawyer, Mr. Cheney! (the number)
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

ect: the sound you make when spitting
              etc.: abbreviation for the Latin "et cetera", meaning "and the rest"
              http://www.bartleby.com/68/91/2291.html

its: possessive of "it"
              it's: the contraction of "it is"
              http://www.bartleby.com/68/52/3452.html
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

You still have a typo in "quiet"

I'll add "should of" "would of" "could of". "of" has never been a verb in the english language.

"should have" is the correct word pairing, and it contracts to "should've". The pattern extends to the others as well.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                  You still have a typo in "quiet"
                  This is where I swear to myself under my breath. Irony.
                  USAR

Comment

Originally posted by MalyJay

Spelt (Triticum spelta) was an important wheat species in Europe from the Bronze Age to Roman times. It now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe, but has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

You mean SPELLED .... don't you ?

;)
                    |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                    [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Hey, I got a couple for ya.

1. "I could care less." Oh you could, could you? Well, doesn't that tell us a whole lot of NOTHING?!

should be

"I couldn't care less." A bold statement, stating quite plainly that the speaker cares so little about the topic, it is impossible for them to care any less.

2. Irregardless.

Regard: To care for something.
                      Disregard/Regardless: To not care about something, or to be careless about, or ignoring.
                      Irregardless: Not regardless. Clearly a double-negative.

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                        Spelt (Triticum spelta) was an important wheat species in Europe from the Bronze Age to Roman times. It now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe, but has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

You mean SPELLED .... don't you ?

;)
                        spelt (spĕlt)
                        v.
                        A past tense and a past participle of spell.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by aesop rock
                          2. Irregardless.

Regard: To care for something.
                          Disregard/Regardless: To not care about something, or to be careless about, or ignoring.
                          Irregardless: Not regardless. Clearly a double-negative.
                          This one used to drive me crazy, as, for some reason, it is ingrained in the vocabulary of Marines. As a Corporal, I corrected my Staff Sergeant one day. He said I was wrong, I insisted I was right. We looked it up in the dictionary. He thrashed me for the rest of the day every time he saw me...

www.m-w.com

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
                          Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
                          Function: adverb
                          Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
                          nonstandard : REGARDLESS
                          usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

And rightly so. Unfortunately someone decided that this particular double-negative was OK. I stand strong in my assertion that this word is bad English. Booyakasha!

Comment

"The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X