Quake 4 or DOOM 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 4 or DOOM 3

I am debating on weather to get Quake 4 or DOOM 3.
    Could people vote on which game they liked more, and also describe in a post why the like it, or what the good and bad is about each game. Is one or the other better?
    I also like multiplayer, and wanted to know what one has a better multiplayer.

Re: Quake 4 or DOOM 3

Don't get either would be my advice. Doom 3 really isn't that scary. It uses repetitive and unoriginal tactics that might get you the first couple times, but quickly wear thin. If you want a truly scary game, I would heartily advise System Shock 2, from which Doom 3 borrowed many things, such as the audio log files, the whole UAC corporation thing, and alot of the general themes in the game.

As for Quake 4, it looks completely lackluster to me, though I haven't actually played it. But I'm sure there are better games to spend your money on.

Comment

Get Quake 4. I like Doom but most people seem to hate it. (Granted its most likely just the people that hate it being the loudest.) Also if you are in the mood for old fashioned DM nothing beats Quake 4. (QUake 3 only better looking.)
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Get both. I own both and love both. Heres why.

D00M 3 and Resurrection of Evil both kept what made the original D00M a masterpiece. The fact that you oculd walk into an empty room pickup a chainsaw and trigger an entire world of hurt. Nothing wwas more intense than grabbing that first chaingun in D00M 3 then having the walls open up and using that gun for the very first time to mow down hordes of demons, zombies, and imps. The same applied to grabing the double barrel shotgun in D3: RoE and then walking back into that main room to leave hitting the Artifact to slow down time to lay waste to 20+ zombies with a break barrel breach loaded slow firing POS and not take any damage. Trites scared the ever living bejezus out of me. The entire ambience of that game and the expansion creeped me out. People who hate it or are very disappointed in it hyped it up for it to be something it was never intended to be. They expected this massive story driven game and were disappointed when they got a suspense filled predictable standard, classicly setup drive by the seat of your pants grit your teeth until you break them sweaty palms chainsaw wielding frag fest. Its friggin' D00M and it needs nothing more than hidden monsters and a chainsaw as a trigger to release them.

Quake 4, picked up where Quake 2 left off. It was story driven. Kept a lot of what made the original Quake 2 classic and added quite a bit of new elements such as squads. Plus it had a very gory Strogg scene it that makes it worth it just because of that.

You might also consider FEAR as well. As its also a creepy game with great elements. I owned it since release and still ahve yet to beat it. I scare easy; I was only able to play D00M 3 and R0E at 30 minute to 1 hour increments because I got creeped out. I really hate spiders, and Trites scared me.

And if I recall D00M came out well before the System Shock series therefore, System Shock borrowed what worked from D00M. System Shock came out in 1994, D00M was released in 1993, System Shock 2 came out in 1999, D00M 2 came out in 1994. So as for the comment that D00M borrowed the entire UAC corporation thing fromt eh System Shock series is false.

[volun][drill]
        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

You definately got some stuff wrong there Chicken ;)

SS borrowed very little from Doom, besides 3d(or more accurately 2.5d) technology. It had a character in an infested workplace, and thats it. SS actually had characters, RPG elements, a villain (and a top notch one at that), and was scarier than Doom. If you ran into a room blasting things you died pretty fast. Ammo was limited. SS2 was pretty much the same, though even scarier. Doom 3 is the one that introduced UAC to begin with, not Doom 1, and Trioptimum has been there since SS1, SS wins on that count. The first 2 dooms didn't borrow anything from the SS franchise. It was Doom 3 that did.

And I wasn't expecting a massive story and complex gameplay from Doom 3. But it just plain wasn't scary. The first time you grab a shotgun and the floor falls out was scary, but it just got old after the umpteenth time. There was no variety. You walked into a room and sighed, because it was just like the last room. Playing Doom3 for me became a process instead of a game. "Walk in, take weapon, turn around and shoot 1 enemy, turn around and shoot 2 more, back around for 1 more, then back again to the last 3, walk into next room and repeat". "If a commando runs at me, crouch and fire, fire, uncrouch and fire".

Comment

i would have to go with Doom3, i dont know if it is because it is Doom, and Doom pwns, but i really thought the story was well scripted, the gfx even give my system a run for its money, and the controlls are flawless, what i didnt like was the fact that u cant use a flashlight and shoot at the same time (the game has alot of dark corners) overall, i like how the different mobs from the origional doom and doom2 have... grown up to look, more real instead of their pixelated counterparts from the past, otherwise, i havent heard much about q4 besides the fact that it is out. so i cant coment on that game