which FPS???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which FPS???

im lookin to polish up on my FPS skills, id say the last fps i have played is either HL2 or doom3, and i never played online before (didnt have cable modem up untill last fall, so if i.. hypothetically... bought a FPS to play online, which one would you recomend???
    TY in advance
    Last edited by Apophis; 02-22-2006, 07:28 AM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: which FPS???

Half-Life 1 then go play Natural Selection
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Battlefield 2 for a more "all-rounded" game, with a large vehicular component.
      Call of Duty 2 for a pure focused (and tactical) FPS.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
        Half-Life 1 then go play Natural Selection
        does anyone even play that on TG hosted servers anymore?
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

why don't you go for the FREE one and then if you like the "new" FPS... "Tactical Shooters"... then expand... free meaning Americas Army.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Chair
            the last fps i have played is either HL2 or doom3,
            If you already have HL2 and like it, then I'd suggest trying DoD:Source or CS:Source.

BF2 is another good choice, as there are many roles that you can play, so you're bound to find one (if not a dozen) that you enjoy.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would have to agree with Magnum America's Army is the best I have found.

Comment

Actually, let me pimp America's Army as well. It's not something that I spend lots of time on, but when there are a bunch of TGers online it's a blast.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                |TG-2nd|munchkin
                Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by chair
                  does anyone even play that on TG hosted servers anymore?
                  Nightly. It is the longest running consistently populated game at TacticalGamer, and still draws a full server on a very regular basis.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

FPS is no longer a single homogenous genre. It would help to know more about the kind of FPS you like. I like playing supporting roles in groups, so I hate pure DM and prefer team-oriented games. Depending on whether you prefer SF, modern, or historical environments, you might try UT2004, BF2, or even fall back to BF42. If you like 1-on-1 DM, then HL2 or Q4 would be good.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The three most popular FPS games hosted here at the moment are Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike Source, and Natural Selection. Get anything else and you'll probably by playing a lot by yourself, or in the public wildlands.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Listen to Tempus, he won't steer you wrong.

Comment

COD2 or CSS/DOD/NS if you want some close action and good tactics
                          BF2 if you want the feel of the battlefield and want to choose what you are going to do
                          AA or swat4 if you want some amazing tactics and game play.
                          Ghost Recon is comeing back and has a good old following
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Obviously, as Natural Selection Game Officer (Poker's right -- at 3+ solid years, it's TG's longest-thriving title), I'd love to have any player join us who has a Mario Land Block as his avatar, but, for a more balanced recommendation, just take the posts above mine. Excellent recommendations.

I'll say this much (to mirror Cing's recent comments): it's a damn good time to be looking for a game to play at Tactical Gamer. :)
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

BF2 is probably the most popular game at TG right now and I greatly recommend it. Not only do you get BF2, but all the mods that will be released in the coming year.

The server can easily be filled to 50+ every night, most nights reaching the max 62 players. And we have an in-house mod in the final stages of beta that will focus more on tactics over the usual run and gun speed of regular BF2 (It is currently running on server 2 24/6, excluding Wednesdays). With this mod, you can get action like CoD2 or DoD. But the best part is we, the TG community, are designing it.

And for supporting members, an automated guaranteed server slot is in practice, providing non-supporting members are on (I've never not been able to join).
                              Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X