Self-publishing anyone know about it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-publishing anyone know about it?

One of my hobbies when I'm not wrenching on cars, or playing BF2 or otehr various games is writing.

I've been writing since I was about 11 years old and have written many short stories, poems.

In 1994 I began to seriously look into writing as a means to get out frustrations onto paper. Many of which were political in nature. I don't hold a Republican or Democratic stance like the vast majority of the sheep in this country (please don't take offence to the word sheep). I'm by nature an anarchist and have spent many years researching why its so taboo. I've come to the conclusion that anarchy isn't about a complete lack of laws, rules, regulations, or a government. Instead, its about being yourself. Doing what you please without any interference from the government. I found a political stance with the Libertarians as its as close to anarchy as anyone of us will ever get.

In 1994 I began a book deemed S.E.A. it had begun as a role playing game, turned into a comic then from there evolved into a short story where in 1998 it grew into an entire universe. The first book in the series was called S.E.A. Security Enforcement Agency: Jump Gate. In 2000 it was revised and called S.E.A. Jump Gate. The story evolves around a woman in a branch of a government organization in the S.E.A. called the Aerospace Security Enforcers found out that her brother who had been ina different division of the government was murdered.

From that book I wrote several others all set in the same universe per se; the S.E.A. One was called Stranded and was a mere 8 pages long and was in the fashion of a diary where the writer went insane part way through it. The next in the series was called New Beginnings and centered around a man who was charged with mass murder and given an ultamatum in this new government I had created. Die for your crimes or join the system you so hate and put the aggresion to use in a war that began in the late 1990's when teh United States Government was shut down and space exploration was advanced into colonization. The man was a recurring character in almost every story I wrote. The last in the series was Cursed and centered around a military captain's shady past and the death of his entire squad on a recon mission. This story tied in with Stranded.

The last book I wrote was not related to any of the other books. In fact, it was my first venture into horror. Now, I am a person who scares easily and doesn't like horror films but I was always fascinated by a horror story centered around an ex-paramilitary organization. So, I wrote The Town about a town plagued by the demons of a farm house. An ex Gulf War vet with a near death experience who after being released from the military joined a paranormal division of the government to investigate paranormal activity. The main character could travel between the living and the dead almost at will, can stop time and so on and so fourth.

I want to start my own publishing company but don't know how to get my books printed. I don't want to go through a publisher as its very expensive to have things published. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any idea how to go about acomplishing this? I can use the 'net to get my books out there but I want professional books to be printed.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Re: Self-publishing anyone know about it?

Check out Amazon.com. They have these "So you want to..." guides. Run a search for writing and publishing. Pretty good tips there.

I'm pretty sure Google can help you out. Good luck. :)

edit: This may sound unbelievable, but: http://www.go-publish-yourself.com/

Comment

Thanks. That link was actually quite helpful. I'm gonna look into that.

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Beware of self-publishing and POD money sinks and scam artists like PublishAmerica. There are many people out there willing to take your money in exchange for not doing squat to get your book on a shelf. For a good lesson in print scams, visit http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ . Ignore the liberal political postings and just use the little search engine on the far low left bar. Look for "self-publishing" "scam" "POD" and other related terms. You will find a wealth of horse's mouth information.

Remember, money flows toward the author.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Which is why I'd like to start my own publishing company if I can find a binder that binds books for a reasonable price and on a per order basis.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Hey, i could design a cover for you for free if you need one

Comment

Fedex kinkos will make copies and bind them. Supply a .pdf file for the cover and a manuscript and your ready to go... not cheap though

99. A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
              100. Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
              101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by hayes321
                Hey, i could design a cover for you for free if you need one
                Yeah? I had one drawn up a while ago by a graphic artist, it was never what I wanted. I may take you up on that offer.

[volun][drill]
                I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Dude, your books sound awesome; I'll buy them! :)

I've been thinking about writing a book as well lately but always thought I'd put it off until I'm older so I have more experience with life and English.

Good luck on getting them published though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
                    Which is why I'd like to start my own publishing company if I can find a binder that binds books for a reasonable price and on a per order basis.
                    If every writer could start their own publishing company just to publish their own books, they would :D

What do you mean when you say it's too expensive to get your book published? Do you mean you don't have enough for an agent to submit your stuff to publishers for you, or what? It would be helpful to know the reason you want to self publish instead of doing it the normal way.

Comment

Because since I'm unknown regular publishers will not publish my stuff. I have to be seen first. So, in order to do that I've got to shell out between $600 and $2k to get my first book publish by an entry level publisher. They do all the lefwork by getting it into stores like Barnes & Noble but I've got to do all the legwork to be seen. I've got to schedule radio airtime, book signings and such. It gets expensive.

Heck, the New York Times Best Seller list is rigged. I found this out with my books. You actually buy your way to the top of the list. Its basically an add and not really a "list" of readers who recommend your book. It costs anywhere between $1400 to $4k to get on to the NYBS list.

Radooh, thanks. I've been working a long time on these stories and books and they go through many changes. I've even developed weapons, vehicles, and entire government structure to which I've written chains of command, who was the first SEAT (the seat is liek a president but he controls the entire world and controls whatever planets have been colonized, the SEAT is located on Earth and the SEA's arm reaches into the Orion Nebula.) not to mention I've developed two types of alien races, one we all know of from the 1940's and the Roswell crash and the other we went to war with.

[volun][drill]
                      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

TOR books accepts unsolicited manuscripts, although if you send material to them, make sure it's fairly polished and formatted to their specs. Also, you can always send work to sci-fi monthies and online journals. Attend SF cons, shake hands, get your work into the hands of people who will read and like it.

Paying $2000 to a self-publisher is like flushing money down the toilet. I don't knwo what particular company is courting you, but most of them will not edit your work for quality, nor will they support sales beyond the initial print run (if they even do that). When they say they are getting your book "on the shelves" at Barnes and Noble, they usually mean 1 copy. A real editor and publisher has an entire sales force dedicated to getting your book out into markets where they think it will sell. And they will pay you for it.

My advice is to concentrate on your writing skills. Think of your book as a product. Make it a good product, and people will pay you for it.
                        In game handle: Steel Scion
                        sigpic

Comment

The company I was going to have my work published would edit my work but it cost an extra $300 or somethign along those lines. I've since stopped returning their phone calls, I had my number changed, I delete their emails now.

And as of now thats all I'm doing is just rewriting my works, checking for continuity...some things I never really liked. I'm not good at editing so I've been keeping my eye out for grammer nazis who want to help out.

But overall, I've been doing it for me now. I'd like to get at least one of them out there. I just might buy a domain and put them online for DL and sell them that way; plus then I can spam my book site on all the forums I belong to with a clickable sig to "Industrial Publishing" <==That'd be my private publishing company's name. Maybe a publisher will see them online and decide to pick them up.

[volun][drill]
                          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...