Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Com fans, you may finally have what you've been waiting for.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Com fans, you may finally have what you've been waiting for.

When Micropose trashed the devolopment of X-com: Alliance, there was a great disturbance in the force. As if millions of voices were crying out, all at once.

Fans of the Original X-Com series (namely X-Com: UFO Defense and X-Com: Terror from the Deep), you may finally have something to actually look forward to. A company by the name of Chaos Concepts is nearing completion of, what appears to be, a genuine new-age rendition of the oldschool turn-based classic. It is called UFO: EXTRATERRESTRIALS. Here's a link. http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/

X-com is commonly hailed in the PC gaming community as one of the best games ever made, and it's not without reason. Having elements of strategy, RPG, sci-fi, and thriller all packed into one small game, it's no wonder that almost every squad/turn-based game to date has been compared, and in-the-shadow, to this franchise. Many have tried to imitate (UFO:Aftermath/Aftershock both are garbage, TBH) but none have quite pulled it together. Let's hope this company does better.

The basic gameplay of the X-com series consists of managing your home base and resources, decided which UFOs to intercept/react to, how to train/manage your troops, and what type of alien research to develop, among many other things as well. Overall, X-com will always stand as one of my personal favorite games.

I am sure that theres at least ONE person in this community that will find benefit to my post, and given my love for this game, that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by aesop rock; 02-26-2006, 05:13 AM.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: X-Com fans, you may finally have what you've been waiting for.

Yeah, Project:Xenocide is doing the same thing. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I actually reinstalled the original yesterday. It's butt ugly, but 3 hours went by before I realized how long I had been playing.

Jeez, that game is so good it's not even funny.

Edit: on closer inspection, UFO is making a new game whereas Xenocide is mostly remaking UFO Defense. Sounds good to me: they could both finish and I'd have twice as much goodness :D My only problem would be Extraterrestrials has a few iffy things: typos on the website, a cluttered looking UI, and characters with backstories and stuff. Not that I don't like backstories, but a large part of UFO Defense was losing 2-3 people if you weren't careful. I don't know how that would work if you've only got 5 people to work with.

Comment

X-Com was the coolest game evar!!! I have been waiting for a new one to come out.

I'd also like to see a resurgence in Space Combat Sims like Wing Commander.

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

The typos ARE a little daunting, but the company is Czech, and hopefully is using their spellchecking time on the AI (which they are saying is the main focus of their project). I looked at a few of the in-game shots of research (that had text in it) and I didn't notice any typos or misspellings there.

The problem I have with project Xenocide, is that it looks like they're attempting to make a 'all-in-one Mega-game'. When this is attempted, ESPECIALLY on a game so in-depth, complicated, and intellectually robust as X-com, it usually fails. I liked the old 2-d turn-based style of X-com. But like you said, the more the better.

As far as back-stories are concerned, I agree that X-com was unique in it's utterly open-ended 'ok go' style of gameplay. On the other hand, I had a zero-loss-tolerance policy for X-com agents. Those guys were like my FAMILY. Naw man, you can't lose your agents.. you gotta reload... :D

ps. I hate those freaky grey things that infect your homies and then when you kill them their skin splits open and another one pops out. <shudder>
        Last edited by aesop rock; 02-26-2006, 05:26 PM.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

sweet!!! I've loved X-Com since it came out :)

99. A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
          100. Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
          101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.

Comment

Heh. After reading this I went back and loaded it up too. Man I suck at it. Ah well! I'd love to see a modern version of it as well.

Comment

You could name your operatives! Best game ever. It all went downhill from UFO Defense...

The best games are where you can make up your own stories.

Assaulting a downed UFO with 2 heavy guns at the main entrance while the rest of the team blows a hole in the back hull and then all entering at once giving them aliens a hot "Welcome to earth" Will Smith style! :)
              former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

I never actually beat UFO Defence. I never could capture an alien commander alive lol. I always went in and killed everything that move.

Anybody remember the blaster launchers? The guided missle launcher. Those things would totally destroy a landed UFO.

I didn't like Terror of the Deep that much though.
                |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by aesop rock
                  ps. I hate those freaky grey things that infect your homies and then when you kill them their skin splits open and another one pops out. <shudder>
                  I remember the first time I encountered one of those things. They are fast as hell and when my shuttle touched down I barely had one guy out when this thing ran out of nowhere, zipped up the ramp into the shuttle and proceed to infect the whole landing party! Needless to say, after I stopped screaming, that I reloaded.

The original was an awesome game. One of my all time favs. Quite satisfying when you took the battle to their homeworld and won.
                  -33rd- BaneII
                  Smokers & Jokers

Comment

[QUOTE=aesop rock
                    The problem I have with project Xenocide, is that it looks like they're attempting to make a 'all-in-one Mega-game'. When this is attempted, ESPECIALLY on a game so in-depth, complicated, and intellectually robust as X-com, it usually fails. I liked the old 2-d turn-based style of X-com. But like you said, the more the better.[/QUOTE]

Nah actually they're just making X-COM except with better graphics. Nothing new really. And X-COM actually isn't so complicated. The AI is pretty much the only thing that you can't instantly understand; everything else is just simple number crunching.

Comment

Interesting, I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I still play an occasional mission in Aftershock, it's a lot better than Aftermath in my opinion.

[defense]

Comment

X-Com was an excellent classic and still is.
                        XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

I loved those guided missiles. Never beat either of them for the same reason someone else mentioned; couldn't capture those commanders.

It was fun, in the early stages of the game, to use that incendiary ammo and burn everything down in the process of killing the aliens.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X