How do you consider yourself?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you consider yourself?

Out of curiosity, based on your expectations from a game and your favorite titles, what kind of gamer you think you are?
    I am a hardcore simmer (slow paced)
    14.29%
    I am in the middle, can play both types of games
    77.14%
    I am an arcade gamer (fast paced)
    8.57%

Re: How do you consider yourself?

I put myself as an hardcore simmer considering the fact that immersion is the first thing I am expecting from a game and the more serious and tactical I play a game, the more immersive it is getting for me.

Lets see if this is going to be a normal (bell shaped) distribution ...

Comment

I'm not an arcade gamer. I don't have the twitch skills.

Comment

Arcade. I'm a total twitch shooter/action grunt as opposed to a real tactical person, as anyone who's played in a BF2 squad with me (or seen my death count) probably knows.

Comment

In general, I always prefer to see something well planned unfold successfully. I've played tons of turn-based 3-D WWII company-level simulation (a type of gaming that apparently requires three dashes to describe), and the joy of that game was to see a plan slowly take shape until suddenly the noose snaps tight. Imagine one round of BF2 taking place in one minute turns exchanged between players over email, with the whole round taking a couple weeks to play. It's like the book version of the movie. My favorite part of BF2 is to flank an enemy or draw them into a situation that they cannot win. I long for my first scrim, and I envy the folks participating in the SF scrim this weekend.

I view the face-to-face shoot-fest moments as a mixed pleasure. I enjoy the challenge of seeing first and minimizing my exposure and "shootability," but my ability to snap immediately to a precise head-shot is close to non-existent.

Dmeh

Comment

Hard core simmer though haven't had much chance to do that so far with BF2, it's all been a bit hectic for me so far!
            |TG-E1st| India51A

Comment

I'm in the middle. An arcade type game is almost never as good as a great slow paced tactical game, but I have the skills to enjoy and excell at both.
              Last edited by Leonidas; 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM.
              War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

I prefer hardcore sims, but arcade games have their place too.

Comment

I am both. I enjoy sims more so then arcade games but I am still a Quaker.
                  RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                  TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                  "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                  "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                    I'm in the middle. An arcade type game is almost never as good as a great slow paced tactical game, but I have the skills to enjoy and exell at both.
                    A reminder though, consider this question as "what do you really enjoy to do?"

I also have the skills (although I am getting old and losing them) to play a fast paced arcade game. I can adapt to and survive in a fast-paced game. But when compared to the fun I get from a slow paced, tactical game experience, it is nothing. I get very little satisfaction from the headshots, mass kills or very high K/D ratio + number 1 spot on score board when I compare it to a planned, tactical, slow paced game played with like-minded players.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
                      A reminder though, consider this question as "what do you really enjoy to do?"

I also have the skills (although I am getting old and losing them) to play a fast paced arcade game. I can adapt to and survive in a fast-paced game. But when compared to the fun I get from a slow paced, tactical game experience, it is nothing. I get very little satisfaction from the headshots, mass kills or very high K/D ratio + number 1 spot on score board when I compare it to a planned, tactical, slow paced game played with like-minded players.

You pretty much just said what I meant to get across. :) I enjoy both, but I enjoy more tactical games much more. But, I need to not suck at something for me to enjoy it, and I can excell at either kind, adding to my enjoyment.

Finally we are getting some of those slower paced games, with RO, Armed Assualt, and others, it will breath some life into an otherwise almost empty genre.
                      War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Hardcore is my favorite. I've tolerated BF2 arcade action since that's where the population has been. And I really do prefer larger battles (BF2 sized) since it's so much more open to different engagements and broader tactics involving multiple small units.

Comment

In the middle. But i only play arcade style with friends because otherwise it's boring.

---

Comment

I'm in the middle. I like to see well laid plans come together and succeed. But if I have to make a "twitch" type of decision I will.

[volun][drill]
                            I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
                              In the middle. But i only play arcade style with friends because otherwise it's boring.
                              That helps me remember something I really enjoy: the turn based games in particular don't offer the same opportunity to coordinate things on the fly with friends, which offers a whole different kind of fun. I like the hive-mind part of organized play.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X