X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYT Does Irish Whiskey

And does a nice job of it too!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/di...=1&oref=slogin

This is something that I have thought for quite some time: Bushmills Single Malt 10 year is damn good.

Re: NYT Does Irish Whiskey

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
    This is something that I have thought for quite some time: Bushmills Single Malt 10 year is damn good.
    Yes, it is...you can drink a highball glass full rather quickly if you're in the middle of something and not paying attention...so...I've...heard...

Comment

I like Irish Whisky every now and again. I always have a bottle of Bushmills on hand.

But my taste buds still prefer a good Scotch Whisky usually... (and "good" for me is usually the cheaper single malts, although you'll always find a bottle of good ol' Chivas Regal on my bar.)
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm with Cing in my preference for Scottish over Irish Whisky. I just find the taste much richer - each to his own tho ;)

For a "cheap blended" the most popular brands here are Famous Grouse and Bells, although in my opinion the first is rough dirge and the second is quite wonderful. Although seen as cheaper a good blend will knock out 80% of single malts.

As for the single malts I have not tasted anything that comes close to Balvenie (10, 12 or 16). Also rated up there in my opinion is one called Isle of Jura. I'd definitely recommend these two to anyone. The Jura is quite light, as is more the way with islay whiskies. If you're trying to keep the winter out however then you might like to try Talisker. It's nowhere near the quality of the aforementioned two, but it's deep; will put hairs on your chest ;) Also notable is Arberlour which is a good backup, but personally I'd avoid any of the ones beginning Glen-.

Closely related are Golden Rums. I'd recommend a Barbados one called Cockspur (hopefully the word filter won't kill that). It tastes much like a blended whisky but has pretty much no kick it is that smooth.

Anyway sorry to hijack your thread with talk of Scottish not Irish drinks - but the article has a good review of Irish whiskies so I thought I'd add a bit more detail in for its celtic brethren.

Comment

Wulfyn, we might have to have a little chat about an exchange of liquors... You like any American whiskeys?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My personal scotch favorites are much as my esteemed 42nd bretheren: Balvenie (any vintage) is right at the top.

Next to that, the 21 year old Macallan. The 15 is good, on par with Bushmills Single, but nowhere near as good as the 21.

An Islay Scotch that I like quite alot is Bowmore. Their 17 year is simply amazing.

I've have yet to acquire the palate for Lagavulin and Laphroiag, both of which I understand are acquired tastes, but I'm working on it. Laphroiag grows on you, actually.

Comment

Never tried any american whiskys, but I am of course more than willing to experiment! ;) -I'm not a fan of sour mash whiskies tho like Jack Daniels.

And yeah I'd be up for a little exchange program :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                Never tried any american whiskys, but I am of course more than willing to experiment! ;) -I'm not a fan of sour mash whiskies tho like Jack Daniels.

And yeah I'd be up for a little exchange program :)
                Oh, we need to introduce you to Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek. They have the same relationship to Jack Daniels that Balvenie has to anything Glen-.:row__577:

Jim Beam also owns Booker's, and Baker's, to more servicable bourbons.

Comment

Knob Creek?? I'm not falling for this ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                    Knob Creek?? I'm not falling for this ;)
                    Falling for what?

Tasting Notes
                    Proof: 100
                    Color: Copper to medium amber
                    Aroma: Toasted nuts, grain oak
                    Taste: Rich, sweet, woody, full-bodied, almost fruity
                    Finish: Long, rich and glowing
                    Award: National Champion Whiskey - Wine Enthusiast
                    Comments: "At 100 proof, Knob Creek is as close to perfection as any bourbon on the market."
                    - The Book of Bourbon
                    It's quite good.

Comment

speakin as a irishman i do like scottish whiskey but there is nothing like being on a beach at sunrise with a bottle of Jameson ............ ah the memories

Comment

My personal Scotch favorite=Lagavulin...and for when I want a lighter something=Macallan.
                        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                          Jim Beam also owns Booker's, and Baker's, to more servicable bourbons.
                          I'm a big fan of Baker's 7. I don't like Maker's Mark at all. Knob Creek is good.

I'm gonna have to buy some of the recommended scotch though... I have none in the bar at the moment.

Comment

Having lived in Dublin for a stretch, I can attest to the mysterious power of Irish Whiskey. Though, I can't quite recall the memories too well. Jameson is my preference.
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

ok Mr Duality - I have an extra bottle of Balvenie Founders Reserve (10 yr).

It is: (according to the blurb)

Nose: Rich and complex with honey and orange notes and just a hint of peat.
                              Taste: Full-bodied honey sweetness, with light spicy notes and a hint of sherry fruitiness. Its finish is long with a pleasant lingering richness.

Well I dunno about all that, but it's damned nice :)

However not sure if you can get that one easily over there - if you can I might be better off trying to find you a more difficult one to get?? Let me know :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X