Mandatory pre-post spell check?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory pre-post spell check?

Note: I'm just curious about this. I've spoken to no one else about this. There are no plans to start doing this. I'd love it, but I'm just one guy.

A client of mine recently had me build a solution (again, fear not -- it was on a platform in no way compatible with our forums) for her workers, who were creating content for public consumption, by which they were forced to submit their content to a spell checker before releasing it for public consumption. It adds about 10 seconds to the time required to create content. Any additional time beyond that is due to spelling errors (fixing them).

This got me thinking about how professional it would look if the many, many spelling mistakes we see here day in and day out were corrected before we saw them.

Do you support a programmatically-enforced mechanism which forces our post authors to run their content through a spell checker before submitting that content for public consumption?

The mandatory part would be submitting the content to the spell checker. The author would decide what gets changed, if anything.

I'm curious to see the results.
    Yes. I could live without them, but I welcome them.
    59.90%
    No.
    40.10%
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 03-08-2006, 03:51 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Mandatory pre-post spell check?

i dunno... prolly wouldnt work for alotta the words that get used these days... ;)

Comment

Well, if it brought us back to a page where we could agree or decline the changes that the checker made. Say we were trying to spell something, and it came out wrong, and the spell checker corrects it to some wierd word that doesn't make sense.

Another problem is all of the forum names, where the spell checker won't know that Wyzcrak is really the name of an awsome person ;).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        Note: I'm just curious about this. I've spoken to no one else about this. There are no plans to start doing this. I'd love it, but I'm just one guy.

A client of mine recently had me build a solution (again, fear not -- it was on a platform in no way compatible with our forums) for her workers, who were creating content for public consumption, by which they were forced to submit their content to a spell checker before releasing it for public consumption. It adds about 10 seconds to the time required to create content. Any additional time beyond that is due to spelling errors (fixing them).

This got me thinking about how professional it would look if the many, many spelling mistakes we see here day in and day out were corrected before we saw them.

Do you support a programmatically-enforced mechanism which forces our post authors to run their content through a spell checker before submitting that content for public consumption?

I'm curious to see the results.
        Yes! I foolishly suborn these and all spill-checked items for pubic consummation!:row__523:
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
          i dunno... prolly wouldnt work for alotta the words that get used these days... ;)
          That, and sometimes you want things spelled incorrectly.

Wyz, you just hate free speech, don't you?
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

The mandatory part is submitting the content to the spell checker. The author decides what gets changed, if anything.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

id say yes, though not because i find other peoples mistakes annoying, more that it would probably speed up my posting time, i usually just run words i cant spell through google and get the correct one, this would really help me with that.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Maybe I don't look on the forums as often as I should, but I don't really see the need for compulsory spell checking. The standerd of english typed here is well above that of any other forums I visit, and instead of enforcing some kind of forced spelling obsession, we should be congratulating ourselves for having members that are expert spellers. So what someone makes an obvious but yet unimportant mistake? Sure, its sometimes annoying, but it is far better just ignoring that little niggle and feeling smug in ourselves for being superior spellers.
                |TG-4th|MalyJay
                [GMT] [EST+5]

Comment

I'm against it because I don't see a few minor spelling errors killing anyone, there's no reason to make a big deal about someone misspelling... ontimontipea which I obviously can't spell. You still know what I meant.

But that's from personal experiance, I rarely if ever see people go 'omg wel u kud im me abowt it okae???./?", but those people may very well exist in small numbers where I don't ever look at the boards they post at.

I wouldn't mind so long as it was somehow lined up with the post message button, because I'm never, ever going to bother.

Comment

I do not support this.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
                      id say yes, though not because i find other peoples mistakes annoying, more that it would probably speed up my posting time, i usually just run words i cant spell through google and get the correct one, this would really help me with that.
                      great point.. i too use google as spell check... hmm.. wasn't there talk of a google tool-bar that spell-checks in-place? (as opposed to putting it in the search bar and looking for "Did you mean..." to pop up in a new tab)

optional, yes.
                      mandatory, no.

Comment

I'd say yes, make it mandatory. It only takes a moment to make your post legible, but if some will not take that moment, then just make it mandatory. People will get used to it after awhile and it will simply be a part of posting. It's not making a big deal out of incorrect spelling, it is simply improving it.

Sure, I can live without it, but it would be nice.
                        Last edited by Leonidas; 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM.
                        War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Right or wrong, bad spelling and bad manners are a sure way to get on my list of people whose credibility is...reduced.

I'm not making a judgement about someone's innate "quality" or value in the world, but spelling, good personal hygiene and clean clothes are all characteristics of those who pay attention to "details" and their impact on others (IMO).

FWIW, one of the best writers I have known was a horrible speller. Knowing that, he ALWAYS carried a dictionary and was scrupulous about checking anything he wasn't sure about. Very few misspelled words got past him...and those were mostly typos...
                          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I say optional. It would be extremly helpful if you didn't know how to spell a word, or if you were making an offical post, to have the option of spell checking your work.

Comment

It still wouldn't be mandatory if the user can reject any suggestions the checker made. A user could simply click post, and post again to get past the spell checker. It would be a nice tool to have around like a smiley inserter or a link formatter.

And why does it have to be professional? Yes, most of us want to be viewed as intelligent. However, this is a gaming site where friendships are made. It would be nice if people can be who they are without somebody watching and picking out every little mistake.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X