Comcast - Game Invasion Speed Ugrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast - Game Invasion Speed Ugrade

Well I did it and so far am really enjoying the improved upload speeds and the IGN/gamespy membership.

The crazy thing is that I got the 8mb/728 service upgrade for $43 a month for three months and $53 after that. BUT I'm not a comcast cable subscriber so I was previously paying $53 a month for the 4mb/256 tier. Yes that means I get 3 months of $10 off and a doubling of my speeds AND the IGN founders club membership for the same price I was paying before. (LOOPHOLE ANYONE?)

I don't think they should have processed my order, but they did even with a live technician reviewing it, so its worth anyone else out there with Comcast and w/o cable to try as well. You could have the top tier service for the same price you are paying today.

http://www.comcast.com/gameinvasion/

Re: Comcast - Game Invasion Speed Ugrade

Ugh.. highspeed... don't get me started on HSI..

Around where i live (and not out in the boonies either, 5 miles away from the state capital) there is about 3 options. Comcast cable, SusqCom (now out of business) or Verizon and other DSL outlets... Comcast cable sucks in my area (it's still 1.5/256 because every time they upgrade it, they supersaturate and everyone's stability suffers.. though they might be up to 3 meg now) for over 65 dollars/month without cable, with cable, it's 49 + premium cable of like 20-30 so either way they are getting the same amount from you. combine that with the soft caps and speed throttling they are doing in my area... not good.

I have DSL through Covad, and it was a hassle, because my area is Verizon controlled. (consequently, i cannot get verizon DSL unless our house is has verizon telephone service in addition...) Verizon doesn't let other exchanges use thier lines, so i had to buy/provision my own copper loop at my expense (150 dollars) plus the DSL hookup/setup/equipment fee of around 300 dollars, and 82 dollars/month for my 1.5/384 business line DSL...

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner
      Well I did it and so far am really enjoying the improved upload speeds and the IGN/gamespy membership.

The crazy thing is that I got the 8mb/728 service upgrade for $43 a month for three months and $53 after that. BUT I'm not a comcast cable subscriber so I was previously paying $53 a month for the 4mb/256 tier. Yes that means I get 3 months of $10 off and a doubling of my speeds AND the IGN founders club membership for the same price I was paying before. (LOOPHOLE ANYONE?)

I don't think they should have processed my order, but they did even with a live technician reviewing it, so its worth anyone else out there with Comcast and w/o cable to try as well. You could have the top tier service for the same price you are paying today.

http://www.comcast.com/gameinvasion/
      Did anyone have to come out to install anything or do they just switch everything over ?

I also have Comcast Internet but no Cable TV service here ......
      |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
      [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I already have the 8MB service, but I didn't know about the Game Invasion stuff. Sounds like an awesome addon. I hate waiting in the queue at FilePlanet et. al.

Bisclaveret, I don't know what you're referring to about Comcast's speed. I just did a speed test tonight with Speakeasy's tester and actually got over 11Mbps down and a little over 700Kbps up and I live across the river from you in Colonial Park. I know Comcast was oversaturated a while back, but it's been at least a year or two since that. And standard speeds are 6Mbps down/384Kbps up. Maybe you just ran into those problems back when this problem existed? *shrug*

Gixxer, no one has to come to your house to install anything. They just add it onto your account, your modem receives a new bootfile, and voila! Killer speeds! :)

Comment

hmm I pay 14.99$ a month for 1.5mb/384k speeds sbc-att/yahoo dsl.

Shiner, I'm not to sure where exactly all comcast's locations are here in texas, its obvious dallas area for sure, but I know alot of the area where i'm at charter runs the place. I really wish I had comcast here in my area.

Comment

I just plugged in my address and zip and it says "server no longer available". I already have Comcast HSI. (But I'd rather have Speakeasy, for their much more sane TOS.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
              Did anyone have to come out to install anything or do they just switch everything over ?

I also have Comcast Internet but no Cable TV service here ......

I have a pretty new modem so it was instant.

Comment

But when I go through the form to fill in .. it asks for INSTALLATION date ..... do I need someone to come out to set this up ????

i already have Comcast HSI ......
                |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

It looks like we kind of jumped the gun or found it before it was officially launched or something. I signed up for this last week and all I had to do was link my comcast.net account to either an existing IGN/FilePlanet/GameSpy/etc. account or create a new account using my comcast.net e-mail address and everything was instant. Comcast isn't doing anything (unless it's a new install), you just have to let IGN et. al know of your account info and they can verify that you qualify and boom. Instant access.

Definitely a great addon to my service. Not having to wait in line to download stuff from FilePlanet alone makes it worth it.

Comment

a thought.. with google buying all the darkfiber (fiber lines that have been laid in the US but neverused due to the telecomm drop) I'm thinking we'll be seeing some very very fast bandwidth being released tothe public for cheap. Think about the money that industry will be able to make with full 5mbit lines to everyone's house. Streaming HDTV, Download movies in minutes, not hours, games in the same time. In japan right now you can get 55mbit to your house for what translates into about $65 US / year. Think that's stupid? TV in japan is internet based, not cable/sat based. It's coming america, it's coming! Video-phones for all!!
                    Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

55mbit to your house for what translates into about $65 US / year.- Darkilla

jesus! .........im moving to japan...................................bye!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X