I got a deal from Dell!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a deal from Dell!

FYI- Dell has a deal on their XPS laptops that includes a 256Nvidia7800GTX video card as a free upgrade for $1999...I've been contemplating buying a laptop for the last three months. I happened to check on it this morning and saw that they're offering this deal. What's more is that I called their sales team on the 1-800 # and got an even better deal. I got them to include a sound card ($100), wireless card w/ Blue tooth ($40), and an accidental damage warranty ($120) and the XPS Backpack Carrying Case ($50- a little much - i know) as part of the deal for me to buy. I got off with paying $2110 out the door (includes sales tax and all that other crap). I thought I'd let you guys know in case you were interested. I gave my buddy the contact info of the sales person that hooked me up and my buddy got the same deal. PM me if you want the sales person's info.

Re: I got a deal from Dell!

Awesome deal on the lappy. The XPS is one impressive laptop. I'd like ot buy a laptop but first I need a job.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I wanted to share this opportunity w/ you guys incase this upgrade goes away. The real test is when I actually get it...I've heard of some bad things with working w/ Dell...crossing my fingers.

Comment

I have an XPS Gen 1. Love it. Does everything I need it to and does it well. Only problem I ever had was an error in the heat detection system. They swapped chip manufacturers halfway throgh production, and the new boards ran about 3 degrees hotter than the originals. After about 3 months it started to trip the heat alarm and the clockspeed would nosedive. Had to argue with tech support for a while but after some independent research I got them to replace the motherboard. Smooth running ever since.

That's a great deal, almost a grand less than what I paid. I wonder what they're trying to unload.

Oh, don't let them give you a printer. The nicer ones make servicable scanners, but the actual printing blows.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Back about 4 years a few of my fraternity brothers and I got Dell laptops. Our conclusion was that if the laptop had no problems in the first 30 days (of heavy use), then it was set for life. If you have problems with the lap top within the first 30 days-- anything, take advantage of Dell's 30 day unconditional return policy or demand a new system (don't let them work on it). You'll be glad you did.

My company is a Dell outfit and the same it true now. Our techs will have Dell replace the full system if it has any problems within the first 30 days or so of use.

Also, if you ask to return your laptop, Dell will try to give you freebies so that you keep it and let them service it. My neighbor was offered (and took) a Canon PowerShot. His laptop still has some issues, but hey, he got a free camera...

Great deal though!
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Nice deal.
            I have several friends who've purchsed XPS laptops lately.
            They seem to run well and are fully game-worthy.
            Myself... with the kind of fund I drop on my pc, I'll just hang on to my Inspiron 1100 for a while. ;)

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
              If you have problems with the lap top within the first 30 days-- anything, take advantage of Dell's 30 day unconditional return policy or demand a new system (don't let them work on it). You'll be glad you did.
              That's great advice...I was on the fence for a long time about buying a Dell. I've heard of screen blackouts, heat issues, and lack of customer support among the worst problems for a few people, but I also heard from others that the xps was a solid laptop. The price drop and the 7800gtx card got me in the end- plus, the salesperson I spoke to indicated that I had 21 days to return it unconditionally (seven days shy of the 30-day mark)- I'm hoping to spot any crap within this 3week window.

Comment

I didn't realize this until I visited a deals forum a while ago, but you can negotiate with Dell phone orders. If you are persistant you can almost always get at least the 10-15% corporate discount on most products.
                The Dirty

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach
                  That's great advice...I was on the fence for a long time about buying a Dell. I've heard of screen blackouts, heat issues, and lack of customer support among the worst problems for a few people, but I also heard from others that the xps was a solid laptop. The price drop and the 7800gtx card got me in the end- plus, the salesperson I spoke to indicated that I had 21 days to return it unconditionally (seven days shy of the 30-day mark)- I'm hoping to spot any crap within this 3week window.
                  If you get a lemon, you should have no problem spotting any problems. Post your benchmarks when you get your new machine :)
                  ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                  No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

This guy got a really good deal on a Dell from QVC....

Comment

lol that's funny coridon. great deal norcal. I can't wait to see it when you bring it over.
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Dude your gettin a dell....DUDE I have a Dell!!!

DUUDE

SWEET
                        "The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful." -- Lao Tzu

ingame name: Zuiquan1

Comment

I received the laptop on Monday the 20th and spent the first night trying to get all the unnessary software off the machine- crap crap crap. Everytime I thought I'd deleted a program (there were many) they would pop up again trying to repair itself or update the programs information. I even tried a Microsoft's clean sweeper program but the blasted programs wouldn't go away. I ended up just doing a clean reinstallation of windows Oem and haven't had any problems since.

I gotta say the machine is tight, I loaded BF2 and Oblivion yesterday. BF2 lags a little on the highest settings, but I'm not sure if its my wireless set up or the laptop thats choking it. Oblivion runs awesome. I haven't had time to really get into the laptop and running the games, I'll post the benchmarks later this weekend. One problem that I noticed so far is that my microphone isn't picking up my voice very well in game. I've had a few people tell me that the in-game Voip is low, however the Teamspeak quality is fine if not too load. I'm hoping its not a laptop issue.

BTW- I checked dell and the 7800 gtx free upgrade is expired. However, the xps laptop overall cost went down to $1799 with a 6800 ultra.

Comment

I was the dell salesperson on the other end of the line about 3 years ago as a college job. I made very good money (for being in college), as the salesman get paid off of a commission system.

Dell does NOT work like a car dealership, you can't 'talk someone down'. Granted this is all how it was 3 years ago, maybe things have changed somewhat since. Though I highly doubt it. They expect the same margin to be on the PC whether it is done online or over the phone.

I know it sounds like you got a good deal from a certain salesperson NorCal, but more likely those promotions already existed and he just gave them to you. We would do stuff like that all the time. "Tell ya what, if you order right now I'll go ahead and give you a free dvd burner upgrade!" Uh or you could just go online and get the same deal...

For most people that know about computers, they are better off doing the purchase online. However those "Only available if you buy online promotions" that dell runs are BS, I could give you the exact same price you could get online. I think the only lee way we had was certain rebates that could be put on the order which weren't offered online. But they were always mail in (read SLOW) and no more than $50.

Since I could see the margins that were on every PC I built for a customer... a piece of advice is if you are buying a low to middle end PC, go ahead and save yourself the headache of putting it together yourself and buy it from Dell. The margin on thse econo boxes is very, very low. They can do it cheaper than you can. I sold high end PC's that were OVER $1000 worth of profit though, so that route you should build your own.

Also, just buy the machine from dell, don't buy accessories or warranties. ALL PROFIT. HUGE MARKUPS. Something like 5% of people actually used the extended warranty coverage, the odds are in your favor.

ALSO #1 PET PEEVE as a salesman. I worked for the HOME division of dell, the BUSINESS sales sold a completely different product. People would stupidly get the business catalog, think they could get a nice computer for $499, call in and then get pissed at me because they aren't a @#$ing business!

That being said, if you know someone that owns a business and will order it for you (I think you need a tax ID) go that route. You will get a better price, though the upgrade options are different and I doubt you could put a high end graphics card on a business class machine as they aren't meant to play games.

And I'm spent!

Comment

I just bought a Dell XPS600 with a Pentium 955 EE 3.46mhz 1066fsb 4mb cache
                              2gigs DDR2 533mhz
                              Sb Audigy2 ZS
                              7800 GTX and have room for a second one to run SLI
                              Dual 10000rpm drives running raid 0
                              dual DVD/CD burners

I must say I absolutely love this machine and had zero issues uninstalling everything that came on it except windows and I LOVE being first in the game on BF2!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X