Linux News: Gael Duval Fired From Mandriva

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux News: Gael Duval Fired From Mandriva

I'm a Linux geek, so I check Distrowatch, OSNews, and a bunch of others ever day. Imagine my surprise when I browse over to OSNews, and see the following:

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=13971

Gael Duval, founder, creator, of Mandrake Linux, now Mandriva, fired.

Now, I haven't used Mandriva....well since 10.0 or something, but it seems odd that he won't be part of the team anymore. Hope he goes to Gentoo or Ubuntu.

Interesting discussion about the business of Linux in their forums as well.

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewto...eda276296d3ede

Re: Linux News: Gael Duval Fired From Mandriva

maybe google or microsoft will hire him.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Update:

http://www.indidea.org/gael/en/fired-message.php

Mandriva appears to be shifting focus to the corporate realm, right where Red Hat/Fedora, and Suse/Novell are. So the hacker that kept saying "it's the community that drives us" gets the boot.

*shrugs*

It will be interesting to see the Ulteo project tacke shape.

Comment

Good ridens to them. They will learn that their fan base will drop when this happens. See what happened to Red Hat and Fedora?
        Kemotaha

Comment

Does this mean that the Linux OS's won't be free anymore? I have SuSE 9.1 and have used it in the past (although its really difficult to setup).

I like Linux although I don't use it as much as I have in the past anymore but I always liked the fact that they didn't charge you to obtain thier OS's.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
            Does this mean that the Linux OS's won't be free anymore? I have SuSE 9.1 and have used it in the past (although its really difficult to setup).

I like Linux although I don't use it as much as I have in the past anymore but I always liked the fact that they didn't charge you to obtain thier OS's.
            Mandriva has a "Club" system, where you pay them for access to the CDs and the updates for a defined period of time. They release a "kneecaped" version "Free" for people to try out.

You should take another look at Suse. They now are up to 10.1 or something, and have 3 branches: Suse, Novell Desktop, and OpenSuse. OpenSuse is just like the boxed version, only it has no support, and moves very, very quickly.

Comment

The main reason why I stopped using SuSE was because it was very, very difficult to run games on. Its great as a server but the programming to get it to play games is more work than its worth; IMO.

[volun][drill]
              I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

The main reason why I stopped using SuSE was because it was very, very difficult to run games on. Its great as a server but the programming to get it to play games is more work than its worth; IMO.
                Linux has gotten better. Not much, but still, it's better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemotaha
                  Good ridens to them. They will learn that their fan base will drop when this happens. See what happened to Red Hat and Fedora?
                  Heh, you mean the fan base that didn't pay them anything? The real money is to be made in corporate contracts, not in individual home users.

What's happened with RedHat and Fedora? Fedora is aimed at home users and nonproduction environments.. RedHat Enterprise Linux is aimed at corporations and production environments..
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                    Linux has gotten better. Not much, but still, it's better.
                    I'll og abck if you tellme I can make a retro box and play all my old DOS games in Linux without too much trouble.

Because right now I'm pulling my hair out with my Windows version retro box. I can only get a few of my old DOS games to even function in Windows. And 90% of them have no sound.

[volun][drill]
                    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I'll og abck if you tellme I can make a retro box and play all my old DOS games in Linux without too much trouble.

Because right now I'm pulling my hair out with my Windows version retro box. I can only get a few of my old DOS games to even function in Windows. And 90% of them have no sound.
                      Retrogaming is not a problem. It's modern ones that are tricky.

Here is a rather comprehensive list of emulators:

http://www.usinglinux.org/emulators/

Dosbox does a very good job, even better than it does on Windows.

There is also a scummvm, that runs all the old Lucas Arts stuff that for some reason is missing from that list.

Comment

DosBox is annoying, I just DLed it to run on my retro box running Win2k and there is about 40 commands just to get intot he directory where my games are. Not to mention another 20 commands to get it to see my CD-Rom.

I'm gonna check out that link, maybe I'll use Linux for my retrobox.

Thanks. :)

[volun][drill]
                        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Have you read his update on his personal site?

Its some good reading:

http://www.indidea.org/gael/en/fired-message.php
                          "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert E.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                            Heh, you mean the fan base that didn't pay them anything? The real money is to be made in corporate contracts, not in individual home users.

What's happened with RedHat and Fedora? Fedora is aimed at home users and nonproduction environments.. RedHat Enterprise Linux is aimed at corporations and production environments..
                            Yeah, but still they lost numbers and alot of the open source got really sour with them. It is not that they charge for they enterprise system, it is more of the fact that they stop giving back to the open source community. All to often these distro's start to try to make more money off their distro and to do that they start hiding things in it and not giving their improvements back to the community.

It was really sad to see that happen to Ximian when Novell bought them. The prime example was the exchange connector. It was out about a year before it was released without paying for a license. Little things like that happen when you have the mindset that you have to split the distro to make the money. Just my 2 cents.
                            Kemotaha

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X