Book, movie or game recommendation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book, movie or game recommendation?

I am looking for a book, movie or game recommendation. I really enjoy a good immersive story. I want to be completely engrossed in the characters and fictional world that has been created. I have realised that the type of book, movie or game I like the most often involves conspiracies in which the main character finds himself entangled. I like being challenged into analysing characters for myself to find out thier true feelings and alliances.

I really enjoyed George Orwell's '1984'. I loved the dark atmosphere that Orwell created and how Winston attempted to uncover the lies surrounding Big Brother only to find more lies and conspiracy. This book gave the feeling that you were always on the brink of discovering a closley gaurded secret and because of that I couldn't put this book down. I liked how you could read this book and simply enjoy it as a story but you could also be chanllenged mentally by the psychology of it.

I also quite like films like The Bourne Identity and Minority Report for thier conspiracies and films like The Return for the dark atmoshpere. I like the fact that in these films there are characters that you never completely understand.

Deus Ex is probably my favourite single player game. The ability to play the game the way you want to play it is very effective in immersing you in the story. I loved the dark atmoshpere and the feeling that you were actually in a real society. The fact that you could interact with so many characters and read newspapers and hack into peoples email accounts enforced this idea that you were part of a very real world. One of the things that caused me to enjoy this game so much was the fact that there was a story to follow and you were not simply charging around trying to free 'the girl' and kill 'the bad guy'. Remember the bit in Operation Flashpoint where everyone was evacuating the island? The way that made me feel like I was a small person in a massive world was awesome.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a book, movie or game that follows these ideas? It doesn't need to be non-stop action, the most important thing for me right now is the story and characters.

-0b1

Re: Book, movie or game recommendation?

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

My relatives came over yesterday (which is why I wasn't playing BF2 like I wanted :() But my aunt knows I'm between jobs at the moment and also knows I like to play games, she bought me this game and I've gotta say, I've been playing it all morning and its quite immersive. There is a story line that involves you and quests BUT, like GTA you don't have to follow them and do anything you want. I've tried being a thief, but I get caught a lot. I've tried picking locks, but I break a lot of lock picks, I've stolen stuff from the military, managed to sneak intoa barn and robbed the place blind, snuck into a stable and robbed the sleeping caretaker of his gold. I killed a store owner because he wouldn't sell me anything cause I didn't have enough money. After I killed him I robbed his store. But, like I said, I get caught....a lot.

I did find one thing I'm good at though. Beating the crap out of gladiators in the Arena. So thats what I'm currently doing now. And when I'm not doing that I'm traveling outside of the city trying to find things to mix together to make spells and potions.

There is a lot to do in this game, a lot to read, learn and many different paths you can take. I sugest this game.

Now, I'm going to get back to beating up gladiators until the BF2 server populates.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game" and the tangent series that follows one of the other characters, Bean. Basic premise is that earth has been attacked by beligerent aliens (When you read the book, it doesnt seem as far fetched), and kid geniuses are brought up to learn the art of war and then combat the aliens.

In the tangent series, after the war all the kid geniuses are brought back to their respective countries. The countries of the world fight over these war geniuses, and most of the story centers around one of these kids.

In both series, the author is extremely good at developing the characters and you really get a good idea of what theyre thinking, which is even better because they are geniuses. Its also interesting to see how the world turns out with all these kid geniuses running the show and the wars.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
        Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game" and the tangent series that follows one of the other characters, Bean. Basic premise is that earth has been attacked by beligerent aliens (When you read the book, it doesnt seem as far fetched), and kid geniuses are brought up to learn the art of war and then combat the aliens.

In the tangent series, after the war all the kid geniuses are brought back to their respective countries. The countries of the world fight over these war geniuses, and most of the story centers around one of these kids.

In both series, the author is extremely good at developing the characters and you really get a good idea of what theyre thinking, which is even better because they are geniuses. Its also interesting to see how the world turns out with all these kid geniuses running the show and the wars.
        Yes, I would also recommend the entire Ender's series. Quite good.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown .... Couldn't put it down... very well written.
          Lots of twists and secrects ....

A+++
          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
          [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For a great book pick up anythig by Carol Berge. She is an amazing author.

The best Single Player games in my mind was the Half Life Series. I couldn't quit playing.
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

I don't why this didn't come immediately to mind, but if you want immersion in a single player game, you need to get Civilization IV. You will start a game, get tired, say "just one more turn", and eventually realize that it's been 4 hours since you said, "just one more turn".

You'll find yourself not noticing that the sun is starting to rise and that you need to be at work in an hour.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Jim Butcher. Think of them as Magic Mystery Comedies, and then disregard that entire sentance ;)
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Book series recommendation: The Song of Ice and Fire
                  It is full of intrigue, amazingly written, with a whole original world that makes you want to read more, and more, and more. It is arguably my favorite book series.

Game recommendation: Final Fantasy Series (I prefer 7 and 10), Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
                  Great story lines, wonderful play. If you enjoy RPGs, of course. They are all for the PS2 console (though FF7 could be on PC or PS1). None of those are over $20, either, and offer at LEAST 40 hours of gameplay (on StarOcean, I'm like 50 hours in and still on disc1).

Comment

Book: The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.

A friend of mine was leant this book by a friend. It was so good he bought two copis, and posted one to me. It was so good I bought one and sent it to a friend. I have lent mine out to 5 different people and all of them have since bought a copy for themselves. In fact PM me your address and I'll buy a copy and post it to you.

I would explain what it is about but, well, I'm still trying to figure it out. Murakami is a literary genius, and this is his best. Immersive does not come close.

Comment

Ahah owch the Ender's Game and DaVinci Code recommendations hurt; I hated those books :D

These aren't exactly conspiracies, per se, but they've got characters that you're able to analyze yourself, unlike other books (cough those two above) where the author tells you what to think about a character. They also immerse you very well in the world, except for All The King's Men because it's set in real life so there's not much of a world to be immersed in:

Moby Dick
                      Brave New World
                      All The King's Men

If you're really dead set on conspiracies, Snow Crash and Neuromancer are good ones. I consider Snow Crash to be much closer to what you've described (characters where you form your own opinions), but Neuromancer does the "large world where you're just a part of it" thing pretty well too.

As for games, I second Chicken's recommendation of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It's an absolutely positively amazing game. Unfortunately, there's really not much else that compares with Deus Ex, as that game was and is pretty much one of the best ever.

As far as movies, I'd say watch "Serenity." If you like that, or if you have a friend who owns the DVDs, watch "Firefly," which is actually a TV show but it's also good. If you get a chance, ask around for Firefly BEFORE you watch Serenity.

Comment

this threads gives me an idea for a TG book club....seriously we should get a book picked and read a chapter or 2 a week and discuss...
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                          Ahah owch the Ender's Game and DaVinci Code recommendations hurt; I hated those books :D

These aren't exactly conspiracies, per se, but they've got characters that you're able to analyze yourself, unlike other books (cough those two above) where the author tells you what to think about a character. They also immerse you very well in the world, except for All The King's Men because it's set in real life so there's not much of a world to be immersed in:

Moby Dick
                          Brave New World
                          All The King's Men

If you're really dead set on conspiracies, Snow Crash and Neuromancer are good ones. I consider Snow Crash to be much closer to what you've described (characters where you form your own opinions), but Neuromancer does the "large world where you're just a part of it" thing pretty well too.

As for games, I second Chicken's recommendation of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It's an absolutely positively amazing game. Unfortunately, there's really not much else that compares with Deus Ex, as that game was and is pretty much one of the best ever.

As far as movies, I'd say watch "Serenity." If you like that, or if you have a friend who owns the DVDs, watch "Firefly," which is actually a TV show but it's also good. If you get a chance, ask around for Firefly BEFORE you watch Serenity.

Sorry to bother you bro ...... But not everyone has the same taste ...... you hated the book ... fine ... but don't put other peoples suggestions down ...

Plus, there must have been a reason the DaVinci Code was the longest books at Number #1.
                          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                          [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                            this threads gives me an idea for a TG book club....seriously we should get a book picked and read a chapter or 2 a week and discuss...
                            Ew. Reading. Enders game is literally the only book ive ever read that i wasnt forced to read.

Comment

I have to recommend "The Gunslinger" series by stephen king. 7 books long but great all the way through. Completely unlike any other story ive read.

The worlds he creates in the series are completely immersive and detailed and the characters even moreso. I say pick up the first two books and you wont be able to read another book till youre finished with all 7.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X