Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Dapper Drake

Rocks.

Solid, easy to use, very few installed programs (just the way I like it).

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake

Without clicking on that link, I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Great Link Mateo but the distro is primarily based of Gnome. www.ubuntu.com . For those that don't want to click on the link, this is basically a Linux Distro that took Debian and started to make it user friendly. They have a sold financially backing and have some great goals for competing with Microsoft. As a distro it has come a long was from debian. I used debian for I found Ubuntu about a year and a half ago and switched. It has been cool to see the development take place and the developers respond to the users. They have been ranked with the most hits on distrowatch.com for over a year. Amazing growth but they have the right idea to make it happen.

I predict that within 3 years they are up to 5% computer marketshare if not higher but then again, I am just a geek :)
      Kemotaha

Comment

I'd switch to Linux in a hearbeat if

A. You could play games easier and

B. I wasn't a complete idiot

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
          I'd switch to Linux in a hearbeat if

A. You could play games easier and

B. I wasn't a complete idiot
          Ditto, except I'm only a partial idiot... :row__631:
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I haven't messed with linus in ages, I used to be a slackware guy but now they have all these different packages and even those 'Live' CDS. I'd like to install linux on an old clunker PC at some point but not sure when I'll do it or what distro I'll use.
            It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

When did Linux get a rep for being only for brains?

Yes, in the early days installing and using linux was geek trial by fire, but now? Instert a live cd into the DVD or CD drive, reboot, hit enter, and you are off and running.

Are the apps unfamiliar? Sure. You can familiarize yourself by using Open Office, GIMP, Firefox, and a host of other programs on Windows.

Are the apps badly named? Definitely. For example, getting my Verizon DSL account running, I had to open a terminal and type pppoe.conf. That app configures point to point protocol over ethernet (PPPoE). The name sucks, though.

Do you still need to use the command line? Not for all distributions. I'm sure a normal Ubuntu/Kubuntu user barely spends 15 minutes in a terminal any given day. You just don't need to go there unless you are installing source code, or updating your desktop environment.

Gaming? Not there yet. Some windows games run, others do not. It depends on: how much windows specific code the game developer uses, and whether you can hack around that.

If a game runs on Cedega, simply tell it to install the game, pray, and it may just work. If not, be prepared to fight the code, your hardware, and your patience. Is that any different from XP? How many BF2 doesn't run on my uberleet system threads are there?

So why bother with Linux at all?

You could use the Linux standard line: it's free, it supports choice, it gets away from a one company monopoly, etc. etc.

I use it because its fun.

XP isn't fun. It has no personality. It sits there, does what I ask, and only gives me feedback if Microsoft has some new application or patch to peddle. It's a gigantic resource hog on my system, and I keep the registry tight, the disk defragged, and the cache clean.

Linux is more like that old MG, Alfa, or Jaguar in the driveway. It's fun to tinker with, and when it is up and running, its a blast.

Comment

I was going to play around with it on an old laptop, but the live CD didn't work correctly, and I have no intentions of actually installing it onto the harddrive.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                  Do you still need to use the command line? Not for all distributions. I'm sure a normal Ubuntu/Kubuntu user barely spends 15 minutes in a terminal any given day. You just don't need to go there unless you are installing source code, or updating your desktop environment.
                  15 minutes in a terminal? I do ZERO command line BS with WinXP. I don't want to have to memorize command line crap. I don't want to have to look up command line crap. I don't want to have to type in command line crap. This is 2006 and there are better interfaces for computing.

XP isn't fun. It has no personality. It sits there, does what I ask...
                  An OS that just sits there and works? Exactly what I want...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                    When did Linux get a rep for being only for brains?

Yes, in the early days installing and using linux was geek trial by fire, but now? Instert a live cd into the DVD or CD drive, reboot, hit enter, and you are off and running.

Are the apps unfamiliar? Sure. You can familiarize yourself by using Open Office, GIMP, Firefox, and a host of other programs on Windows.

Are the apps badly named? Definitely. For example, getting my Verizon DSL account running, I had to open a terminal and type pppoe.conf. That app configures point to point protocol over ethernet (PPPoE). The name sucks, though.

Gaming? Not there yet. Some windows games run, others do not. It depends on: how much windows specific code the game developer uses, and whether you can hack around that.

If a game runs on Cedega, simply tell it to install the game, pray, and it may just work. If not, be prepared to fight the code, your hardware, and your patience. Is that any different from XP? How many BF2 doesn't run on my uberleet system threads are there?

So why bother with Linux at all?

You could use the Linux standard line: it's free, it supports choice, it gets away from a one company monopoly, etc. etc.

I use it because its fun.

XP isn't fun. It has no personality. It sits there, does what I ask, and only gives me feedback if Microsoft has some new application or patch to peddle. It's a gigantic resource hog on my system, and I keep the registry tight, the disk defragged, and the cache clean.

Linux is more like that old MG, Alfa, or Jaguar in the driveway. It's fun to tinker with, and when it is up and running, its a blast.
                    No, I didn't mean Linux is only for brainy people. I meant if I were smart (and you could play games) I would switch to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      15 minutes in a terminal? I do ZERO command line BS with WinXP. I don't want to have to memorize command line crap. I don't want to have to look up command line crap. I don't want to have to type in command line crap. This is 2006 and there are better interfaces for computing.
                      Then don't. Noone is forcing you to do anything.

Notice, I said you only need to go to command line in a few instances, the rest can get done via the GUIs and wizards you are used to.

An OS that just sits there and works? Exactly what I want...
                      Then keep it. I don't really care at this point one way or the other if ANYONE ever uses Linux. I like it, and that's all I care about.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X