Diplomacy - looking for 7 players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy - looking for 7 players

Inspired by the Risk thread I have decided to GM a game of diplomacy amongst the TG members, using the http://www.dipbounced.com interface. It's free and easy, and does all the grunt work for you.

For anyone that does not know diplomacy is a board game set in Europe at the turn of the 20th century. It contains the 7 great powers (England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Austria and Turkey), in a bid for domination of all of Europe. You start with 3 home supply centres, and each of these allows you to have one unit. As you capture more SCs (either neutral, or those belonging to another player) you get to build more units. Obviously the more units you have the more powerful you are.

Combat is simple in theory, but extremely complicated in nature, and comprises a mixture of strategical and tactical thinking with, well plain old guess work to be honest! Each unit may be given one order per season, and on the whole this is either a move or a support. Units of equal strength bounce, so if I had an army in Munich and you had an army in Kiel, and you ordered your army to move into Kiel and I ordered my army to hold, then you would just bounce off of my army and not move in. However if you had a unit in Burgundy support your army from Kiel to Munich then you would have a 2 vs 1 situation, and your move order would be successful. Of course if I had a unit in Tyrolia supporting my army in Munich then it would be 2v2 and you would not get in. But then if you had an army in Piedmont and ordered it to move to Tyrolia then you would cut the support my army in Tyrolia was giving to my army in Munich, making it 2 vs 1 (Bur & Kie vs Mun), and thus you would get in.

Of course starting with 3 units there is not much you can do to stop a combined attack against you, and this is where the game gets it's name. You need to interact diplomatically with the other players. In the west for example the three powers of France, England and Germany have a tricky situation. Neither wants to be isolated against the other two, but how do you know your alliance is genuine? A good ally can lead to a strong stab, and then you lose everything. Thus agreements of NAPs (in this sense agreements not to enter a certain area), and 'mutual bounces' can help to stabilise a region, although it can lead to a loss of tempo, and thus slow your progression.

Well, enough about that! I would be loking to run a game of 48hrs / turn, which gives you good opportunity to review and think about your moves, as well as conduct press (the name for in game messages). If you are interested then sign up to the site and send me a PM. If I get 7 I will start a game. If I get more then I will start more games.

Re: Diplomacy - looking for 7 players

I've always wanted to get involved in a game of Diplomacy but never really got the chance. Count me in.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I've never played before, but I'm definitely interested. Count me in :)

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Ok I have 5 guys signed up already! When I get the 7th I will PM you guys for your dipbounced usernames, and then I'll create a game only for you guys and PM you the game name.

Ok, so here's a big question - do you want the games to be anonymous? That is you will probably figure out who the other 6 players are, but do you want others to know which power you are playing, and vice versa. My general feeling is that these games are always far more fun when you don't know who is who, and it stops any prior friendships swaying things.

Oh and one final note - this is a game. You will be stabbed, betrayed, lied to and cheated. It's the nature of the game so don't take it personally ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
          Ok, so here's a big question - do you want the games to be anonymous? That is you will probably figure out who the other 6 players are, but do you want others to know which power you are playing, and vice versa. My general feeling is that these games are always far more fun when you don't know who is who, and it stops any prior friendships swaying things.
          I like the idea of an anonymous game, but will the players be revealed at the end? (For gloating purposes only, of course ;) )

|TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I'm up for not knowing who I'm killing...should we use the Strategy forum for now?...make one thread and post it saying if you arent playing dont post here
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Im in, a browser based game I can play.

Comment

I just want to be the first to say "France?" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! :D

Comment

Your avatar already says it ;).

Comment

Once it's set up I'll start one up elsewhere. The in game functions handles all press and communication, so I'm more likely to just post up a commentary on what is going on. I won't reveal any press, just the map and a commentary on the moves made.

I'll go with the anonymous game. I'll list the players involved, but not tell anyone who is playing what power. But be careful guys, notable styles of typing can really give away who is who. I'll reveal it at the end, and maybe do a full report on how the game played out.

Waiting for one more player:

asch
                    black death
                    boudreux
                    el gringo grande
                    munhkin
                    trooper

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                      But be careful guys, notable styles of typing can really give away who is who.
                      Same with misspeeling! Be careful, Trooper ;)

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                        Same with misspeeling! Be careful, Trooper ;)

was that on purpose?
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

This sounds fun, I'll play!

Actually, before I commit, how long will the game last? Few days? Few weeks? Few months? Don't wanna get bored and leave others high and dry..
                          Last edited by perry; 03-28-2006, 03:36 PM.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Games could take months.. depends on how well you do to be honest.

Diplomacy works by you having to enter your move orders simultaneously. I will set a 48 hour time limit per move, with a 24hr adjust time limit. I will also enter it so that deadlines do not fall on a weeked. What this means is that a year in game will last roughly one week of real time. The more time you spend sending press and planning the better you might do, but in terms of commitment you should have no more than an hour a week.

A year is divided into 3 seasons (Spring, Fall and Winter). In the spring you set orders, and you will have 48 hours to get this done. The results of those orders may result in some units being dislodged (the posh term for kicked out) of an area. If this happens then there is an adjustment move for that season, and you have 24 hours to have this done. The Fall move is exactly the same as the Spring move apart from at the end of the Fall move any SCs occupied by one of your units is claimed by you. This happens whether you want it to or not. The winter phase is an adjustment phase. It allows you to build up more units in your home SCs if you have more SCs than units. If you have less then you must disband your units to get to equal numbers.

Typically a game will last for 12 - 20 years, although of course by that time you will have some people defeated. Typically you'll lose two powers within the first 5 years. I'll set an option so that players can consent to Now. That means that if everyone has put in orders and set th turn advancement to now then you will not have to wait for the deadline to fall for the game to progress. I can also set recesses, so if you are on holiday for a week we'll just pause the game. Typically expect a game to last a few months, but the time commitment for the game is very minimal.

Comment

bumping for player #7.. perry did you want it?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X